Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2012-08-18 06:55:19

jstubbs
Website

Re: Joyent cancels lifetime hosting in October. New host recommendations?

wet wrote:

No. I’d rather rely on gentlemanliness than a cross-border law suit between a multi-million-dollar corp and us.

Of course, its better to stay at Joyent if possible especially given that they have graciously provided free hosting for Textpattern all these years.

What I meant was that it is necessary to protect the interests of the software and its related domains, particularly given how this event came out of the blue. I’d ask for whichever Txp domain Jason owns to be transferred to one of the Devs for safety.

#50 2012-08-18 07:02:06

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote:

They are the #1 host provider in France, and 6th in Europe (according to About page).

Number of hosted domains and sites doesn’t mean anything. Not saying Gandi is bad (they probably are very good for the price), but you don’t exactly run thousands of racks from 5-15 USD a month.

#51 2012-08-18 07:07:44

jstubbs
Website

Gandi have been very good for me – all my domains are registered there. Always been reliable. I requested – and received – one share for their VPS service to test that out, but I tend to agree with Destry that for 8-10 domains maybe simple hosting is enough.

#52 2012-08-18 16:32:21

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

wet wrote:

Destry, this isn’t about the 9$ domain fees per year. Our current hosting is “worth” roundabout 100$ per month.

Sounds about right, with a few differences: that $100 would include backups and if hosted elsewhere (and on something other than Solaris) it would be easier to maintain. However, you can probably host it for half that much; you’d get less, but I’m pretty sure you need less than what you currently have. But if you can get it for free, why waste $600/year :)

The above is based on Linode.com prices (I have a VPS there). Gandi is even cheaper, but I have no experience with them. If you know what you’re doing and don’t need support (“we don’t assume you’re stupid” / “all plans come with $4/month worth of support.”), you could even look at prgmr.com.

Last edited by ruud (2012-08-18 16:44:09)

#53 2012-08-18 17:25:27

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

We have a confirmation message from Joyent’s support that they “will continue to provide this at no charge”. I assume that we can reuse big parts of the current server setup you built last year.

So all we need is a new MX to replace barclay.textdrive.com. This is feasible.

#54 2012-08-19 08:48:41

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

wet wrote:

We have a confirmation message from Joyent’s support that they “will continue to provide this at no charge”. I assume that we can reuse big parts of the current server setup you built last year.

I’m wondering if it is a good idea – if the owners/editors of the sites agree – to migrate all active sites which focus on txp there, including txpmag and txptips.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#55 2012-08-19 09:31:14

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

txpmag is already here.

#56 2012-08-19 21:57:42

genjokoan
Website

I see that support has already responded to the question. I was going to say that I would offer one of my “lifetime” accounts to give Textpattern a home if necessary. Not that I thought it would be necessary, for I was sure that Jason would provide something for the cause. Though it should not be “necessary” I could be open to other ideas. But that is properly a different topic.

If the handle and avatar does not jog one’s memory, I was the TextDriver that mostly kept the BSD systems working.

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don’t help … Calvin

#57 2012-08-20 17:15:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I’m seriously thinking of accepting joyent’s 5 year offer but having read that

imagine one day your website is not running anymore. As long as the SmartMashine is still up and running, support will not be responsible for that. Your options will be to (1) find and resolve the problem yourself, (2) restore your backups from last week (if you have any), or (3) re-provision the original image again which will bring you back to the start, i.e. a running server but a total loss of you individual settings and data.

While it is no magic, you should be aware that you will need some extra time regularly for monitoring, maintenance and troubleshooting.

and

If I were you I wouldn’t host email though. That’s way too much work and there are better options available. But that’s just my personal opinion.

Does anybody here have any experience with SmartOS? is it as complex as the comments above indicate?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#58 2012-08-20 18:11:00

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

That’s not specifically targeted against Joyent and their SmartMachine. It’s same deal with any unmanaged dedicated server or VPS.

It’s just backups. You do the backups and you are responsible of keeping the data safe. It’s ideally the same with managed VPSs too and any service, shared hosting or what’ever. If you value the data you will make your own backups and put them to multiple safe locations.

As far as SmartMachines go, I wouldn’t think it’s backups are any hard or different from anything else. As with any other server or VPS you can do partial backups or full images from the system which you can then restore when something goes wrong, with the exact same tools as with any other service.

But if you now have doubts and have no idea on learning on your own by time or hiring someone for doing server management for you, then maybe that (or any other unmanged) service isn’t for you. Especially as you said in the other thread that your site has 20, 000 views a month. That service is bit of overkill for you. You don’t actually have large sets of concurrent visitor on a normal basis.

#59 2012-08-20 21:40:04

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I mostly agree with Gocom, but it’s not just backups. The hard part is actually learning to set up a server properly, diagnosing problems and fixing them, doing software upgrades without taking services down for a long time. It takes a lot of time and practice to develop the required skill set. If you enjoy doing that, get an unmanaged VPS and have fun.

As for SmartOS. I don’t think I ever quite understood it. I prefer Linux, because I have more experience with that.

#60 2012-08-21 03:36:26

bici
Website Mastodon

SmartOSPlus is fine an dandy for those with some technical skills. BUT the experts advise AGAINST running email on SmartOSPlus.

That is why I will be going both routes: SmartOS+ and webfaction or Gandi

@jstubbs: re Gandi: can i have 50 domains on my Shared server? What are the costs per month? Does it have Virtualmin?

Last edited by bici (2012-08-21 03:36:49)

…. texted postive

Board footer