Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2012-08-21 04:13:38

genjokoan
Website

Re: Joyent cancels lifetime hosting in October. New host recommendations?

Giovanni, the thing about email service may not be so much about the complexity (if you run Postfix instead of Sendmail) but that it requires a constant vigil to keep safe. Identifying and repairing breaches tend to require either a lot of experience or a lot of time, if not both. And often the source of the problem is going to be php, not the MTA (Mail Transport Agent). That is an unpleasant exercise in forensics for sure.

System problems come and go and as long as they are short lived, most people are not too troubled by them. But email is a whole other thing. Email problems get people wound up faster and longer than most anything else server related.

Put another way, the potential for pain is high. If you have any user other than yourself, your system will be compromised by someone using a very bad password. Sure, you just caught me using unnecessarily grand generalizations. Or did you?

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don’t help … Calvin

#62 2012-08-21 04:24:02

bici
Website Mastodon

genjokoan wrote:

Giovanni, the thing about email service may not be so much about the complexity (if you run Postfix instead of Sendmail) but that it requires a constant vigil to keep safe. Identifying and repairing breaches tend to require either a lot of experience or a lot of time, if not both. And often the source of the problem is going to be php, not the MTA (Mail Transport Agent). That is an unpleasant exercise in forensics for sure.

System problems come and go and as long as they are short lived, most people are not too troubled by them. But email is a whole other thing. Email problems get people wound up faster and longer than most anything else server related.

Put another way, the potential for pain is high. If you have any user other than yourself, your system will be compromised by someone using a very bad password. Sure, you just caught me using unnecessarily grand generalizations. Or did you?

there will be many email users and many that i have no control of over… that is why i will be using a MANAGED service for those sites( and users). I don’t need the hassle of managing PHP problems …and i have a very low pain threshold.

…. texted postive

#63 2012-08-21 06:42:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

BUT the experts advise AGAINST running email

will all these be affected?

• pop emails
  • email forwarding
  • auto-replies
  • email sent from software
    • registration emails
      • txp
      • punbb
  • email forms
    • zcr
  • newsletter
    • postmaster
      • registrations
      • sending newsletters
  • anything else I didn’t think of?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#64 2012-08-21 07:38:27

jstubbs
Website

bici wrote:

@jstubbs: re Gandi: can i have 50 domains on my Shared server? What are the costs per month? Does it have Virtualmin?

Gandi web hosting features two services – Simple Hosting and VPS. I have a test VPS at the moment and it seems fine, not much to administer with Gandi AI. There is no Virtualmin – Gandi AI runs in the browser and is quite simple from my limited testing.

I don’t know about Simple Hosting – but as far as I can see there is no control panel a-la Plesk or Virtualmin. More info on the Gandi Wiki.

#65 2012-08-21 08:15:50

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Avoid anything running Plesk like the plague. We have it only both our web servers and if anything goes wrong, it’s usually down to Plesk screwing around with the config files or it doing a bad update.

#66 2012-08-21 14:28:38

zero
Website

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#67 2012-08-22 09:50:02

kees-b
Website

zero wrote:

What happens to your stuff when the cloud servers disappear

Internet was designed/should be decentralized in its nature. All movement towards centralized organization in ‘clouds’ and ‘social networks’ or whatever might look handy but is scary. Same goes for economy. The more it gets centralized/multinational the worse it gets. When the two meet beware. ‘Hope for the future’ is decentralized and local.

#68 2012-08-22 17:58:53

kvnmcwebn
Website

I hosted a site on joyent/textdrive about 4 or 5 years ago for a big client and the transitional problems they were having at the time messed that account up for me. After that I bought 1 month plans on a few hosts that were recommended here just to test them out first so I wouldn’t get stung again. A small orange was one of them that I remember was good but I needed to run a lot of sites from the one account. I ended up with media temple grid service and havn’t looked back since. 20 bucks a month and thats for 100gigs storage up to a hundred domains and 1000 email accounts and virtually unlimited databases plus awesome admin tools. 1 terabyte traffic. 24/7 phone and email tech support. In that 5 years since I’ve been using them the downtime has probably been like an hour. So what if the servers are not in europe though i think they may have a cloud here now. Anyway I just got a promo email if anyone signs up and mentions me we both get a free month or something so that’s why I’m mentioning it.

mtgs

Last edited by kvnmcwebn (2012-08-22 18:02:04)

its a bad hen that wont scratch itself.
photogallery

#69 2012-08-23 17:48:07

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I signed up during the VCII round and hosted a few domains there. But I found the entire thing to be so unstable that I never used it for much of anything and picked up a Dreamhost account during one of the classic sales (the $39.95 for $19.95 but reduced to $15.95 if you bought enough years in advance – now I get a whole lot more for $6.95 for 5 years). I am coming up on the 8 year anniversary of both.

I stayed on the original server until they finally forced me off a year or two ago. The only domain I ever put up over there was CMS Styles so I just need to move that over to Dreamhost and then I can try to get the whole experience.

My condolences to everyone who has a hard decision to make, though.

#70 2012-08-23 18:20:24

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Joyent’s latest email to me

Thank you for your patience on this issue. I need to put you on hold for a short while if I may. Due to an overwhelming and passionate response from our Lifetime and Shared Hosting customers, we are evaluating a few options right now for the best path forward for our community of users.

In the meantime, there is no change in your service; however, we will get back to you soon with an update on this.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#71 2012-08-24 16:28:49

bici
Website Mastodon

I will look for an option that allows for jailed SFTP to domains. sometimes the user needs to upload files or images which is faster via SFTP

…. texted postive

#72 2012-08-24 17:02:47

springworks
Website

Board footer