Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2017-12-09 01:53:57

Chris H
Website

Re: TXP Themes

jakob wrote #308194:

You sound like you know your way around web things, so textpattern should be a doddle for you ;-)

You’d think ;-)

;-) Actually, there’s nothing to worry about. The basic principles of page templates, forms and txp:tags are the same as they have always been. It’s only the way of packaging them in themes that is new, and that is pretty much a direct reflection of the pattern you see on the Presentation tab, except as files and folders.

That’s reassuring!

I’d say that’s pretty much what textpattern can do. As much as I admire the simplicity of Phil’s starting template, I always start from scratch. You can craft your page HTML almost exactly how you want it, which means you can produce almost any layout you want.

If your sites are on the same server and follow similar patterns, you may find the multisite option very useful. It’s existed for a long time, but has recently been reworked for the upcoming 4.7 (this branch). I’ve been using this in an earlier iteration for a while now for a few sites run by the same organisation that share similar elements. In combination with working on the templates as flat files e.g. with oui_flat rather than through the admin interface (and site specific repos if you want to, too, in my case on gitlab like you mention), you can share some common resources across multiple sites. Example directory setup:

Bummer. The Forum ate you’re codeblock. :-(
But, yea. That may well be a good idea. But I’m just going to start with one. I’m still on the bottom rung of the ladder yet, where Textpattern is concerned. I’ll come back to Multisite, once I’m a bit better versed in TXP. :-)

Each site has its own front end and admin area, and each site can have its own templates and styling, but you only have one installation of textpattern for them all. You only need base stuff on the common bits you want. It works nicely if you have a collection of base sass files you use as a library of styled components, and have your site-specific styling on top of that. If you find you need to update a styled component (e.g. maybe remove some no longer needed browser prefix, or to update normalize.css), or update a javascript file (e.g. a slider) across all the sites, or you want to update textpattern for all your sites, you just need to update the respective item and recompile your css files.

That said …
… you don’t need github at all for textpattern, likewise sass, node, grunt, npm or any of those helpers. You can still write good old HTML and CSS, break your page down into sensible chunks and sew them together with txp tags.

Bummer. Looks like the Forum also ate your reference to oui_flat. :-(
None-the-less. I had already opened the link in another tab. This is great help — thank you! I can definately get my head around this. :-)
I can’t tell you how relieved I am I don’t require those other “helpers”. Not that they’re bad. Just that I’m more “old school”. I completely understand, and can easily use them. But they’re just not “my cup of tea”. Thanks for mentioning that. :-)

jakob, you’ve really hit the nail on the head here. You’re completely “on target” for addressing all my (previous) concerns. Your comments here have gone a long ways to helping me wrap my head around much of all this, combined with all the helpful hints, and wisdom from Bloke. I feel a great deal more comfortable with making Textpattern my only choice for Site management. Really shortens the “learning curve”!

A huge thanks to you both!

—Chris

Last edited by Chris H (2017-12-09 01:55:35)

Board footer