Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2011-12-04 22:02:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Guests: 58, Users: 2. -- Pardon?

I had a chance to try out the forum on an iPod over the weekend using Tabula. It’s bloody titchy! I mean, it’s tiny enough to read on a 24” monitor but it’s microscopic on a portrait handheld device.

I had to constantly do the two-fingered-zoom thing after every page request to have a hope of reading the content. And the space between Show new posts since last visit and Mark all topics as read was less then 1mm resulting in me — as the token FHT — hitting the ‘mark all’ button when I meant to tap the other one.

Perhaps I just don’t know how to use the device properly to optimize my experience (using Safari, btw on iOS 4.2.1), but with the zoomed-in version I had to do lots of sideways scrolling too which became tiresome. Landscape mode was better, but still a bit fiddly to use.

Is this a common thing on mobile devices that I should just get used to, or does the stylesheet predate mobile design techniques and could thus be improved to aid those of us without 20/20 vision? Could 16 pixels or else work here?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2011-12-04 22:46:09

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

To create a perfectly mobile friendly site (especially something as complex structurally as a forum) is an extremely difficult task – may not even be possible here – depends mostly on how the HTML is laid out to start with. CSS alone won’t cut it.

You also need to consider navigation methods – most desktop methods of navigation, such as a horizontal bar, or drop down menus, just won’t be suitable.

That being said, there are probably a few techniques that could improve this forum if someone’s willing to invest the time. The CSS behind it is pretty tidy from what I’ve seen, which is much better than most forum software I’ve used n the past (be glad it’s not vBulletin, that’s horrific to style).

#39 2011-12-05 21:43:59

lazlo

uli wrote:

Can someone name any reasons for this – as a whole – illogical development trend or one of their symptoms? Are discussions nowadays going on behind login walls in the Facebook group that I don’t perceive (still no FB member, and probably won’t be). Why else avoid so many users logging in? How comes that constant, periodical users don’t post any more? Have we covered every possible question already, is our documentation that perfect, now? Are there any insights based on long-term statistics or download rates? Are there others worried about this development?

I am not taking credit for anything but I pushed out a list of November’s LSYT onto linkedin, and have been pushing LSYT consistently since I came aboard as a “community manager”. I have been active in chatting up anyone who mentions Textpattern on twitter to give a sense of life. The more technical questions still get fielded by the pros (Robert, Steph et al). Ego stroking does bring views but not logins so that may explain it.

#40 2011-12-05 22:03:28

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I don’t know what LSYT means, can you enlighten me?

#41 2011-12-05 22:29:46

uli

lazlo wrote:

I am not taking credit for anything but I pushed out a list of November’s LSYT onto linkedin, and have been pushing LSYT consistently

Ah!
Thanks for naming one more reason.

philwareham wrote:

We had the dificulty the other day in another thread: Les means the “Let’s see yours then” forum.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#42 2011-12-05 22:31:30

redbot
Plugin Author

philwareham wrote:

Let’s See Yours Then

edit: Oops! too late

Last edited by redbot (2011-12-05 22:32:45)

#43 2011-12-05 22:53:02

lazlo

In addition the results Water and Stone Survey came out, and the forum was twitterfied on Thursday the 1st, I think all these have drawn traffic.

Last edited by lazlo (2011-12-05 23:22:10)

Board footer