Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#421 2023-10-18 02:28:36

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: com_connect - form and contact mailer

Bloke wrote #335795:

You can’t have two select tags without labels (or with the same label). The plugin differentiates/validates the expected values by using the label attribute, so the second one will be overwriting the first and causing validation errors on submission.

If you’re not using the label to display a visual label, then you’ll need to specify a unique name attribute for each instead.

<txp:com_connect_select label="" name="Gender" options="{Gender},Male,Female,Non binary" required="1" /><br><br>...

Thanks so much Stef. That was it!!!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#422 2023-11-05 09:05:49

Kjeld
Website

Bloke wrote #335289:

Intriguing. Thank you for the info. So both flavours of Linux, one FreeBSD, the other not. The only major difference I can see that might have a bearing, beyond slightly newer PHP/MySQL environments, is the curious entry for RFC 2616 headers. The manual there states it should be set to 0 unless you know what you’re doing. In your non-working server case, it’s empty.

That last sentence might be the key. We’re only using LF in non-Windows environments. So maybe if that flag is not 0 it’s less forgiving and won’t interpret headers properly.

We could test this fairly simply. Edit the plugin and locate the two lines that mention IS_WIN and change them both from:

IS_WIN ? "\r\n" : "\n"...

to:

IS_WIN ? "\r\n" : "\r\n"...

If the server behaves itself, then we’ll need to be more clever about how we determine line endings and perhaps take the RFC 2616 status into account too.

Bloke, this solved the problem I introduced in https://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=334996#p334996 (Strange Address in ‘From’). Once again, thanks.

I have exactly the same problem when people leave comments on my sites. This results in messages not being delivered. The undelivered mail features the following error code:

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.1 [185.201.18.30] Messages with multiple addresses in From: header are
 550-5.7.1 not accepted.

How do I fix this issue for the comments? I am using v4.8.7.

PS.
yab_shop_core has the same issue. I changed all occurrences of "\n" to "\r\n" and now it is fine.

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#423 2023-11-21 17:14:39

keukenkikker
Website

Since a couple of days all my com_connect forms are not sending e-mails. I don’t see any error messages and the “thank you your message is send” page is shown.

When someone is responding to an article the author receives a mail, this is still working.
It’s also possible to send an user a reset link. These two options are send from within Textpattern itself. Therefor I think my problem has something to do with de com_connect plugin.

Textpattern version 4.8.8.
Com_connect version 4.7.0

Any advice is welcome!
Sharon

#424 2023-11-21 17:36:08

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

A few things to try…

Could you put your site in debugging mode and try sending a message to yourself from the com connect forms. Do you see any errors?

Do you know if there are any patterns to the messages that are being sent? For example, particular content that might be filtered out or particular recipient domains such as Gmail or Hotmail that are known to apply fairly rigorous anti-spam filters.

Do you know if your server has SPF or DKIM enabled and configured correctly? That can improve deliverability of email.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#425 2023-11-21 17:48:58

keukenkikker
Website

Thanks Bloke for your fast response. I’m going to investigate :-).

#426 2023-12-04 06:43:03

hidalgo
Website

Hi Bloke,

I’ve been out of the loop so didn’t realise there was a proposed solution to the malformed email headers. I’ve just tested IS_WIN ? "\r\n" : "\r\n" in com_connect and it now indeed works correctly in PHP 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2.

Comparing to the results as discussed here, I can see that the single space at the start of each email header line is now gone (apart from one, at least X-PHP-Originating-Script: 1065:com_connect.php).

I’m guessing this fix will also be rolled into Textpattern 4.9.0, to resolve the activation emails not arriving?

Looking forward to finally being able to move my Textpattern sites from PHP 7.4.

Thanks for all your work figuring this out!

#427 2023-12-04 07:12:14

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Yep. When 4.9.0.lands, the fix will be rolled out in this plugin too.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#428 2023-12-04 07:53:53

hidalgo
Website

Wonderful, thanks again!

#429 2023-12-04 08:22:52

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

In a related note, the default php.ini file for php 8.3 has the following addition:

; Use mixed LF and CRLF line separators to keep compatibility with some
; RFC 2822 non conformant MTA.
mail.mixed_lf_and_crlf = Off

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#430 2023-12-22 09:27:31

keukenkikker
Website

Hi Bloke, in response to your post dated 21/11/23: after extensive testing to make sure it had really nothing to do with Textpattern (my hosting provider is always pointing in that direction as they have no knowledge of Textpattern) the problem was caused by the spam filter of the hosting provider. Thanks for your tips!

#431 2024-01-04 09:40:19

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Since updating to PHP version: 8.0.30, using txp v4.8.8, and com_connect v4.7.0 the emails never arrive in my inbox. Any ideas?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#432 2024-01-04 09:55:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

colak wrote #336285:

Since updating to PHP version: 8.0.30, using txp v4.8.8, and com_connect v4.7.0 the emails never arrive in my inbox. Any ideas?

Gmail? Hotmail? Or your own domain as destination?

If you alter your com_connect tag’s to attribute and comma-list another email account, try that. If a message arrives there, then it’s to do with the receiving end not trusting the message.

After that, it’s the usual diagnostics:

1. Check the email headers for SPF and DKIM passes, or anything that might give a recipient server cause for rejection.
  2. Tinker with Txp mail Prefs to set the sender address header to your own domain, etc.
  3. Contact your host and ask for assistance why some messages fail and others don’t.
  4. (last resort) Backup and upgrade to 4.9.0-dev so you can take advantage of SMTP direct sending. Assuming you have a third party you can use as a base for sending.

If messages don’t get to the second account either, then you might have to dive into your server log files (or get your host to help with looking at them) to determine why the messages aren’t getting out.

Board footer