You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2017-04-25 14:02:52

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Rebrand contact form plugin

Bloke wrote #305480:

[…] It’s a plugin, it still needs a prefix. […]

Ok, that’s what I thought, so I would be ok for a name change (but I honestly wouldn’t have a lot of changes to apply on my side), and for now I would vote for smd_form or smd_user_form.

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#22 2017-04-25 14:30:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website

smd_ or pub_ prefix would be fine by me. The docs prefix list seems to indicate that pub_ is a community built plugin – which I guess this plugin is now if you don’t want to adopt it directly Stef (which of course you are quite welcome to do or not).

#23 2017-04-25 14:51:23

Bloke
Developer
Website

Well I’ve kind of adopted it, but the author is still ‘Txp community’. What we could do I suppose (if GitHub allow it) is to move / fork development to our own ‘textpattern’ GitHub channel and then either:

1. manage PRs as we do now and release updates.
  2. invite any community members with a GitHub account who want to contribute to its development to be able to commit directly.

Either would be good. Or a mix of both. It would then free it from my direct control, and make it more of a community plugin deserving of the (currently unused) pub_ prefix (or something similar, if we feel that ‘pub’ might be confused with pub-sub-hub).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#24 2017-04-25 14:54:02

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Bloke wrote #305486:

Well I’ve kind of adopted it, but the author is still ‘Txp community’. What we could do I suppose (if GitHub allow it) is to move / fork development to our own ‘textpattern’ GitHub channel…

That would be nice, I could then see about doing that Composer package for it.

#25 2017-04-25 15:12:10

Destry
Website

For the record, pub_ was originally produced following my brief and laughable foray into plugin development land, standing on Bloke’s shoulders, to create the pub_draft plugin, which was quickly obviated by another, which in turn was rendered obsolete by inclusion of the functionality into core. Win!

So, no need to keep pub_ (nor keep it in the prefix list) if you guys think of something more fitting for the same reason — collaborative/community plugin dev. Oi, cpd_?

Wordworkin’ for you.

#26 2017-04-25 16:33:29

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

Why bother renaming a plugin that shows up in all the top search results when searching for “textpattern contact form”?

Renaming the current use of “form” in TXP, that I would vote for ;)

#27 2017-04-25 16:44:43

philwareham
Core designer
Website

ruud wrote #305491:

Why bother renaming a plugin that shows up in all the top search results when searching for “textpattern contact form”?

When the top result comes from textpattern.org (Textpattern Resources) – aka. the shittiest place to find or read anything for Textpattern, I don’t think a plugin rename would be a problem – especially if we showcase that plugin on the new Textpattern site as I want to. If Stef renames it on GitHub the whole project 301 redirects.

Anyway, the name change was only a suggestion I made during another issue – I’m more interested in getting the plugin to install via Composer than anything. It made sense to confirm a long-running name before putting it on Packagist.

#28 2017-04-25 17:25:20

michaelkpate
Website

1) I have no issue in changing the name. It has been ten years now since Zem left.

2) I am not a big fan of html_form because forms are so confused in Textpattern anyway. Change forms to snippets, though…

3) Not a big fan of pub either. I checked the stone tablets and com is available.

#29 2017-04-25 20:44:48

Bloke
Developer
Website

com has merit if we bag it for internal use. Hmmm, com_contact though…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#30 2017-04-26 01:00:31

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote #305480:

Wooooooah, hold up everyone!

It’s a plugin, it still needs a prefix. All this talk of making it a core plugin/module is somewhat premature, imo. Bottom line, the plugin adds a slew of tags for creating different types of input control. I don’t want to add this plugin to core, because we already have waaay too many tags.

Bloke wrote #305486:

the author is still ‘Txp community’ . . . move / fork development to our own ‘textpattern’ GitHub channel and then either:

1. manage PRs as we do now and release updates.
  2. invite any community members with a GitHub account who want to contribute to its development to be able to commit directly.

Either would be good. Or a mix of both. It would then free it from my direct control, and make it more of a community plugin

W/out no desire to “free it” of bloke’s control per say, this is more along the lines of what I personally meant. Some plugins are so critical that the community has ended up developing them after the original author is long gone. This is one of them. What I intended to communicate was that the new name reflect the reality of this.

Is it conceivable of having a certain set of plugins/modules – like this one, (or let’s say in the future comments are moved out of the core proper and made into a plugin/module like zcr-reborn has become) – whose development is overseen and moderated by the core dev team, and allowed to use tag prefixes of txp: w/out actually being in the core?

re whether it should end up in the core per say. Actually, other than an robust api for inputs/forms, I don’t believe it belongs in the core.

Board footer