Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2015-07-03 01:45:15

wavesource

Re: Magazine to newsletter

philwareham wrote #292506:

I can set up a MailChimp account once I know what our official Textpattern general email address is (waiting for confirmation on that from Robert).

Just want to make sure you’re knocking the rest of my offer on the head. I was offering a Sendy license which TXP peeps can install anywhere they like. I am also offering to pay for outgoing emails via Amazon SES as part of my SES account. Mail Chimp and any other 3rd party once you get over the free limits is not worth it, and the cost using SES is minimal, deliverability is excellent, and spam reporting rock solid. Plus you can use the Sendy API for subscription forms just as well as anything Mail Chimp offers. I also have it integrated into some client Textpatterns where they can send an article, or series of articles in a page template, to the queue in Sendy via API, ready for an admin to approve within Sendy’s admin backend, and kick out the door. Requires allow_url_fopen.

(Of course, if TXP devs want to pay for SES per-email rates, they can set up their own account)

The only thing Sendy isn’t really great at is targeting subgroups within a single list. No fluffy buttons for that. But you can have as many lists as you like, and you can have custom fields so tagging subscribers then exporting via CSV and creating subgroups like that manually is relatively straightforward. … And a lot of subgroup functionality you can achieve with separate lists as the logical units, as compared to subgroups… if you’re clear about what you’re doing, then it’s fabulous and effective. And cheap.

So just let me know you’re pulling the rug on that so I can settle back on the front porch in the sun and await relevance with a G&T

Otherwise, I can go grab TXP a license and you can get moving with that.

And of course, I am happy to maintain that license for TXP.

Last edited by wavesource (2015-07-03 01:59:33)

#62 2015-07-03 06:25:22

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Oh, if Sendy is your recommendation then that’s seems fine to me – I only suggested MailChimp because I’ve used it before and know it.

#63 2015-07-03 06:39:59

wavesource

I’ve used MailChimp. I recommend it to some clients who are just starting up and are attracted to the free offer, and I’ve done some API integrations with it. I just prefer open scripts I can run on our own servers wherever possible.

#64 2015-07-03 06:41:47

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wavesource wrote #292538:

I just prefer open scripts I can run on our own servers wherever possible.

Any particular one you would recommend?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#65 2015-07-03 06:45:13

wavesource

colak wrote #292539:

Any particular one you would recommend?

In the context of this discussion, mailing lists, I’ve pushed forward Sendy. Mailgun has a similar API and concept but last time I looked no one had developed a front end like Sendy operates for Amazon SES. That was a while ago, though.

#66 2015-07-03 06:46:29

wavesource

Of course, Textpattern is my first and only choice for CMS development.

#67 2015-07-03 06:59:55

Destry
Website

wavesource wrote #292533:

Sendy isn’t really great at is targeting subgroups within a single list.

I doubt there’s any need for sub-lists. A single list for general community news-pushing on a regular interval will go far and is easy to maintain. Presumably it can be styled a modicum with Txp’s colors.

maverick wrote #292528:

Medium.com almost has what you want.

I love Medium for it’s usability and focused presentation. In that respect it might be one of the best publishing system in existence, if not the best. (Yes, yes. Subjective.)

What I’ve never liked about Medium is that your content — and I mean carefully crafted longform, not social spittle and brain farts — is on someone else’s fly-by-night server, which is one reason I’ve not brought myself to publish anything there so far.

At least I thought that was the case…

You can also pull published articles from other sites/blogs into Medium and push them out to other websites.

Didn’t realize that. Always thought it was a publish-in-duplicate situation if you wanted content at both places. Google doesn’t really like duplicate publishing, if I’m not mistaken. Plus I don’t know what your copyrights are if you allow content to push (be pulled?) to Medium’s boxes.

(Apparently Medium is having some trouble too, not the least of which is figuring out what it’s really supposed to be offering — is it a platform for publishers (the original idea), or just another social blogging tool like Tumblr? Seems to be headed to the latter.)

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-03 07:07:20)

#68 2015-07-03 16:22:02

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #292352:

Shweeeeeeeet.

You have mail.

#69 2015-07-04 04:28:15

maverick
Website

Destry wrote #292546:

Didn’t realize that. Always thought it was a publish-in-duplicate situation if you wanted content at both places. Google doesn’t really like duplicate publishing, if I’m not mistaken. Plus I don’t know what your copyrights are if you allow content to push (be pulled?) to Medium’s boxes.

This is a feature added in the last year. I’ve not tried it yet, but found it recently when I became editor for a Medium publication.

Medium Import

Embed URLs/Preview into Medium

Medium

Destry wrote #292546:

(Apparently Medium is having some trouble too, not the least of which is figuring out what it’s really supposed to be offering — is it a platform for publishers (the original idea), or just another social blogging tool like Tumblr? Seems to be headed to the latter.)

I really liked the early incarnations of Medium, which seemed more platform for publishers. The slow evolution does seem to be heading in a different a different direction, as you noted. I don’t care for the new direction quite as much.

Still, it’s an well thought out piece of software imho.

#70 2015-07-09 17:52:32

Destry
Website

maverick wrote #292528:

You can also pull published articles from other sites/blogs into Medium and push them out to other websites.

After reading this by the ever-amusing Mike Monteiro (co-head of Mule Design), who makes a great point about putting your message where people are, I’m inclined to think pushing Txp’s high-profile content to a Textpattern channel on Medium (while it’s popular) would be wise.

Once the dust settles, of course.

#71 2015-07-09 20:31:32

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

And if Txp want’s to grow its user base, it needs to go out where potential users are. ©

Don’t mind, just kidding :)

#72 2015-07-09 21:04:40

wavesource

Where are the people you want to convert to TXP users? That’s the question. If Medium, then sure. You’ve got a Twitter feed, that’s excellent and high value.

If Medium why not rehash the TXP mag, like a synopsis each issue, and post to Medium, to avoid content dupe, and link to full content on TXPcom?

ie. I see my contribution being to not only draft stuff for approval for main release, but also draft subversions for release elsewhere. Hack hack hack. My point being: please don’t collapse to a simple strategy only because you think you have resources just to do it once per release.

This is under the rubric of:

1. Full release on TXP owned/branded site, echoed through RSS
2. Accompanying Twitter tweet
3. Secondary rehash to Medium and email broadcast, and …… and …..
4. Next issue: repeat

And do you need a second strategy to target TXP developers?

Last edited by wavesource (2015-07-09 21:05:58)

Board footer