Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2017-07-18 10:17:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Rebrand contact form plugin

Thanks for everyone’s input so far. Yes, in the cold light of day some of the prefixes I put forward do seem a little frivolous. And I agree with what you say about mod_ and pub_, Jonathan. The clash with ‘modified’ makes it less than desirable.

Quite like com_connect actually. Or com_contact. Either rolls off the tongue nicely and sounds okay when employed with various tag suffixes too.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#50 2017-07-18 10:22:43

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

@philwareham

Thanks! I did consider txp but wasn’t sure if it was too much. Currently, <txp:txp_contact /> is a whole lot of txp! But with short tags, that could become just <txp::contact /> (will that work, Oleg, or will it clash with the existing use of ‘txp’ as a general tag prefix?) which is actually quite nice.

Otherwise, short tags would reduce it to <com::contact />. Not bad either.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#51 2017-07-18 12:10:46

jstubbs
Website

@Bloke

com_connect is nice since the plugin is more than a contact form no? It can send articles which is sharing/connecting content…but com_contact is nice too.

txp_connect or txp_contact would also be great, but wouldn’t that suggest that it is part of core?

#52 2017-07-18 12:56:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

jstubbs wrote #306321:

com_connect is nice since the plugin is more than a contact form no?

Correct. It’s a platform for connecting visitors with you.

Out of the box, yes, it’s a contact form and an article sharing tool. But with some plugin glue, it can talk to Mailchimp or other third party mailers, subscribe/unsubscribe from lists, send HTML/multi-part email, store additional stuff in a database table, send stuff to Voyager II, …

In short, the plugin is useful in any application that requires input to be supplied by someone on the front end, and that info dispatched/stored somewhere.

txp_connect or txp_contact would also be great, but wouldn’t that suggest that it is part of core?

Yeah, that’s another reason I omitted it from the initial list.

#53 2017-07-18 14:15:29

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Bloke wrote #306322:

In short, the plugin is useful in any application that requires input to be supplied by someone on the front end, and that info dispatched/stored somewhere.

Have you considered splitting the plugin into two parts, one part that does all the form handling and the other part that takes care of sending the email. There are plenty applications where you need the form handling, but not the email. And perhaps also situations where you want to send an email without needing people to fill out a form. A form handler could have one or more action tags, each of which could be filled with other plugin tags (one of them being sending emails).

com_form & com_email or whatever prefix you may end up with.

#54 2017-07-18 15:00:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

ruud wrote #306324:

Have you considered splitting the plugin into two parts

I hadn’t, but that has merit. Like mem_form, but less, memish and more html5-ish.

That does mean people who want the whole shebang have to install two plugins unless I can “compile” the separate parts and produce three: ‘form’, ‘email’, and ‘connect’.

EDIT: the thing is, I’d like to hook into the Txp API for emailing, so maybe the plugin could just become more form-based anyway, with the other options controlling the Txp API to do the delivery.

I’ll investigate all this at some point, thanks. Maybe when it gets to a community repo and we add collaborators someone else might do it… ;-)

Last edited by Bloke (2017-07-18 15:04:42)

#55 2017-07-18 15:03:34

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

+1 for com_connect

It rolls tripplingly off the tongue.

#56 2017-07-18 15:16:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

ruud wrote #306324:

Have you considered splitting the plugin into two parts…

Sounds good for future. I think for now we just need to get the plugin name and repo home sorted so I can Composer install it into the new Textpattern site (for which I made a decision to only use plugins that were available via Composer).

#57 2017-07-18 15:23:13

bici
Website Mastodon

can you briefly explain what Composer is? thnx

…. texted postive

#58 2017-07-18 15:39:19

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

bici wrote #306328:

can you briefly explain what Composer is? thnx

Composer is a way of installing PHP files as packages, kind of like NPM is if you use Node packages. The elegance of this approach is you can version control and install plugins via flat files instead of manually pasting them into a Textpattern plugins panel textarea and loading that into your database.

Then, using Packagist (the library of existing Composer packages) I can be informed of any new versions of those plugins and use a simple command to update them.

I use this method on the upcoming Textpattern official site, see here and here.

#59 2017-07-18 18:58:57

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

philwareham wrote #306327:

I made a decision to only use plugins that were available via Composer.

For the composer noobs among us (me included), a small tutorial on the textpattern docs website on how to make plugins available via Composer would be really helpful.
And perhaps also how to switch to using composer to update Textpattern, assuming one can install TXP via composer as well.

#60 2017-07-18 19:42:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

ruud wrote #306331:

For the composer noobs among us (me included), a small tutorial on the textpattern docs website on how to make plugins available via Composer would be really helpful.

Sure, I’ve left a note to self to document this process.

Board footer