Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2012-07-24 09:31:29

Algaris

Re: What features would you take from ExpressionEngine

Thank you so much for doing that and for the information Phil. Also one other feature of adi_link that would be nice to have would be the ability to override a links title when outputting a hyperlink like this:

<txp:link id="21" link-text="click here for more information" />

Last edited by Algaris (2012-07-24 16:07:27)

#14 2012-07-24 09:47:41

planeth
Plugin Author
Website

I’m planning on porting my Escher form plugin over to Txp.
@Sam : This would be the killer feature !

#15 2012-07-24 09:55:18

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

planeth wrote:

I’m planning on porting my Escher form plugin over to Txp.
@Sam : This would be the killer feature !

+1, please! :)

#16 2012-07-24 10:02:44

zero
Website

+1 for core plugins
+1 for a proper search

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#17 2012-07-24 15:55:38

bici
Website Mastodon

artagesw wrote:

BTW, re contact forms, I’m planning on porting my Escher form plugin over to Txp. It is capable of handling practically any type of form – not just contact forms – including multi-step forms and multiple forms per page.

Nice to hear … Thanks!

I can see Phil’s argument about Plugins, and i guess the image edits ones are best served outside of core.

But I do favour the Core/CorePlugins approach. I think there is a strong case for having a TxP_Lite and TxP_Enhanced.

…. texted postive

#18 2012-07-24 16:07:38

bici
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

@Dimitri
I’m not sure ‘pathetic’ is the right word to use – we are not charging you up to $299 per install after all. Maybe if we were then that feature would be here right here right now.

I agree. The two products are for different set of users / and applications.

I am big fan of EE and TxP, but we don’t need to denigrate one just because it’s not as “feature rich”.

There is room for both in our toolkit.

Lets play nice and support the TxP team who are doing an excellent job with the updating of Textpattern and the Communication Channels.

Last edited by bici (2012-07-27 04:48:38)

…. texted postive

#19 2012-08-08 17:46:33

bici
Website Mastodon

Another wish is for something like “Content Chunks” : A way to have a user editable form or area where oft used text could be updated by the user e.g.. a Footer Area, an Address Area etc.

…. texted postive

#20 2012-08-08 18:11:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Why don’t you use articles in an internal section for that?

#21 2012-08-08 18:21:51

bici
Website Mastodon

wet wrote:

Why don’t you use articles in an internal section for that?

That would work, i just never that of it before, partly because it seems over-kill. I’ll give it a go on my new site that i am working on.

…. texted postive

#22 2012-08-08 18:24:00

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

There is no overkilll in Textpattern. Articles are where our user-editable content lives, that’s why we have permissions set up the way they are. Looks like a perfect fit.

#23 2012-08-09 02:30:46

Destry
Website

Bici, wet… I’m assuming you’re talking about the ‘chunks’?

I’m not sure what Bici had in mind exactly, but we’ve talked about the idea of chunking before, just not using that term. We talked about the idea in terms of custom fields; extending them so that if you wanted real chunks tied to a given article, they would become textarea boxes and positioned in column with the other main article textarea boxes (excerpt, body…).

If you’ve ever done much reading about enterprise content management, or followed talk about using XML or DITA for structuring content, you’ll see “content chunks” or “chunking” used a lot. It’s nearly an industry term, at least with the practitioners.

Custom chunks could function anywhere, such as meta descriptions in templates, pull-quotes in articles, etc. Even more interesting, they could be bits-o-text that you might want to hide in mobile devices and show in desktop; or even alternate versions (more concise) of excerpts and bodies that are served to mobile. The possibilities are endless, and it seems pretty easy to get at via unlimited and flexible custom boxes.

The difference, which you probably recognize, is that you don’t have to use multiple articles (or combinations of articles and forms) for chunks or alternate versions of content; instead it’s all tied together to a single article and easily edited in one place.

In that case, maybe “custom fields” isn’t the best name for them since that was used when they were all just text fields. Instead, maybe something like “custom chunks”, or “content partials”, or whatever, to help suggest what they’re for.

Whether or not it’s achieved via advancement of custom fields, or by some other approach, having more customizable chunks available per article and editable in the Write panel in context would be very useful.

Good interview here of Karen McGrane by UIE (Jared Spool and gang), with lots of context about chunking, why few CMSs are getting it, and why it’s important for the mobile horizon.

#24 2012-08-09 03:38:45

bici
Website Mastodon

Yep. as you outline. Chunks/ Snippets etc BUT they need to be able to include custom fields so that we, the designer, can control the “look” via CSS and the user can simply change the plain text. Using articles would also work if they had custom fields.

For example if i want to have the user change images that are part of a jquery slideshow what is the structure that can accommodate this?

…. texted postive

Board footer