Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-06-29 13:39:24

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: [docs] Github wiki

@Destry: +Lots.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2015-06-29 14:05:03

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Cool. It’s good to know there are people interested in the documentation stuff. I will endeavour to make a nice GitHub workflow that makes this all as painless a possible – just give me a few days.

All this rests on whether we have DNS controls for the textpattern.com domain name, so I can eventually repoint it to the GitHub Pages site (via Cloudflare).

#27 2015-06-29 14:07:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

philwareham wrote #292267:

just give me a few days.

Awesome, thanks Phil.

All this rests on whether we have DNS controls for the textpattern.com domain name

Presumably that also affects things like the proposed themes.textpattern.com too? Or are subdomains under our control?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2015-06-29 14:18:31

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #292268:

Presumably that also affects things like the proposed themes.textpattern.com too? Or are subdomains under our control?

New subdomains would also need DNS record access, so I’m hoping Dean Allen gave that to us at some point in the past.

#29 2015-06-29 14:48:28

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #292264:

The Tag Reference has always been a thing unto itself. That is indeed a groomed piece of work that needs little editing, though many tag pages do need more/better examples, IMO. Some are pretty useless.

You know Destry, I’ve linked to my Textpattern Template Tags site on a few occasions in threads where you were very active. Not once have you said anything, you dismiss the post reply, like I never posted anything.

There in lies the problem with Textpattern, contributions outside of the walled in Textpattern world are not really welcomed. Sure, dive in and contribute, if you can gain access that is. I remember when I first joined the community, it was a mission to get access to the wiki, and then your access would go poof on a MediaWiki update.

Yet here we sit, with TXP branded sites like TXP Magazine, with no new content in 2 years. Yeah, we’ll get to it, and the Internet years wizz by.

Destry, I could make a clone of the wiki in an afternoon. The reason I wanted the dump was to see historical changes to pages, who changed what and why – especially the tag reference.

There’s more to running an Open Source project than just buying up sites to protect your brand.

#30 2015-06-29 15:00:23

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #292271:

There in lies the problem with Textpattern, contributions outside of the walled in Textpattern world are not really welcomed. Sure, dive in and contribute, if you can gain access that is. I remember when I first joined the community, it was a mission to get access to the wiki, and then your access would go poof on a MediaWiki update.

I’m not really sure what is being said here, sorry – I can give you a dump of the MediaWiki if you need one, it takes time to export from the wiki though as I have to take each section as an XML file (they don’t give you an easy method to export from their software).

But there is already a fairly well advanced collection of tag documentation that I have already exported from the wiki, rewritten and converted to Textile for use in a version controlled flat file documentation site (hence why the decision was not to use Textpattern to power it). I can give you (or anyone who wants it) commit rights to it if you have a GitHub user account and willingness. In fact, I’d prefer it to working alone.

Those Textile documents are open source. so anyone can repurpose them for other uses (in their own site, for a book, etc.). I’m sure there is plenty within your own tag site which would be very useful in the new docs site too.

#31 2015-06-29 15:17:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #292272:

I’m not really sure what is being said here, sorry – I can give you a dump of the MediaWiki if you need one, it takes time to export from the wiki though as I have to take each section as an XML file (they don’t give you an easy method to export from their software).

I was looking at getting a database dump, that way I could load it up on a local copy of MediaWiki. I really have no use for anything else, because I could easily go scraping page per page, in a variety of ways. I’m more interested in historical info, page creation, who changed what, etc.

#32 2015-06-29 15:23:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

hcgtv wrote #292273:

I was looking at getting a database dump, that way I could load it up on a local copy of MediaWiki

I can give you an SQL dump, yes? PM me and I’ll give you a download link.

#33 2015-06-29 15:44:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I would be happy to help with the documentation editing whichever format is decided upon. I am pretty sure I volunteered at least once before.

#34 2015-06-29 15:54:59

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

michaelkpate wrote #292275:

I would be happy to help with the documentation editing whichever format is decided upon. I am pretty sure I volunteered at least once before.

Great! Will keep you posted on the developments.

#35 2015-06-29 16:08:03

Destry
Website

hcgtv wrote #292271:

You know Destry, I’ve linked to my Textpattern Template Tags site on a few occasions in threads where you were very active. Not once have you said anything, you dismiss the post reply, like I never posted anything.

Sorry for the confusion, Bert. I’ve been away from the computer today more than at it, so I haven’t had a chance to respond to everything. Also, I’ve actually not been too active in the forum for a while, though I’ve been trying to turn that around lately (but maybe I shouldn’t).

I’m well aware of your Txp tags site and have been for a long time (years?). As I understood it, you did that version in a way that appeals to more experienced design/developer types. Get straight to the meat and potatoes, as it were. Right? Great! Other than that I’m not sure what you want me to say about it. Good job? Atta boy? Consider it done.

There in lies the problem with Textpattern, contributions outside of the walled in Textpattern world are not really welcomed.

I think you’re confusing insignificant me with the project, which I’m not affiliated with other than being a self-admitted tree-shaker and boat-rocker.

Sure, dive in and contribute, if you can gain access that is. I remember when I first joined the community, it was a mission to get access to the wiki, and then your access would go poof on a MediaWiki update.

That’s kind of a general wave of the hand to nothing specific, isn’t it?

Manually creating accounts was always necessary because of spam issues. And there were always at least two people to contact for accounts when wanted, and we did ask for a few days patience as people got to them. This seemed to work for most people.

The wiki was not updated often enough, as a matter fact, and on at least two occasions it changed servers on Joyent’s end which caused all kinds of system and content problems. That wasn’t my doing or within my means to fix.

If wiki user accounts were affected then too, I’m sorry, but I don’t recall hearing anything about it.

Btw, in case there’s a misunderstanding, I’ve not been in charge of the .net wiki for a while. I woke up one morning and my admin credentials to the server were revoked and never returned. I didn’t mind, actually. One less thing to worry about. The same thing happened to me on TXP Mag, for that matter, around the same time, but that’s a different topic.

Yet here we sit, with TXP branded sites like TXP Magazine, with no new content in 2 years. Yeah, we’ll get to it, and the Internet years wizz by.

I guess we are going to talk about it. Okay.

Like I said, I had my server rights taken from me on the magazine. Security call. Change of template management routine. Txp privilege. Whatever. Nothing to be done from my side. But it’s a bad thing to do to an Editor of a magazine, especially when the Editor could have independently made needed front-end changes to conform the magazine’s layout and presentation to newly planned (at the time) content directions. Instead, what happened about that time is Phil (not to single Phil out), officially became part of Txp’s team (head designer), and in that new power made the decision to make TXP Mag’s presentation conform to some as yet unseen brand design.

(For “strategic” reasons (corresponding with audience reach) that I’ve made clear since day-1 of being Editor, I don’t think the magazine, as I conceived it, should conform to Txp’s standard project brand. But that’s neither here nor there now. The vision I had is a failed experiment.)

So, not only was there a bottleneck on the architecture and presentation, but, as Bloke has mentioned elsewhere, try as I might to get contributing authors so it wasn’t just me doing all the writing, I couldn’t get any by the fourth issue, except from Bloke, who was already contributing more than his share, on top of being a dev. That doesn’t really work for a magazine. If I’m going to do all the writing, then I’ll just do it at my own website, or create a new domain with one of these fancy new TLD’s, like textpattern.reports, or whatever.

Thus why the magazine has been quiet: no brand, no architecture, no contributing authors. I guess this community is too small for a magazine.

Destry, I could make a clone of the wiki in an afternoon. The reason I wanted the dump was to see historical changes to pages, who changed what and why – especially the tag reference.

I don’t care if you want a dump. Have a dump. I’m not in control of it. I was only speaking for the direction of future user docs and trying to save you, or anyone else, the misery of dealing with old content. Sorry for any “miscontrusion” there. Maybe if you had said what you wanted a dump file for to start with, I wouldn’t have unintentionally got on your bad side.

There’s more to running an Open Source project than just buying up sites to protect your brand.

Sing it, brother. You’re preaching to the choir here.

Can we step back and start over?

#36 2015-06-29 16:25:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #292251:

Please don’t rush into anything straight away – I thought we were going to use Jekyl via GitHub Pages for hosting this stuff, not the GitHub Wiki.

+1. One of the stumbling blocks of the wiki previously was the barrier to entry and relative unfriendliness. GitHub has a much, much better way of doing this kind of thing.

Board footer