Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2014-04-06 08:24:13

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: More flexible publication status

philwareham wrote #280100:

I also use hidden, or rather some of my clients do when an article becomes obsolete (sometimes content has to be removed to meet legal regulations). So I’d want that (or something equivalent) to stay.

Ditto over here. I use it sometimes for articles that have become irrelevant; one of my clients uses it when an article has become something like ‘out of season’ – content that will return, almost unmodified, at a later date.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#14 2014-04-06 11:35:27

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I also use hidden, or rather some of my clients do when an article becomes obsolete (sometimes content has to be removed to meet legal regulations). So I’d want that (or something equivalent) to stay.

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2014-04-06 12:02:24

jstubbs
Website

+1

#16 2014-04-06 12:51:23

towndock
Website

How is “hidden” in that case any different from draft?

#17 2014-04-06 13:06:52

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

towndock wrote #280095:

we never use Hidden or Pending. Taking two pointless options off admin makes sense

Ah, when I said “I’d propose removing Hidden and Pending” I meant using a plugin to remove unnecessary options in the OP’s particular implementation, not removing them from core. Sorry for any confusion.

I advise clients to use Hidden for removing articles from publication, either because there’s been a complaint and the content needs dropping, or if they need to temporarily pull an article off the site for any reason. As phiw13 says, this can be as simple as just rotating seasonal content.

I take your point that, in terms of outcome, there’s no difference between the two status. But in terms of semantics to the individual site’s workflow, Draft != Hidden as Draft implies yet-to-be published content — perhaps with a different editorial team working on it — whereas Hidden is not published for a specific reason, normally post-publication.

But as it stands, Pending is little superfluous in most situations because there’s no implied action behind it. There’s nothing to stop Pending being used in a traditional publication workflow via a plugin, but then if it needs a plugin to be useful, the plugin itself might as well add the option to the status list. That requires the core to be tweaked slightly, as I mentioned in an earlier post, so status codes could be added and used for custom publication or signalling workflows.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#18 2014-04-06 13:14:03

towndock
Website

Gotcha. We simply use draft for that function, but I do understand the semantics.

Is there a plugin that can do that (remove selected status options)? We use Write Tab Customize frequently, but I don’t believe that is an option with wtc.

Last edited by towndock (2014-04-06 13:15:07)

#19 2014-04-06 13:47:11

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

towndock wrote #280106:

Is there a plugin that can do that (remove selected status options)?

Not that I’m aware of, but there’s a callback article_ui > status which can be used to rewrite the HTML that the status creates. Tiny plugin, only a few lines. I could post it here later if it’s any use.

Longer term, if we go through and remove the code that assumes anything >= 4 is published, we might add a callback there that allows you to directly alter the list without having to regenerate the markup.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#20 2014-04-08 02:37:36

jstubbs
Website

If I recall correctly, Draft status doesn’t set the URL title for the article which is quite helpful. Can’t remember if Pending does the same thing.

Board footer