Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2020-09-24 10:02:41

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [revised aim] Glossary output with synonymous terms

Destry wrote #326068:

You’re saying if I have a miscellaneous form named varname that contains some variable value, I can call that in a page using <txp:variable name="varname" />? Textpattern will just magically know to find that form by the variable name?

Or was that an indirect way of saying variable values can not be called by forms?

Nope, you call this form as usual, using <txp:output_form form="varname" /> or just <txp::varname />. What I meant is variables can be defined in one place (form or whatever) and used in another one.

#38 2020-09-24 10:09:30

Destry
Website

etc wrote #326070:

Nope, you call this form as usual . . . What I meant is variables can be defined in one place (form or whatever) and used in another one.

Ah. Okay. No new voodoo I wasn’t aware of, then. That helps, thanks.

#39 2020-09-24 11:03:15

Destry
Website

etc wrote #326069:

Just make sure you have a custom field called synonyms; otherwise replace synonyms as appropriate in the first block.

Yep. Thanks. I’m starting to see the convenience of using the Keywords field in this case, as I don’t imagine ever using tags (in the tag cloud sense) for this site, which is what I might have used Keywords for otherwise (or however smd_tags works). But I’ll ensure data="{{?keywords}}" if I do.

#40 2020-09-24 11:08:02

Destry
Website

It occurs to me that the Tags Reference index would benefit from something like this if it was ever recreated in Txp. (Not raising/suggesting that old chestnut again.)

#41 2020-09-24 12:15:03

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

jakob wrote #326059:

‘copacetic‘ is not a word I’ve heard before and I had to look it up.

As a Native NA English speaker, you don’t hear it used a lot. I think it was actually popularized back in the 1960s. And in a song a few years ago.

Local H – Bound For The Floor

And you just don’t get it
You keep it copacetic
And you learn to accept it
You know it’s so pathetic

#42 2020-09-24 14:43:57

Destry
Website

Updated the glossary template with this piece:

<h2>Subcategories</h2>
<txp:category_list parent="groups" 
                   exclude="groups" 
                   wraptag="ul" 
                   break="li" 
                   class="catslist"  
                   sort="name desc">
        <a href="<txp:site_url />glossary/?c=<txp:category />"><txp:category title /></a>
</txp:category_list>

That made it consistent with the homepage groups list, thus easier to choose a different category if desired from the glossary section.

That does then beg for putting a <h2>Full List of [n] Entries</h2> above the full list part of the default view output, but it doesn’t appear I can easily do that with the default article tag behaviour as it is. It’s not a deal breaker, though, this is still better usability than it was, I think.

Also made a little front-end headway. It’s shaping up.

Last edited by Destry (2020-09-24 14:45:25)

#43 2020-09-24 14:46:16

jakob
Admin
Website

michaelkpate wrote #326074:

As a Native NA English speaker, you don’t hear it used a lot. I think it was actually popularized back in the 1960s. And in a song a few years ago.

Local H – Bound For The Floor

Cool! Not heard that either. Now I know how to drop it casually into a conversation ;-)

BTW: A bit of that video reminded me immediately of the cover of The Endless Shimmering by the Belfast band “And So I Watch You From Afar” (ASIWYFA for short: similarly loud, more melodious but without lyrics).

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer