Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#445 2024-01-19 17:16:44

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: com_connect - form and contact mailer

Bloke wrote #336419:

So, no good for Yiannis in this instance.

Alas, no.

Sendy (or similar) with Amazon SES is by far the cheapest way to send bulk email.

Sendgrid is pretty good and has a non-profit tier. Mailgun is also good, a support ticket should be able to get you onto the flex plan.

Postmark is something I’ve used in the past with medium-sized campaigns, and that’s good value for money.

From memory, there’re intro credits available to NGOs at Techsoup, too.

is it possible to hook up Txp to use AWS directly?

I’d really like to explore how viable it would be for Textpattern to talk with AWS-compliant services in a future iteration. Stuff like using S3 for file & image storage. There’s more support burden with sending email, since it’s riskier than storing & retrieving files, but I’m sure it’s possible in your capable hands, Stef.

#446 2024-01-19 17:36:26

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Heh. Seems at least SMTP integration is a piece of cake in 4.9.0.

Offloading file and image storage to S3 would be high on my investigative list in a near future Txp version. It would slot nicely into the image panel changes.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#447 2024-03-07 19:09:16

frickinmuck

I have a site that’s getting a lot of spam messages through a com_connect form. Is there any way to add a captcha or something? Or maybe a spam setting I’m missing?

PHP version: 8.1.27
com_connect version: 4.7.1
Textpattern version: 4.8.7

Last edited by frickinmuck (2024-03-07 19:34:59)

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

#448 2024-03-07 20:03:38

jakob
Admin
Website

There are several options:

• pap_comconnect, which adds a honeypot field to trap unsuspecting bots. It’s not bad but not infallible.
  • ext_com_connect_verify for adding email address patterns to block. Yiannis has a list of spam patterns. This is, in my opinion, more effective but needs more hands-on maintenance to add relevant blacklisted terms/email addresses. See also this post. It can be also be modified to block word patterns in the email body instead (see below).*
  • and there’s a full-blown ext_captcha that adds hCaptcha / ReCaptcha spam prevention. See also this post.

*If you prefer to block word patterns rather than emails, you need to edit the plugin code as follows:

1. Change the $emailField line to read:

$messageField = trim(ps('com_connect_message'));

2. and further down in the last if (…) { block, change $emailField to read $messageField:

if ($pat && preg_match($pat, $messageField)) {

and

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#449 2024-03-07 20:26:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Although it’s of no use right now unless you upgrade to 4.9.0-dev, built-in anti spam tools are already available.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#450 2024-03-07 20:42:47

frickinmuck

Thanks so much, both of you, this is all very helpful.

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

Board footer