Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#433 2018-07-18 10:55:04

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

EU hits Google with €5B fine for Android shoving.

I think I’ll report Google and Free to CNIL for forcing Android into my television through FreeBox. Fockers.

#434 2018-07-18 13:29:47

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #313062:

EU hits Google with €5B fine for Android shoving.

In other words, Google was fined for not being Apple and allowing manufacturers to use Android. No one was required to enter an agreement – lots of companies like, for instance, Amazon have used the code from Android Open Source Project to create devices completely independently.

The free distribution of the Android platform, and of Google’s suite of applications, is not only efficient for phone makers and operators—it’s of huge benefit for developers and consumers. If phone makers and mobile network operators couldn’t include our apps on their wide range of devices, it would upset the balance of the Android ecosystem. So far, the Android business model has meant that we haven’t had to charge phone makers for our technology, or depend on a tightly controlled distribution model. – Sundar Pichai

This reminds me of the whole Browser Choice thing from 2010: Hey, Microsoft, because you sell a lot of copies of Windows you have to do things that Apple doesn’t. Now what we really want is for every copy of Windows to come with Opera preinstalled and set as default but since we can’t actually say that so instead you have to give everyone a choice of a bunch of browsers no one ever heard of and even less people want to use.

Ironically, the number one thing people do with Edge is download Chrome.

#435 2018-07-18 15:06:34

Destry
Website

Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon… I couldn’t care less about any of them or their products. It’s all tech giant lock-in one way or the other. I look forward to the day I’m free of them all.

I’m really hoping Purism’s Librem 5 phone comes through. It’s laptops are already proving to be popular with owners, but to provide a totally independent phone option, a big hurdle for sure, will be significant. I hope more companies will follow when the ice is broken.

#436 2018-07-18 16:06:09

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#437 2018-07-18 16:45:24

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

#438 2018-07-18 18:23:17

bici
Website Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #313067:

DuckDuckGo

Go DuckDuck Go!

…. texted postive

#439 2018-07-19 04:02:20

bici
Website Mastodon

“We have to guard against the tendency for social media to become purely a platform for spectacle and outrage and disinformation.”
Barack Obama

…. texted postive

#440 2018-07-19 10:12:02

Destry
Website

O’s rehearsed message is right, but I’m want to say…

Ah, O, the silver-tongued slickster, who all the neolibs love to croon about, and who are represented by the very ‘spectacle’ O speaks of — case in point — as they pontificate at the high podiums of their verified ‘celebrity’ accounts.

If O really new what he was talking about when it comes to socmed, he’d be telling people to GTFO Twitter and FB. Stat!

I wish one person having any widely-known status at all would have the gonads to say that. Even Dash fails here (expectedly a ‘verified’ response). His article is better than the humorous title, but in the end it’s just another ‘we can save Twitter’ crock of shiza pudding.

#441 2018-07-19 10:26:59

Destry
Website

While I’m on that little rant, I should probably add…

Trill and OpenBook are two centralized platforms I would never use, but they might appeal to many users (albeit not the ego-driven, rage-infused celebrities) of Twitter and Facebook, respectively, and be much better options.

I know the fediverse is the domain of decentralizationists (though many still happily use centralized platforms, and vice versa) but if centralized upstarts help pull from big tech usage as the latters’ reputations continue to erode, that’s a good thing, I think.

There are certain stupid, geeky brand names I’m just sick of hearing and seeing. Time for some new ones, both centralized and decentralized, and especially more of the latter.

Trill is cool because their is no data collected to use it, not even an email address, and your identity is 100% anonymous. You have no choice. And that it’s created by a group of high schoolers is impressive. (Though that’s probably the end-user demographic.)

OpenBook (an odd choice of name, all things considered), comes out of France and has a much more ethical model of operation, not the least of which is no ads and a sizeable donation to charity of all profits.

#442 2018-07-19 12:55:32

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #313071:

“We have to guard against the tendency for social media to become purely a platform for spectacle and outrage and disinformation.”
Barack Obama

He should know because his Administration mastered using social media to manipulate the press and the uninformed. If you have never read The Aspiring Novelist Who Became Obama’s Foreign-Policy Guru, I recommend it.

This is from Ben Rhodes, his deputy National Security Adviser (who coincidentally is the brother of CBS News President David Rhodes).

In the spring of last year, legions of arms-control experts began popping up at think tanks and on social media, and then became key sources for hundreds of often-clueless reporters. “We created an echo chamber,” he admitted, when I asked him to explain the onslaught of freshly minted experts cheerleading for the deal. “They were saying things that validated what we had given them to say.” When I suggested that all this dark metafictional play seemed a bit removed from rational debate over America’s future role in the world, Rhodes nodded. “In the absence of rational discourse, we are going to discourse the [expletive] out of this,” he said. “We had test drives to know who was going to be able to carry our message effectively, and how to use outside groups like Ploughshares, the Iran Project and whomever else. So we knew the tactics that worked.” He is proud of the way he sold the Iran deal. “We drove them crazy,” he said of the deal’s opponents.

Also:

When I later visited Obama’s former campaign mastermind David Axelrod in Chicago, I brought up the soft Orwellian vibe of an information space where old media structures and hierarchies have been erased by Silicon Valley billionaires who convinced the suckers that information was “free” and everyone with access to Google was now a reporter. Axelrod, a former newspaperman, sighed. “It’s not as easy as standing in front of a press conference and speaking to 70 million people like past presidents have been able to do,” he said. The bully pulpit by and large doesn’t exist anymore, he explained. “So more and more, over the last couple of years, there’s been an investment in alternative means of communication: using digital more effectively, going to nontraditional sources, understanding where on each issue your constituencies are going to be found,” he said. “I think they’ve approached these major foreign-policy challenges as campaign challenges, and they’ve run campaigns, and those campaigns have been very sophisticated.”

Early on, Rhodes asked her to create a rapid-response account that fact-checked everything related to the Iran deal. “So, we developed a plan that was like: The Iran deal is literally going to be the tip of everything that we stand up online,” Somanader says. “And we’re going to map it onto what we know about the different audiences we’re dealing with: the public, pundits, experts, the right wing, Congress.” By applying 21st-century data and networking tools to the white-glove world of foreign affairs, the White House was able to track what United States senators and the people who worked for them, and influenced them, were seeing online — and make sure that no potential negative comment passed without a tweet. As she explained how the process worked, I was struck by how naïve the assumption of a “state of nature” must seem in an information environment that is mediated less and less by experienced editors and reporters with any real prior knowledge of the subjects they write about. “People construct their own sense of source and credibility now,” she said. “They elect who they’re going to believe.” For those in need of more traditional-seeming forms of validation, handpicked Beltway insiders like Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic and Laura Rozen of Al-Monitor helped retail the administration’s narrative. “Laura Rozen was my RSS feed,” Somanader offered. “She would just find everything and retweet it.”

Obama is right but we should have been doing this a long time ago.

#443 2018-07-19 15:08:41

bici
Website Mastodon

Thanks for the updates michaelkpate and destry.
I have some reading ahead of me.

…. texted postive

#444 2018-07-19 15:30:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Getting back to the EU-Google Ruling:

Today the situation is very different: that contractual limitation could go away tomorrow (or, more accurately, in 90 days), and it wouldn’t really matter because, as I explained above, many apps are no longer Android apps but are rather Google Play apps. To run on an Android fork is by no means impossible, but most would require more rework than simply uploading to a new App Store. In short, in my estimation the real antitrust issue is Google contractually foreclosing OEMs from selling devices with non-Google versions of Android; the only way to undo that harm in 2018, though, would be to make Google Play Services available to any Android fork. – The European Commission Versus Android

I think this is exactly right. Most people who buy an Android Phone are going to expect to get Chrome and Google as defaults so most OEMs are going to change it anyway. And since most of them I assume at this point have a collection of Apps from the Play Store they are going to want that as well. This could actually work out to Google’s benefit but even if it doesn’t it probably won’t be much of a loss either.

Board footer