Sorry my horror English. I’m learning textpattern, I’m learning English

#14 2018-03-08 17:28:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.7.0 beta released

singaz wrote #309759:

upm_img_popper does not work

OK, this isn’t really the thread to posting which really old plugins don’t work – there’s a thread dedicated to that already. Please see here.

#15 2018-03-08 17:30:39

singaz

philwareham wrote #309761:

OK, this isn’t really the thread to posting which really old plugins don’t work – there’s a thread dedicated to that already. Please see here.

Thanks!

Sorry my horror English. I’m learning textpattern, I’m learning English

#16 2018-03-08 18:29:48

dotism
Website

Would someone have any advice as how best to move an existing 4.6.2 site built with oui_flat to the new theming system in 4.7? I seem to be having a lot of difficulty figuring out the new theme mechanics.

Is it possible to maintain a oui_flat-like workflow with the new system?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post these sorts of questions. I would really like to move my txp site to the new codebase.

#17 2018-03-08 18:46:14

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

dotism wrote #309767:

Would someone have any advice as how best to move an existing 4.6.2 site built with oui_flat to the new theming system in 4.7?

oui_flat is a NicolasGraph production, and the person behind the Themes implementation is…NicolasGraph, so he’s literally the best person to advise on this.

#18 2018-03-08 22:02:27

gomedia
Plugin Author

Is anyone else seeing this in the Diagnostics panel:

Pre-flight check

Notice "Undefined index: success"
in /Users/adi/Sites/textpattern-4.7.0/textpattern/include/txp_diag.php at line 173.
textpattern/include/txp_diag.php:173 adminErrorHandler()
textpattern/include/txp_diag.php:499 diag_msg_wrap()
textpattern/include/txp_diag.php:66 doDiagnostics()
textpattern/index.php:252 include()
All checks passed.

… or is it just me? No plugins. Vanilla TXP install.

#19 2018-03-08 22:22:55

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Congrats Adi, you are the first person to successfully diagnose 4.7-beta :-) Thanks, fixed.

#20 2018-03-08 22:54:19

gomedia
Plugin Author

etc wrote #309783:

Congrats Adi, you are the first person to successfully diagnose 4.7-beta :-) Thanks, fixed.

My pleasure.

#21 2018-03-08 23:03:50

gomedia
Plugin Author

In the Write tab, under the Publish button, there’s a message “Create new article”. Is that a bit superfluous?

And whilst I’m at it, on the “Create new page” tab – the “Create new page” link still appears. It’d be a shame for a user to lose all their typing if they clicked that rather than the Save button. Same thing goes for the “Create new form” & “Create new style”.

#22 2018-03-08 23:30:09

gomedia
Plugin Author

There’re some inconsistencies, which were introduced in 4.6, that I may have banged on about before – so forgive me:

Link text
Create new, Create new page, Create new form, Create new style, Create new section, Create new theme, Add new author
- maybe just use “Create new” for all & assume that the tab indicates to the user what’s being created
- OR change “Create new” to “Create new article” to align with the others
- User or Author? The page title says “Users”, yet the button says “Add new author”

Buttons or links?
Links: Create new [article], Create new page, Create new form, Create new style
Buttons: Create new article, Create new theme, Create new section, Add new author
- why different?
- and in the case of Create new [article]: on the Articles tab it’s a button “Create new article”, on the Edit Article tab it’s a link “Create new”

#23 2018-03-08 23:35:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote #309796:

There’re some inconsistencies, which were introduced in 4.6, that I may have banged on about before – so forgive me:

Buttons or links?
Links: Create new [article], Create new page, Create new form, Create new style
Buttons: Create new article, Create new theme, Create new section, Add new author
- why different?
- and in the case of Create new [article]: on the Articles tab it’s a button “Create new article”, on the Edit Article tab it’s a link “Create new”

Actually, those are all links (<a href=""/ >), but some are styled as buttons.

Good point about the discrepancies in link test.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#24 2018-03-08 23:50:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gomedia wrote #309790:

In the Write tab, under the Publish button, there’s a message “Create new article”. Is that a bit superfluous?

Maybe. Maybe not. If I’m mass adding articles or checking something in an existing article prior to writing a new one, it’s nice to have a dedicated link to start afresh. It’s not necessarily intuitive to have to go to the menu, click Content and then Write again to start a fresh article. But then, one could argue the dedicated link is a bit redundant. Why not be able to delete the article too?

on the “Create new page” tab – the “Create new page” link still appears.

Hmm, yeah that should probably be hidden, like the Duplicate link, until the new content has been saved. Can’t see a reason to keep it around. Leave it with me, thanks.

maybe just use “Create new” for all & assume that the tab indicates to the user what’s being created

It would certainly save a few gTxt() strings! I’m fine with that if it makes things less cluttered. Does it impact usability slightly, since the panels do tend to look alike? Instead of intrinsically knowing what the link does by virtue of it mentioning the type of thing being created, you may have to skip your eyes across the page to the heading in order to check what type of thing is going to be made. Is that a bad thing? I dunno.

But yes we should probably be consistent about it. What do you think, Mr. Wareham?

User or Author? The page title says “Users”, yet the button says “Add new author”

This is one of those annoying legacy things. Not all user accounts are authors – some are designers, freelancers, etc – and the public tag is <txp:authors> not <txp:users>. Plus, our URL scheme is /author/real+name.

I’d be inclined to migrate to ‘users’ on the admin panel, but continue to refer to account holders as ‘authors’ on the content panels and public tags/URLs. Keeps the separation.

Buttons or links? … why different?

Because on table panels – list pages – the button bar above the table always contains buttons. They’d look flaky as a sea of links. On individual panels, however, (Pages, Forms, Write, …) having a bunch of buttons would take up too much space and also disrupts the IA flow. Links are less obtrusive.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer