Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2015-10-01 18:11:17

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: TXP:CMS growing rapidly

Dear Textpattern users and devs,

I hear your concerns and I sit at a crossroads, promote Textpattern or pull away completely.

Go with TXP CMS, or call it something like HCG CMS ?

So I’ll end up with sites titled HCG CMS, HCG Themes, HCG Tags and HCG Planet. I can’t go with We Love HCG, someone would have to take that site over, some TXP community member with time on their hands.

Now, I’ll need to change template tags from txp:article to hcg:article, wouldn’t want to confuse any users that may stumble onto HCG Tags.

Which in turn would make any current and future HCG Themes incompatible with Textpattern.

Should HCG CMS gain traction, plugin authors would need to adapt their plugins to an HCG world.

Documentation, tutorials and blog articles would not make mention of Textpattern, the only way someone would know that HCG CMS is based on Textpattern would be to view the PHP source code.

The current TXP domains would redirect to their HCG equivalents, a Textpattern entity may petition me for domain donations.

Can’t think of anything else I would need to change to appease the Textpattern community, but I’m open to suggestions.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I’ll need to donate my txp:love t-shirt to the Goodwill, that’s going to hurt.

#22 2015-10-01 21:56:09

towndock
Website

Bert,
I applaud you for coming forward on this. Rather than trying to solve this on the forum… how about discussing it at the Textpattern meetings coming up Oct 10. We’ll talk about it in North Carolina, and you’ll have an opportunity to talk to fellow Textpattern users (and Devs) meeting in the UK via Skype.

I like talking. Sometimes we humans let things escalate when we have a keyboard. The world has more nuance when we sit down and talk.
Keith

PS – Hurricane Joaquin looks like it may stay out to sea. There is still anxiety, but we are calmer now at the NC coast.

#23 2015-10-01 22:00:42

GugUser

towndock wrote #295319:

Sometimes we humans let things escalate when we have a keyboard. The world has more nuance when we sit down and talk.

Without going into the subject: Very well said!

#24 2015-10-02 08:53:51

Dragondz
Website

towndock wrote #295319:

Bert,
We’ll talk about it in North Carolina, and you’ll have an opportunity to talk to fellow Textpattern users (and Devs) meeting in the UK via Skype.

Hi

If we can make meeting via Skype then more people can join no?

#25 2015-10-03 15:17:22

uli

hcgtv wrote #295315:

promote Textpattern or pull away completely.

Quick and easy:

Stay with Textpattern, I’d say:
The plugin situation alone for an HCG CMS is and will be desert-like. And although you can bend Textpattern like pretzel dough, its slimness very often requires plugins, plugins of the most various sorts.

Stay, please:
Textpattern, on the other hand, lacks themes now, after the decay of Textgarden.
And also code-sided: Textpattern could need some hands.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer