Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-08-07 13:07:03

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Browser/privacy woes

phiw13 wrote #313311:

No, it is currently experimental technology, that is why it is opt-in. The Mozilla blog post makes clear that the intent is to make it the default by the end of the year. Luckily they seem to plan keeping the pref to turn it off (opt-out).

Firefox does not yet use DoH by default. – The Blog Post

I don’t get anything about “by the end of the year” from that sentence.

Conceptually, DNS over HTTPS is fine. And I understand the argument about rogue DNS servers when you connect from coffee shops or whatever. What I deeply dislike and distrust is that browser makers get to decide which DNS server I’m to use^1^.

If you look at the setup instructions, there is already the ability to set network.trr.uri to the resolver of your choice. See my comment above about possible settings.

Note: It also includes 6 possible settings for turning it on – Both 0 and 5 currently turn it off completely.

And worse, centralized in the hands of a couple of US mega corporations with deep ties to the US security state. If you don’t see the danger in that, I’ve got a lovely beach-front property in central Texas to sell you; dirt cheap!. (and see also your post in the other thread)

I guess part of it is for me is that by default my DNS is maintained by Comcast, the perpetual winner of the most hated corporation in America. Which not only also has deep ties to the US Government, but also owns NBC – one of the supposed watchdogs of the Security State.

1 And worse, decide for all users world wide.

SecureDNS (which is located in Amsterdam in the EU) sounds like a really good solution for anyone who is worried about privacy. If Firefox ever implements this, I will definition point it to this as my server.

#14 2018-08-07 13:24:36

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I just installed Bromite on my phone (running the brand-new Android Pie) and activated DNS over HTTPS. Unfortunately, you can only choose between Google and CloudFlare as it doesn’t allow manual entry of a resolver.

#15 2018-08-07 23:36:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #313319:

Firefox does not yet use DoH by default. – The Blog Post

I don’t get anything about “by the end of the year” from that sentence.

Hmm. On reading that blog post again maybe you are right, with the “by the end of the year” part.

If you look at the setup instructions, there is already the ability to set network.trr.uri to the resolver of your choice. See my comment above about possible settings.

Note: It also includes 6 possible settings for turning it on – Both 0 and 5 currently turn it off completely.

Sure, in that about:config arcane way, where even geeks have trouble finding their way. Perhaps they’ll provide some more human understandable UI, I wouldn’t put to much faith in that, after having been involved with the Gecko project for 15years, from more to less and less.

I guess part of it is for me is that by default my DNS is maintained by Comcast, the perpetual winner of the most hated corporation in America. Which not only also has deep ties to the US Government, but also owns NBC – one of the supposed watchdogs of the Security State.

Congratulations ! </sarcasm>. Major and not so major ISPs in the US are a disaster, as far as I understand it. Blessed me never had to deal with them… Where I live and where I have been in recent times, the situation ranges from pretty decent to reasonable (Japan, S. Korea, Vietnam, …). Those ISPs are still capitalist businesses, never trust them too much, though.

SecureDNS (which is located in Amsterdam in the EU) sounds like a really good solution for anyone who is worried about privacy. If Firefox ever implements this, I will definition point it to this as my server.

Yes, there are less shady operators available, and hopefully there will be more. But you’ll still need a decent UI to make it acceptable.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2018-08-26 17:24:21

zero
Website

jakob wrote #313282:

Brave maybe?

Thanks for the link, Jakob, I’ve been trying it out and I’m liking it.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#17 2018-08-27 16:12:49

Destry
Website

Am I reading this right? Mozilla will be giving you’re browsing history to a third party to personalize your ad experience? Ugh, if so. I’m done with Mozilla. And their new logo sucks. ;)

#18 2018-08-27 23:11:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah, that is one of their “ideas” to find a source of funding… Discussed as a “service” to improve your browsing life. Hopefully it will be optional, or easy to turn off.

Destry wrote #313655:

And their new logo sucks. ;)

Ditto that! Bring back the Dino.

#19 2018-08-28 00:45:11

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #313655:

And their new logo sucks. ;)

what! they abandoned Jon Hicks’ design?

Hot Hicks and his Firefox Licks

…. texted postive

#20 2018-08-28 10:23:24

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #313657:

Hot Hicks and his Firefox Licks

Cover band or male strippers?

#21 2018-08-28 19:01:48

bici
Website Mastodon

Jon is multi-talented i am sure ;-)

…. texted postive

#22 2018-08-29 14:55:19

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

#23 2018-08-31 07:56:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

On the flip side, Firefox will soon be more aggressive in blocking tracking scripts of all kind and further tightening what third-party cookies can do (similar to what Safari is doing with its Intelligent Tracking Prevention)

#24 2018-10-24 16:16:35

jakob
Admin
Website

zero wrote #313645:

Thanks for the link, Jakob, I’ve been trying it out and I’m liking it.

Hi Peter, I may have to backtrack on that recommendation. Having just watched Aral Balkan’s talk on Blendwebmix, (first keynote lecture on 24/10 – you have to scroll to the top of the list on that day and click – thanks for the pointer Destry), he highlighted some questionable practices by them that I wasn’t aware of – ditto Mozilla, ditto AdBlockPlus, ditto Ghostery…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer