Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2019-05-31 22:46:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Textpattern forum maintenance - Friday, May 31 2019

Appart from the need for hunting for my password (domain change, Keychain did not automatically fill in the PW), everything went fine.

Question: is www-data [ at ]trident.textpattern.com the email address for all types of forum notifications?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2019-05-31 23:10:06

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #318336:

Question: is www-data [ at ]trident.textpattern.com the email address for all types of forum notifications?

The intention is to have contact [at] textpattern.com, which I thought we had. The email headers might tell another story, however – I haven’t checked that in detail yet as I’ve run out of day and need fresh eyes.

The trident part is the server name, and the network architecture is such that a server can be (re)built quickly with restored backups, so if and when we need to flatten a server and replace it with a new build, we can. www-data is the (unprivileged) user that runs the web stuff, and also the user PHP-FPM runs as, and fluxBB uses PHP to send email – hence the address. I’ve had a bit of a crash course in the quirks of fluxBB today, and although I thought the email envelope was set correctly throughout, there may be something we missed. We may be able to address (har har, etc) this with some tweaks, but I won’t promise anything.

I think you’re referring to the Return-Path or X-Mail-from header in the email, which is set to the address you stated. This helps email deliverability. One of the reasons the forum migration has taken so long is I’ve been reticent to have lots of email leave a ‘new’ IP without warming it up first. The old server was old enough to have gained a reputation as relatively safe. The new server, not so much. A PTR record is set for the new server, and an SPF entry in the DNS MX records confirm it’s a known sender, and those things alone help the deliverability of email these days.

The From address should be contact [at], if it’s not then please let me know.

#15 2019-06-01 03:06:47

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #318337:

The intention is to have contact [at] textpattern.com, which I thought we had. The email headers might tell another story, however – I haven’t checked that in detail yet as I’ve run out of day and need fresh eyes.[…]

The From address should be contact [at], if it’s not then please let me know.

The From address is indeed set as you say, the trident.texpattern.com is indeed the Return-Path. What prompted the question is that mail.app treated the first message(s) (notification) as junk. I’ve now added contact [at] textpattern.com to my address book, that issue should be gone. The good part of course is that the message(s) arrived, and got past Apples filters on .me and .icloud domains.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2019-06-01 14:12:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I’ve just spent 3 very strange days with Stallman and a bunch of other wonderful only to come back here and see the site seamlessly migrated.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

Board footer