Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#81 2018-05-10 22:55:35

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Testers needed: flat development (4.7+ only)

etc wrote #311679:

To continue testing flat resources (css, js etc) output in 4.7-rc, you need to activate the following plugin:

# Name: etc_easter_eggs v0.2...

DISCLAIMER: we hope to “officially” integrate this functionality in 4.7.1+, but probably in a different way. So please be ready for changes if you use it now.

Hi Oleg, can you briefly explain why (what it does). I take it we need to include this in addition to your earlier etc_flat?

I’ve tried etc_flat now in normal and multisite installations, and it works nicely once you get into a proper workflow.
You just need to remember a) you need to be logged in and b) in testing or debugging mode. I’ve confused myself a number of times when trying in another browser (where I was, of course, not logged in) or after uploading from local to online where status is switched to live and I then wonder why my changes haven’t been implemented (because I’d forgotten to reimport back into the database from the flat files).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#82 2018-05-11 08:08:00

etc
Developer
Website

jakob wrote #311680:

Hi Oleg, can you briefly explain why (what it does). I take it we need to include this in addition to your earlier etc_flat?

Hi Julian,

yes, it’s complementary to etc_flat atm, though I hope in 4.7.1 we’ll merge them together into some “flat” package. The etc_flat part is mainly aimed to the site development, like rah|oui_flat plugins. And the etc_eastern_eggs part is more like rah_external_output, with an extra ability to serve the content (css, js, ...) from flat files.

I’ve tried etc_flat now in normal and multisite installations, and it works nicely once you get into a proper workflow.
You just need to remember a) you need to be logged in and b) in testing or debugging mode. I’ve confused myself a number of times when trying in another browser (where I was, of course, not logged in) or after uploading from local to online where status is switched to live and I then wonder why my changes haven’t been implemented (because I’d forgotten to reimport back into the database from the flat files).

That’s exactly why it is not yet included as core feature: we get the basic functionality, but the workflow is not quite clear. Please feel free to suggest any improvements you see, thanks.

#83 2018-05-11 20:37:38

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #311690:

And the etc_eastern_eggs part is more like rah_external_output, with an extra ability to serve the content (css, js, ...) from flat files.

So it’s for handling other mime-types via the styles panel. Thanks for clearing that up.

That’s exactly why it is not yet included as core feature: we get the basic functionality, but the workflow is not quite clear. Please feel free to suggest any improvements you see, thanks.

I’ve not thought this through in any detail and what all the implications are.

The current setup allows you to fiddle around in the background as a logged-in user without affecting the public site which is nice for making quick fixes without temporarily borking the front-end while you’re doing it. That was a facility we never had in the past.

But it also makes it harder to test across multiple browsers or devices because they are not logged in and logging in elsewhere can throw you out of your current session. (Or am I mistaken, and there’s a way to be logged in across multiple browsers and devices?).

Maybe the addition of an override switch that forces loading from the flat files regardless of site status or logged-in status is all that’s needed to make it easier for web developers to work, e.g. on a staging site or local webserver. When on, the flat files would be used regardless, when off, the current behaviour would apply. What do other people think?

#84 2018-05-12 07:38:18

etc
Developer
Website

jakob wrote #311704:

The current setup allows you to fiddle around in the background as a logged-in user without affecting the public site which is nice for making quick fixes without temporarily borking the front-end while you’re doing it. That was a facility we never had in the past.

But it also makes it harder to test across multiple browsers or devices because they are not logged in and logging in elsewhere can throw you out of your current session. (Or am I mistaken, and there’s a way to be logged in across multiple browsers and devices?).

That’s not really specific to the flat development. A logged in user will be served templates from the current theme (s)he works on, whatever section. The unlogged users are always served the themes attached to the current section. So there is always a possibility of discrepancy, be it served from db or fs, but it’s by design. You can safely develop a sandboxed theme without exposing it to the world. The flat dev just adds an extra sandbox for logged in users in the debug mode, switching between db and fs.

I agree that can be confusing, especially since different users can work on different themes. Which one should then be served to the unlogged visitors? A global switch to fs does not completely solves this problem.

#85 2018-05-12 10:44:20

jakob
Admin
Website

etc wrote #311711:

That’s not really specific to the flat development …

Yes, I get that, and it’s a good idea too.

My suggestion above with an override switch would be to ignore that completely and to switch to flat files whatever the logged-in or site status is. In essence, it’s only for the purposes of theme web development work that would then only be suitable for local web development work or work on staging sites. But maybe someone else has a better idea?

#86 2018-05-12 11:16:34

etc
Developer
Website

It could behave like this in the debug mode, for example? Db for everyone in live mode, fs for logged users in test mode and fs for everyone in debug mode if flat is enabled?

#87 2018-05-14 07:47:47

jakob
Admin
Website

That sounds to me like a good recipe. That means, when the future “use flat files” setting is enabled:

• with a site status of testing, logged-in developers can modify and experiment with changes without them affecting the live site, as they can at present but using flat files. To make their changes go live, they need to “update the theme from the flat files” and switch back the site status to “live”. They can’t do cross-browser testing with this without logging in and out in the various browsers.
  • with a site status of debugging, developers can develop a theme – for example in a non-public development environment – using flat files and can check the results in several different browser windows without having to be logged in to textpattern in the other browsers.

Perhaps codewarrior can comment on whether these settings would work with automatic browser updating tools (which I’ve not used up to now). What do other people think?

#88 2018-05-14 17:10:39

etc
Developer
Website

Okay, etc_flat plugin amended this way. No need to be logged in in debug mode anymore. Mind, however, that if you have more than one theme installed, logged in users will be served from their “dev” theme, which can be different from the “public” one.

#89 2018-05-21 23:02:02

giz
Website

Hi Oleg/Anyone

Out of the blue etc_flat v0.1.1 stopped working (I can update a file-system theme, but the changes don’t show up on the site unless I manually trigger a theme update). This occurs in both Debug and Testing modes. I’ve tried re-exporting the Theme files to disk, but no change…

I’m running TXP 4.7.0 public-release. The only thing I can think of that may have triggered the change was re-assigning an existing admin user to new privileges – from Managing Editor to Publisher.

Can you advise how I might troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Gary

#90 2018-05-22 10:52:09

etc
Developer
Website

Hi Gary,

a mere switch from Managing Editor to Publisher shouldn’t change anything — both have skin privs. Overall, if only one theme is installed on the site, my only explication would be that the plugin is somehow broken/disabled. Otherwise, please check in txp_prefs table whether skin_editing pref of the concerned users corresponds to the theme you are working on. It could be that they were assigned a different theme (default?) when logging in and thus are seeing this theme and not the one you are working on. But then importing from disk to db shouldn’t help, though it might depend on sections.

No clearer idea, sorry.

Board footer