Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2015-10-21 10:31:43

etc
Developer
Website

Re: Cache system into the Core

I guess, the question is “is there a one cache automagically fits them all” solution to put in the core, and the answer is “No”, I’m afraid. Letting visitors fill the cache is hazardous: what happens if some bot requests for ?pg=1,2,...,1000000000, which are all valid and cacheable requests? You will quickly reach cache size limits, right? So, the cache must be controlled admin-side, and I wouldn’t mind if aks_cache were in the core, but it would be the site admin’s work to decide what should be cached.

Stef has actually introduced few callbacks in 4.6 intended to help with aks_cache, but I don’t remember where is this thread (edit: it’s here).

Last edited by etc (2015-10-21 15:40:20)

#12 2015-10-21 10:58:26

etc
Developer
Website

When toying with WP, I have tried a very cool cache plugin: it not only saves pages as plain HTML, but also rewrites .htaccess to serve these pages instead of PHP. The result would be blazingly fast, if only it worked… but wouldn’t fit a highly dynamic site anyway.

#13 2015-10-21 15:41:32

gaekwad
Admin

etc wrote #296084:

When toying with WP, I have tried a very cool cache plugin: it not only saves pages as plain HTML, but also rewrites .htaccess to serve these pages instead of PHP. The result would be blazingly fast, if only it worked… but wouldn’t fit a highly dynamic site anyway.

This. I spent yesterday reworking a client WordPress site hosted on 1and1 – no access to mod_gzip or mod_deflate, but setting up Super Cache made some difference in page payload and loading speed. In the end, because there was no Apache compression available (not a thing that 1and1 deem worthy of shared hosting), PHP zlib.output_compression was the only feasible option.

Board footer