Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2018-04-14 06:51:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

Destry wrote #311027:

If we’re talking about shitdip Donald (and not Donald Swain), I can kind of see your point. People like that need to be held accountable because they are extremely controversial, influential, and powerful.

Hi Destry, I am thinking of shitdip Donald:). An artist we exhibited twice in our space created a project re Swain, part of which can be found on youtube, so I am also aware of the dangers of the inadequate laws.

The problem we are facing is that technology creeps in, very shyly in the beginning, but it’s not long before it becomes spread, and an integrated part of our daily lives. Think of mobile phones for example, or self driving cars which promise/threaten to become the norm in the foreseeable future. Another artist / writer we have presented said that technology is developing faster than our laws. The particular book was finished whilst he was staying with us. The problem, as I see it, is that both technologies AND laws are creeping into our lives in a way that affects our rights. The post 9/11 era is characterised by state suctioned paranoia, enhanced by the hegemonic neo-liberal economic systems. Their combined effect on both technology developments, and our new laws, are leading us to a path reminiscent of totalitarian, extremist, times which basically allows governments to entrap their citizens. Or as you pointed out:

“Multiple changes in this area include CNIL agents being allowed to carry out the online checks under a borrowed identity.”

jakob wrote #311030:

Someday maybe we’ll all descend on you and can discuss this all and more in person ;-) I just read your cookie notice and just had to say it made me laugh!

You are all very welcome to come! I’m glad you laughed on that one. I’m trying to make it even funnier… Suggestions are always accepted:)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#86 2018-04-14 17:25:27

colak
Admin

I just came across this old cookieless cookie solution which provides us with some food for thought.

Yiannis
——————————

#87 2018-04-15 08:37:38

Destry
Website

colak wrote #311043:

I just came across this old cookieless cookie solution which provides us with some food for thought.

That’s interesting. As are the extra details explained in wikipedia.

Others might grasp it better than me, so consider this a spill of the pick-up-sticks only, but my first reaction is:

1. This would qualify as personal data because it could be used in combination with other data to identify you. Similar logic as was argued for IP addresses after comparison with ISP logs (rare scenarios, yes, but the ruling was: it counts as personal data).
  2. Etags are hard to detect?, which means using them without opt-in from data subjects can get you in serious hot water. (Class-action lawsuits over it already years ago, might see more of those now.)
  3. Controllers can set Etag headers, but it’s optional? Though they have no authority over browser and web server design, so onus is on users there to browse anonymously, clear cache, etc.
  4. Controllers would need to account for “Etag headers” in their policies about whether they’re using them or not, why, etc. (‘if you keep using this site, you agree to the Etags for caching purposes’ … whatever) or (‘This site does not use Etags. The browser may set them but you can use safe-mode, etc’).

As the article seems to say, the risk of this is kind of small, because their are bugs with a totally undetectable implementation, and it doesn’t work at all if users browse with anonymous browsing mode on, for example.

How do Etags factor into Txp caching plugins? Are the headers added in that case?

#88 2018-04-15 08:45:25

Destry
Website

colak wrote #311034:

You are all very welcome to come! I’m glad you laughed on that one. I’m trying to make it even funnier… Suggestions are always accepted:)

A Txp meetup in Greece! That would be wonderfully appropriate.

Yes, the cookie policy is great. Something I might have wrote. ;)

#89 2018-04-15 09:15:51

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #311051:

A Txp meetup in Greece! That would be wonderfully appropriate.

Make that Cyprus:) (Think Greece but with British type of organisation and Westminster based legal system)

Yiannis
——————————

#90 2018-04-16 09:14:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Here is something else I have been pondering: what happens with AMP pages? You make sure your site is GDPR compliant, then you serve your page through AMP. A visitor receives a link to your site from someone (friend / twitter / …) who found it through google on a mobile device. The URL he or she receives is to the AMP page, which is loaded with Google stuff. Technically it is your site, but it is also Googles.

Quid of your privacy policy?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#91 2018-04-16 15:33:47

Destry
Website

colak wrote #311052:

Make that Cyprus :)

Noted. Sorry. I read that in your site too, and it still came out wrong. I’m vaguely aware of Cyprus history, but refreshing up on it just now was worthwhile. You’re in the internationally recognized side, I take it?

#92 2018-04-16 15:44:03

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #311063:

what happens with AMP pages?

You probably don’t want to hear what I would suggest about AMP (Google in general).

But I don’t know what kind of data AMP has access to in your code. Depends on what’s marked up, I guess. If it’s got fingers on private data, then me thinks that would concern the third-party ‘pocessor’ sections of the GDPR because that’s what Google is in that case, I think. You’re not paying them to process data, but you’ve kind of entered an agreement with them to do so by using their “free” service.

#93 2018-04-16 16:00:22

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #311074:

You probably don’t want to hear what I would suggest about AMP (Google in general).

I think AMP was wonderful as we ended up with pages that loaded in 1-2 seconds instead of 20-30. Yes, Google bullied Publishers but in this case, they deserved it.

But as long as they don’t go back to their old-corrupt slow-loading ways (and I don’t think they dare), AMP can probably be considered successful and retired.

#94 2018-04-16 16:04:27

colak
Admin

Destry wrote #311073:

You’re in the internationally recognized side, I take it?

Indeed:)

Yiannis
——————————

#95 2018-04-16 19:27:22

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #311075:

…pages that loaded in 1-2 seconds instead of 20-30.

I guess your not talking about a Txp site, or are you?

What was it about the site prior to AMP that was making it so slow?

#96 2018-04-16 19:36:42

bici
Website Mastodon

i had never heard of AMP until now

I have become an internet relic.

…. texted postive

Board footer