Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2015-06-30 16:44:20

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: textgarden.org expired - backup plan needed

hcgtv wrote #292402:

Yes, WordPress started it’s life as a fork of b2evolution, from what I’ve heard, had Dean licensed Textpattern under a GPL license from the onset, Matt would of gone the Textpattern Tag route.

Almost. Wordpress was a fork of b2 – like b2evolution. But the licensing was definitely an issue.

What to do? Well, Textpattern looks like everything I could ever want, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be licensed under something politically I could agree with. Fortunately, b2/cafelog is GPL, which means that I could use the existing codebase to create a fork, integrating all the cool stuff that Michel would be working on right now if only he was around. The work would never be lost, as if I fell of the face of the planet a year from now, whatever code I made would be free to the world, and if someone else wanted to pick it up they could. I’ve decided that this the course of action I’d like to go in, now all I need is a name. What should it do? Well, it would be nice to have the flexibility of MovableType, the parsing of TextPattern, the hackability of b2, and the ease of setup of Blogger. Someday, right? – Matt

Until it wasn’t.

Also, it’s GPL. – Dean

Which was slightly later than optimal.

WordPress is Free Software. Its rules will never change. In the event that the WordPress community disbands and development stops, a new community can form around the orphaned code. It’s happened once already. In the extremely unlikely event that every single contributor (including every contributor to the original b2) agrees to relicense the code under a more restrictive license, I can still fork the current GPL-licensed code and start a new community around it. There is always a path forward. There are no dead ends. – Mark Pilgrim

But it does offer us a valuable lesson – that open-source projects can persist one way or another.

#74 2015-06-30 18:39:04

candyman

The best (and only) thing to do is to take control of textpattern.com domain.
If Dean won’t allow this, I would left things as they are: they work.
I would understand Dean if he should keep the domain just for affection.

According to me textpattern.com is essential.

#75 2015-06-30 19:26:46

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

philwareham wrote #292388:

It’s OK, I own textpattern.io, just to keep it safe in case a ‘plan b’ is needed. I’d prefer to move ahead with Dean’s blessing though, rather than steamroller a new domain name through via brute force.

*fistbump*

#76 2015-08-06 17:15:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

OK. Ahem. Brace yourself.

Textgarden.org got acquired by a marketeer. It’s on WordPress now. And it just auto-posted to the @textpattern Twitter stream. The tweet has been deleted.

I’ve alerted Robert, Stef and Phil – hoping the auto-post part gets undone soon. it looks like it’s being resolved.

Last edited by gaekwad (2015-08-06 17:25:48)

#77 2015-08-06 17:25:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #293997:

OK. Ahem. Brace yourself.

Textgarden.org got acquired by a marketeer. It’s on WordPress now. And it just posted to the @textpattern Twitter stream.

whois.domaintools.com/textgarden.org

Then let’s kill all the links to it and be done with it.

Off-topic: I used to own Patetech.com – because I own Patetech.info and bought it during a GoDaddy sale I let it lapse years ago. I accidentally went there the other dayand was offered it for sale for $2,695.

#78 2015-08-06 17:37:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Done. I’ve redirected the ‘Themes’ heading on the nav just to the themes section of documentation (old) site for now. Will improve this later when we have some theme strategy in place.

#79 2015-10-16 14:30:08

NicolasGraph
Plugin Author
Website

There are still links to textgarden on textpattern.net and the Google group page…
Someone to delete/change them?

Nicolas
Follow me on Twitter and GitHub!
Multiple edits are usually to correct my frenglish…

#80 2015-10-16 14:53:11

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

NicolasGraph wrote #295865:

Someone to delete/change them?

Done, thanks.

Board footer