SPECIAL REPORT The ins and outs
How to fix what has gone wrong with the internet

…. texted postive

#43 2018-07-04 08:51:05

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Decentralized software alternatives

Webfaction have recently added the possibility to install Gitea which I hadn’t seen until now as a self-hosted alternative to Github and co (though it has always been possible to set up git repos for CLI access or using a GUI program).

One ‘problem’ (at the moment) with this tool and some of the others posted in this thread is that they more flexible web hosting, e.g. Gitea requires Go, and some of the above require node.js or Ruby which are not (as) common on shared hosting platforms (at the moment).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#44 2018-07-04 11:54:53

Destry
Website

bici wrote #312842:

How to fix what has gone wrong with the internet

Thanks! I’m already intrigued by that start. It highlights all the things I’ve been saying, which I’ve only learned from other sources myself, of course. But clearly it’s a big and growing issue to get this attention. The natives are restless, and getting hungry.

I’ll look forward to this Jeffersonian/Hamiltonian discussion. I don’t like duopoly thinking like that, because it’s never a this or that situation, but it could be useful for framing the discussion at first. We’ll see.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#45 2018-07-08 23:07:13

bici
Website

@francesca_bria

“Citizens should own their data. We need public alternatives that are decentralized, privacy-enhancing and rights preserving. We need democratic control & ethical digital standards for tech platforms to protect the digital sovereignty of citizens. That’s why we need @decodeproject “

…. texted postive

#46 2018-07-09 16:01:58

bici
Website

…. texted postive

#47 2018-07-10 12:16:24

Destry
Website

Don’t get me started on the TV.

Too late…

Our ISP is Free, which now provides these ‘FreeBox’ drives to get caple and internet (they will only rent both, you can’t just have internet alone even though it’s a separate box). The cable box is a Google Android drive, or at least runs some form of Android OS. The drives take long moments to get up to speed and the network to be accessible, then you’re given this fawking menu of Google shiza, with Google talk on the standby, SpewTub videos pushed in your face, on and on… All designed in such a way that it’s way too easy to accidentally click into it via the ever-confusing remote control (oddly enough fewer buttons but more cryptic in function). The actual TV menu is buried under all this stuff so you have to click 3 times to get to it, instead of being right on top and active by default — because, you know, TELEVISION! It’s infuriating that Google is forced into our home like this (and especially a home where someone like me lives).

It’s a seriously painful compromise, both from a technology standpoint and family standpoint (who are not as concerned about such things despite my attempts at explaining them).

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#48 2018-07-10 12:54:16

michaelkpate
Website

My ISP is Comcast, our local cable company. The only other option is DSL from our local phone company but that hasn’t been upgraded in at least 15 years so it is still only a max of 3 Mb/s. When I became a cord-cutter (meaning we no longer pay for television channels just internet) a couple of years ago, I gathered up all their equipment and took it to the office. Everything connects to my own modem and router.

I just bought a new Vizio TV – 4K Ultra HDR – a few weeks ago. When you start it up you are presented with a screen of Apps – Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and 4 or 5 others before YouTube followed by a few more. Last year I subscribed to Sony’s Playstation Vue streaming service but the cost increased in November from $29.95 to $39.95 and last week to $44.95 so it isn’t even a viable option at this point. I actually have a Roku as well but rarely bother to use because the TV has most of what I need at this point.

The biggest downside is that I can remember waiting for televisions to warm up as a child. Then in the 1980s, we had instant on. Now modern tvs have come full circle back to the interminable startup time.

#49 2018-07-10 14:50:19

gaekwad
Admin

jakob wrote #312846:

One ‘problem’ (at the moment) with this tool and some of the others posted in this thread is that they more flexible web hosting, e.g. Gitea requires Go, and some of the above require node.js or Ruby which are not (as) common on shared hosting platforms (at the moment).

I moved from shared hosting to VPS in about 2006, and paid through the nose for ‘good’ managed hosting on Media Temple until about 2012 or so. I slimmed down on domains, hosting and other online service bills from 2012 to about 2014 and purchased my first Raspberry Pi.

The difference that made to me was night and day. I learned how to set up and administer Linux servers, my confidence grew and I vastly reduced my reliance on the managed hosting I’d been paying for. From there, I went over to DigitalOcean, signed up for a $5 server (droplet) and iterated server builds over and over and over and over until I was happy. All the setup steps are documented, and the process of writing a document was also incredibly useful. The document lives in a git repo, so I can iterate the setup scripts and always have a backup copy.

I say this because a DO droplet would be perfect for a Gitea or GitLab instance (Gitea is a bit less hungry on resources than GitLab), and if you have the time & inclination to learn to do this, the benefits from learning and doing are amazing.

#50 2018-07-10 21:55:12

michaelkpate
Website

The ethical Instagram alternative @pixelfed is launching soon, but did you know that there’s another federated photo sharing site in development?

It’s called #Anfora (previously known as Zinat) and it’s been developed in co-operation with #PixelFed so that they will be as compatible as possible (and they both use #ActivityPub).

Anfora is asking for help and feedback, links below:

Official account:
https://mastodon.social/@anfora

GitHub:
https://github.com/anforaProject/anfora

Dev’s account:
https://mstdn.io/@yabirgb

Source

Board footer