Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2015-10-20 01:36:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Improved Text Editor Capability

jstubbs wrote #296043:

Just released from Basecamp – Trix looks interesting.

Then you end up at CoffeeScript, if only cloning were possible.

Trix is pretty cool, it’s a different breed of web editor, very powerful.

Went through the example, did a quick index.html with trix in it. Fired it up and starting entering text, then I kept going down the Readme and it says drag and drop, so I dragged an image file from my file manager on top of the editor, voila, there it is.

Definitely should be checked out further.

#22 2015-10-20 07:01:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website

#23 2015-10-20 22:56:16

tye
Website

Is it possible to ship with 3 and give the admin a choice of which to use: markdown / textile / wysiwyg – or would you call this Bloatware?

It seems there are 3 schools of thought on the subject – why not please all?

95% of my clients/customers want wysiwyg – because they are small business and do not want to learn a new skill – they want word unfortunately so they can update there website and feel all warm and cosy doing it :) You have to remember they might only update once a week / month.

I have 5% of clients using rah_textile_bar… they aren’t too comfy with textile… but use it – but then when it comes to inserting an image… it all goes pear shaped.

Which ever we choose there has to be an integration with the image library… hak_tinymce was great at this.

IMO – the lack of a decent core WYSIWYG editor in txp, regardless of code output, is one of the reasons that other CMS systems are ahead of txp in popularity.

#24 2015-10-21 10:00:43

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

tye wrote #296063:

IMO – the lack of a decent core WYSIWYG editor in txp, regardless of code output, is one of the reasons that other CMS systems are ahead of txp in popularity.

That’s not wrong. In fact, for Textile, we already have rah_textile_bar which can be in the core. This plugin is very clean and easy to use. I customized it easily to make a markdown bar you can try (I just changed formating inserts for now). We could probably improve that with a pref switching between Textile and Markdown in the same plugin. We could also add highlighting things off course but it probably won’t take Txp to a very larger audience. If we want more users, I’m afraid that Tye is true: a WYSIWYG editor is required.

Edit: The WYSIWYG editor could be a plugin but it must exist.

Last edited by NicolasGraph (2015-10-21 10:03:37)

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#25 2015-10-21 10:11:56

etc
Developer
Website

NicolasGraph wrote #296080:

If we want more users, I’m afraid that Tye is true: a WYSIWYG editor is required.

and is actually easier to implement that a syntax highlighter. But we already have hak_tinymce, right? It can be replaced with some more sexy contenteditable editor.

#26 2015-10-21 11:31:31

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #296082:

But we already have hak_tinymce, right? It can be replaced with some more sexy contenteditable editor.

That’s right hak_tinymce still works.
How is that for something sexiest but still light?

Nicolas

#27 2015-10-21 11:49:10

etc
Developer
Website

NicolasGraph wrote #296085:

How is that for something sexiest but still light?

Looks good! The only problem I see is that <txp:tag /> are transformed into &lt;txp:tag /&gt;, but a normal user shouldn’t need tags in articles anyway. Something must be doable, but more as a general interface to plug wysiwyg editors.

Edit: what I really really think is that it could be part of admin-side themes.

Last edited by etc (2015-10-21 14:40:20)

#28 2015-10-21 12:06:36

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

etc wrote #296086:

Looks good! The only problem I see is that <txp:tag /> are transformed into &lt;txp:tag /&gt;, but a normal user shouldn’t need tags in articles anyway.

I can’t remember if it’s possible to use <txp:tags /> in hak_tinymce. You are probably right when you say that a normal user shouldn’t need tags in articles anyway. On my side I still add figures in the article body with <txp:images /> but it is maybe not a common behaviour.

Nicolas

#29 2015-10-21 14:49:32

colak
Admin
Website

NicolasGraph wrote #296087:

On my side I still add figures in the article body with <txp:images /> but it is maybe not a common behaviour.

Although I use the <txp:image id="##" /> I do it too. It’s one thing i find easier and more flexible than the textile equivalent.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#30 2015-10-23 07:59:01

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Just putting this back on the radar

Not sure if it has any value for us, but it’s a nice thing.

Board footer