Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-06-06 22:36:02

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Microsoft has been talking to GitHub about possible acquisition

gaekwad wrote #312400:

Same here. I don’t know how they make any money, though.

(Which is not to say they should go down the subscription route, but I do wonder how they’re still around.)

Transmit comes back to the Mac App store (via M. Tsai)

But yeah, Transmit is their main income (Coda for iOS does pretty well, I’m told).

philwareham wrote #312398:

(…) Textwrangler (BBEdit’s little, discontinued, brother).

You know that BBEdit is free and does all what Textwrangler did? But obviously, to have all the bells and toys you need to buy it

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#26 2018-06-07 00:22:05

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use Sublime Text? That is usually the one I see compared to Atom and VS Code.

#27 2018-06-07 03:17:46

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #312426:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use Sublime Text?

I have tried it… at least it is much faster that Atom (which can be really sluggish). The UI is less antagonistic to the macOS UI. I didn’t care much about their auto-complete system. On the flip side, general macOS integration is not great (cough, cough, but still better than Atom though): text editing / selection / etc, but also through Finder & Automator. Did I mention Applescript? Uh nope non-existent.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#28 2018-06-07 08:18:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

I use Sublime Text. Primarily because I like the plugins such as git gutter, docblockr and the git diff integration features. Tried all manner of editors prior to this and always got fed up with some feature or lack thereof. Not had that with Sublime yet, so I’ve stuck with it. With a dark theme of course, for those late night coding sessions.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#29 2018-06-08 14:08:47

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

What plans does Microsoft have regarding GitHub’s Atom text editor (which obviously overlaps in target user with VS Code)?

Developers are really particular about their setup, and choosing an editor is one of the most personal decisions a developer makes. Languages change, jobs change, you often get a new computer or upgrade your OS, but you usually pick an editor and grow with it for years. The last thing I would want to do is take that decision away from Atom users. Atom is a fantastic editor with a healthy community, adoring fans, excellent design, and a promising foray into real-time collaboration. At Microsoft, we already use every editor from Atom to VS Code to Sublime to Vim, and we want developers to use any editor they prefer with GitHub. So we will continue to develop and support both Atom and VS Code going forward. – I’m Nat Friedman, future CEO of GitHub. AMA.

I love the first response was a complaint from an Emacs user.

#30 2018-08-11 11:45:37

Destry
Website

This thread turned into something about text editors, or something, but there’s more to the actual tragicomedy.

Gitlab is migrating to Google servers. Projects in many countries now blocked. Ugh.

Kneejerk leapfrogging from one centralized lillypad to another never seems to balance out, does it.

Bloke is right, if you ever do move, host you’re own. Gitea, for example.

#31 2018-08-13 13:48:55

JimJoe
Website

I don’t much care for Microsoft as I have had to install their OS on computers for decades. But I’m retired now. I don’t have anything on GitHub.

Board footer