Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2012-10-04 14:32:48

merz1
Website

Re: Meta description - better implementation

Destry And this is the multi vitamin juice for keyword search result pages (extract from above):

<txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter striphyphens="1" /> <txp:tru_tags_related_tags_from_search .. listlimit="15" .. sort="count" />

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#26 2012-10-04 16:10:08

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bah, we’re still talking about plugins here to provide things I’d want to do natively in Textpattern.

That is clever though, Markus.

#27 2012-10-05 01:11:54

tye
Website

I am pretty much 100% behind having meta description in the core…. but I can’t stop thinking about the article tab and its use for all content types… so it wouldn’t be relevant for everything/one, so maybe it is plugin material?

#28 2012-10-08 11:39:20

merz1
Website

philwareham wrote:

Bah, we’re still talking about plugins here to provide things I’d want to do natively in Textpattern.

As long as Textpattern is still missing good keyword/tag handling tru_tags is essential for tagging articles.

That is clever though, Markus.

Thanks. The solution evolved over the years and has proven to be a solid SEO solution and to not generate to many ‘errors’ in Google webmaster tools (mainly because of using page numbers).

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#29 2012-10-08 11:49:48

merz1
Website

Re.: <txp:site_name /> <txp:site_slogan />

I just put them in the code for basic SEO. Both could/should be optimized via txp:variable or/and txp:yield refinements.

#30 2013-02-13 22:25:19

madzzoni

Hi there.

I just tried to use the Meta Keywords tag, following this TXP Docs

Write some words in the Meta Keywords article field and saved it… But it doesn’t work! I see no Keywords when i look in the source and SEO tools!

Example 1: Use article’s keywords for meta tag content
Meta_keywords tag returns a HTML meta tag, populated with an article’s keywords. The tag should always be placed to your Page template’s <head> section, between closing and opening HTML head tags.

Placed this in my header:

<txp:meta_keywords />

I simply don’t understand why, – are the TXP Docs not up to date, – or did i miss something here?

Regards madzzoni

<TXP:n00b />

#31 2013-02-13 22:43:48

tye
Website

Are you looking in an individual article when trying to view this or a section/category page?

#32 2013-02-13 23:43:48

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@madzzoni

That tag only works when you are viewing an individual article context, so maybe that’s the problem?

I don’t use that tag myself (because meta keyworks are redundant nowadays), but I guess this code would work:

<txp:if_individual_article>
<txp:else />
    <txp:article status="sticky" limit="1">
    </txp:article>
</txp:if_individual_article>

That would let you create a sticky article for your section pages and then use it’s keywords to populate the meta tag.

#33 2013-02-15 15:55:27

madzzoni

@phil:

Yes i know that Meta Keywords isn’t important nowadays, and i was actually looking for some kind of Meta Description tag and find the <txp:meta_keywords> in the Docs, – and i got some projects where the client still want the keywords for other purposes than SEO rank.

- But the Meta problem is solved for me so far, i find the nice rah_metas plugin
which seems to do the job quite easy. (Would be nice if that plugin was integrated into the next TXP Core with some config fields in the admin-settings.)

<TXP:n00b />

#34 2013-02-15 16:08:40

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

@madzzoni

As you can see from the rest of this thread (and in many other threads on the same subject), this has been discussed at length but currently the decision is not to incorporate into core.

Board footer