Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2017-09-13 16:29:11

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Expiration datepicker

Thanks for the test plugin Oleg.

If any date picker was going into core itself, I’d prefer it as an icon to the side of the input fields which gives users the option to use it or not.

Small notes: Your example only works if the year field is activated, not the month or day fields. Also seems to not be showing the selected day styling on the date picker either – not sure if it’s my code or something in the above plugin (the selected day should be highlighted in blue on the picker).

#14 2017-09-13 17:31:20

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #306983:

If any date picker was going into core itself, I’d prefer it as an icon to the side of the input fields which gives users the option to use it or not.

I’d prefer all UI widgets (datepicker, autoresizer, etc) be either pluggable or even theme features, eventually with configurable options. Anyway, users can still use the keyboard to input dates. As an icon, I would rather add a “no expiry” link; emptying three expiry fields (though one suffices) is boring.

Small notes: Your example only works if the year field is activated, not the month or day fields. Also seems to not be showing the selected day styling on the date picker either – not sure if it’s my code or something in the above plugin (the selected day should be highlighted in blue on the picker).

It’s very easy to extend it to the month/day fields, but three datepickers feel a bit redundant. And the selected day is highlighted in my tests, but very lightly (pale gray).

#15 2017-09-13 23:26:15

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #306984:

I’d prefer all UI widgets (datepicker, autoresizer, etc) be either pluggable or even theme features, eventually with configurable options.

Ditto that. For my personal websites (and some of my clients), I have no use for a date picker. it might even get in the way. But it can be very useful for sites that run campaigns (end date) or events. My preference is a plugin for this kind of things.

Anyway, users can still use the keyboard to input dates.

Your v.021 works fairly well for a keyboard user, in that on can now input a date manually. The calendar itself is unreachable – one have to use a mouse/trackpad and move the cursor (but that is probably a limitation of the JQ-UI widget itself – they seem to be aware of it, see link posted by philwareham upthread.

It’s very easy to extend it to the month/day fields, but three datepickers feel a bit redundant.

I don’t think you need 3 datepickers. From my POV that is.

PS – thanks for that plugin – if anything, it allowed me to improve my stylesheet a little :-).

Last edited by phiw13 (2017-09-13 23:35:44)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#16 2017-09-13 23:34:24

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #306983:

When the field is already filled (publish date), and the date is not “today” (e.g. editing an older article), the date of the article is highlighted with a very faint white / lighter grey (Hive). The class applied is a.ui-state-hover, the parent <td /> has a class of .ui-datepicker-days-cell-over.

The thing here, if I move the mouse over the calendar, that highlight immediately disappears. The class a.ui-state-hover is removed from the selected date. The class on the <td /> is kept in place.

It took me a few tries to see it (and more to “see” it in the inspector). With Hive that highlight is very hard to see, with my own Sandspace, it is a bit better – a light grey on smoke-white, although I prolly should improve that highlight a bit.

When the field is blank (Expire date), OR, the publish date for a new article, the date (“today”) is highlighted with the class a.ui-state-active, with Hive: a light blue.

(I would expect both cases to have a class a.ui-state-active, or eventually .ui-selected, but that is a bug / limitation of the JQ-UI code)

#17 2017-09-14 09:00:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

The date picker in Hive should have blue for a selected date, try it here and select any date and you’ll see what should happen. Not sure why that would differ in Oleg’s implementation since it’s the same jQuery UI code and my styling is based on the vanilla widget behaviour.

#18 2017-09-14 09:27:41

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #306988:

The date picker in Hive should have blue for a selected date, try it here and select any date and you’ll see what should happen. Not sure why that would differ in Oleg’s implementation since it’s the same jQuery UI code and my styling is based on the vanilla widget behaviour.

3 screenshots for you
(the file names speak for themselves, I hope)

TXP 4.7-dev up-to-date running on localhost.

edit – What you need:

.ui-datepicker-days-cell-over .ui-state-default,
.ui-datepicker td a.ui-state-active { }

Last edited by phiw13 (2017-09-14 09:29:55)

#19 2017-09-14 10:09:53

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #306989:

.ui-datepicker-days-cell-over .ui-state-default,...

Actually no, sorry. There is something amiss with the widget implementation that has been used in this plugin. The td cells in question should have classes as follows (from jQuery UI’s own code)…

.ui-datepicker-today
.ui-datepicker-current-day

…which don’t appear in Oleg’s date picker at all but do appear (correctly) in my demo date picker. Not sure why that would be. I’m not going to hack in some extraneous CSS selectors when my original code is fine.

#20 2017-09-15 01:57:07

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #306990:

.ui-datepicker-today...

…which don’t appear in Oleg’s date picker at all but do appear (correctly) in my demo date picker. Not sure why that would be. I’m not going to hack in some extraneous CSS selectors when my original code is fine.

The plugin sets the correct class (.ui-datepicker-today) for “today”, but fails to set the class (.ui-datepicker-current-day) for the currently selected date (in a pre-filled field with a date that is not “today”, e.g the Publish date for an older article). It correctly scrolls to that date, though, but then sets a wrong class(.ui-datepicker-days-cell-over).

(all those classes are applied to <td />s.)

#21 2017-09-15 08:35:10

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, try v0.2.2.

#22 2017-09-15 08:53:46

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #307012:

OK, try v0.2.2.

Yes!

#23 2017-09-15 08:59:56

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Works for me too, thanks Oleg! Can I be annoying and ask if you could try a version with the date picker invoked by using an icon link to the side of the field instead of by clicking in the field, like in this mockup? – is that physically possible?

#24 2017-09-15 09:08:55

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #307014:

Works for me too, thanks Oleg! Can I be annoying and ask if you could try a version with the date picker invoked by using an icon link to the side of the field, like in this mockup? – is that physically possible?

I’ve tried few days ago, that was a bit hackish, but I will try again. Actually, this should be easier because we don’t have to struggle with the keyboard input. Leave me few hours…

Board footer