Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2005-04-07 15:09:12

jenniferg
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_suparchive - article archive list

I have a question about the use of images associated with the archive heading. I have a magazine that is about to go into its first print issue but it will be the second online issue and we need to archive the articles there now. They are in numerous sections but if I am correct, which I often am not, your plugin will allow me to create a category like “Issue_0” and assign all the articles related to that issue into that category and it should allow me to output them in an archival list under “Issue 0” right? Please say, right.

Second. There is a small graphic that is basically a thumbnail of the cover of each issue and I was wondering if I could use it for each archive list. If I put it in a form can I do this? Is it even possible what I am talking about. If so what would it look like just a basic form? Would it be an article form or a misc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#146 2005-04-07 15:21:55

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

1) Yes, you can do this using the rss_suparchive_bycat tag.

2) Each category header is placed in a div that has an id based on the category name. For example, if you had a category called textpattern the code would start with <code><div id=“c_textpattern”</code>. You could then style that div with a background image. If that didn’t work for you there isn’t really another way I can think of.

If you want to use a form you would use an article form. But the form is used once for each article so if you put an image in your form you’d see it once for each article.

Hope that helps…

#147 2005-04-07 16:32:36

jenniferg
Website

ok, I am following you there. Thanks alot, I will give it a whirl.

#148 2005-04-07 16:39:16

uire

>uire – Can you tell me which tag you’re using and how you’re calling it?

Sorry, forgot to space the tags:

< txp:rss_suparchive section=“athletics” category=“middle school” / >

#149 2005-04-09 20:24:11

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Rob, I’m looking at using rss_superarchive to call the last 4 excerpts which happen to be thumbnails as this is a photoblog. I would like to use “timeframe” to show the 4 excerpts prior to the current article date. Is there any way of changing the call to “NOW” to pick up the current article date instead. There is only one article per page.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#150 2005-04-11 16:54:39

uire

Well, I realized I was using .12, so I upgraded to .14. The only change, however, was the line number in the error:

Notice: Undefined variable: count in C:\src\txp_bccs\textpattern\lib\txplib_misc.php(304) : eval()’d code on line 554

#151 2005-04-12 22:36:15

Jeremie
Website

Does _bycat have the same options and attributes as the _bydate ?

It seems not, but I find that odd that you can’t display author, excerpt or whatever with bycat.

#152 2005-04-13 03:22:11

Jeremie
Website

Another thing, each time I try to use a form with rss_suparchive_bycat I got a “mysql error” on the frontend.

Is there something do to, or not do, within the form ? Or its name, or whatever ?

My call is this one :
< txp:rss_suparchive_bycat section=“article” showheader=“1” headerlabel=“Tous les articles” limit=“99999” showcatcount=“1” showmenu=“1” form=“aa”
/>

Without the form attribute, works fine. With it, mysql error (I have no details about this one, unfortunately). Just in case, I use PHP 5.0.3 and MySQL 4.1.10.

#153 2005-04-13 12:07:32

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Its hard to keep up with the forum when the email subscriptions don’t work…

Stuart – that might not be that difficult. Might be able to use a MAX function in the SQL to get the max posted date. But how would this be different than using now()?

uire & Jeremie – I haven’t updated from SVN lately and I haven’t seen the problems you mention so I’ll have to update and give it a go. Coding against a moving target isn’t always easy.

#154 2005-04-13 19:55:33

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Sorry Rob. I’m never sure if this forum is working or not. I think you may have misunderstood me and I have emailed the problem. I’m working on a photo blog and using the plug-in to pick up excerpts. The excerpts are thumbs and have permalinks and are used as a form of navigation. Each page of the blog contains a single article, which is a photo. At the moment the thumbs are always the latest entries as the plug-in picks up “NOW” and works backwards from that point. What I would like to happen is that it picks up the posted date of the article being viewed then work backwards from that point instead. As you move from article to article the thumbs will change to reflect the 4 posts prior to the viewed article. Did I explain that better? This is the current state of affairs.

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-04-13 19:56:26)

Stuart

#155 2005-04-13 20:21:34

ArbinShire
Website

thebombsite – I totally dig that photolog setup you have working. Once you have it completed/working, you’ll have to post a detailed how to.

#156 2005-04-13 20:39:10

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Thanks ArbinShire. It isn’t actually my own blog so I think I should have permission for that but I certainly have no objection. If Rob can come up with what I’m after I was thinking it might be a candidate for the Textbook so come on Rob, give it your best shot please!

Stuart

Board footer