Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2015-07-08 15:34:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: sed_default_article_status

Bloke wrote #292877:

Yeah probably. So having the option/pref to move to a more structured publishing methodology is a good thing, right? Maybe we stick with Live as default, and you can just set your preferred status from prefs if you don’t like it.

The option to change it: yes, make that a thing – default should, in my humble 2c, stay as Live.

#26 2015-07-08 15:41:27

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292877:

So having the option/pref to move to a more structured publishing methodology is a good thing, right? Maybe we stick with Live as default, and you can just set your preferred status from prefs if you don’t like it.

Yes, thank you. I always have to remember to place the article I’m working on in Draft mode, lest I forget and an unfinished piece floats to the front page, which has happened on a few occasions.

#27 2015-07-08 15:49:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gaekwad wrote #292878:

The option to change it: yes, make that a thing – default should, in my humble 2c, stay as Live.

Will do it tonight, with luck.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#28 2015-07-08 15:56:46

maverick
Website

Preference – easiest way to satisfy different desires. So, yeah, probably a good idea. Even though I get uneasy with preference overload/bloat.

My personal preference is that publish as draft is the default. Then those who want to publish live can change it.

Otherwise, should you overlook setting the preference, the unsuspecting end user doesn’t find a half-baked article sent out for public consumption.

In this case, given the possible outcomes, assume the worst case and set the defaults accordingly.

#29 2015-07-08 21:53:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Landed.

For better or worse I took the path of least resistance and left the default status at Live until you explicitly change it. Fewer surprises for veteran users on new installs. less documentation to hunt down and change. Easy enough to alter for those people that prefer a more editorial workflow.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#30 2015-07-09 08:13:40

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292909:

Landed.

Yay!

Bloke wrote #292877:

Maybe we stick with Live as default, and you can just set your preferred status from prefs if you don’t like it.

Oh well, can’t win ‘em all. Makes me realize the pub_draft (plack/hugin?) is a thing of beauty. And no preferences involved. ;)

gaekwad wrote #292867:

The obvious exception being instant gratification bloggers who want to Write, Publish and Be Damned.

I haven’t done extensive research into this … but I would … say that many or most blogging-centric

Just curious, though, Stef, did being consistent with other single-user blogging tools, and not what’s actually logical in a multi-user editing workflow sway the decision?

Seems to me the default would be suited to the use-nature of your primary (desired) target audience, even if that audience is a new goal, not based on what other systems are doing (which could very well be doing it wrong) or for a blogger audience that’s already tapped out, or even for veterans who might be used to it (humans adapt to bad design).

I’d think, with the tremendous visibility of content marketing and content strategy in recent years that even mommy bloggers are realizing you need to review your drafts once or twice — maybe even write a few in advance before finalizing a given one.

But, it’s done. Move on. Don’t mind me. I’ll make coffee now and be right as left.

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-09 08:23:43)

#31 2015-07-09 09:39:35

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292937:

did being consistent with other single-user blogging tools, and not what’s actually logical in a multi-user editing workflow sway the decision?

It was just for the fewer surprises and less docs to change angles really. Path of least resistance and being lazy, more than anything else.

Making Draft the default is a one-line change and I’m willing to do it if part of the vision is shedding the “blog” image and moving towards the “business site” angle. Though that has the knock on effect of what to do with comments

#32 2015-07-09 10:35:23

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292944:

Making Draft the default is a one-line change and I’m willing to do it if part of the vision is shedding the “blog” image and moving towards the “business site” angle. Though that has the knock on effect of what to do with comments

I would certainly not object to making Draft the default… As for the distinction between “blog” and “business site” – is that so clear cut? is Naked Capitalism a “blog” or a “business site”? (the latter, in my book) – incidentally that article points to closing comments…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#33 2015-07-09 10:43:04

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I don’t have any particular preference for what the default is – for what it’s worth, I position myself in Destry’s mindset of draft words, edit words, draft more, edit more, refresh eyes, edit some more, publish. Sometime’s there’s Jagermeister first, sometimes not – not sure if DW does that in his workflow, but I recommend it in moderation.

I write, edit and drink offline, and use Textpattern as the content management system where I cut and paste the final article into a box. I don’t use plugins to apply version control, and if I want to Just Write, I use Ghost.

Textpattern is a content management system, it’s not WordPress, it’s not Ghost, it’s not Blogger, but I know many other people use it for blogging – hence my comment about other blogging platforms. It was purely for information rather than Textpattern should do this because I shout loudest around here. Perhaps with themes and their related metrics, we can see what the most popular use cases are for this Textpattern thing.

All that said, what I do doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

#34 2015-07-09 10:58:25

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #292944:

“business site” angle.

Sorry to mislead you there. We shouldn’t interchange the notion of “business site” with basic “editorial workflow”, which is what I was talking about. They aren’t the same. A lot of businesses have no clue about content or publishing (that’s why the content marketing/strategy fields are booming), and even blogging has an editorial workflow if the blogger cares at all. I was just pointing that out because so many in the community often voice needing to step away from the “blogging tool” concept, which I tend to agree with.

What individuals do at their own website is a different matter. But the question remains, is that mundane level of use where Textpattern is aiming for, or does it want to demonstrate something that gets the attention/respect of people who need intuitive/structured workflow?

Last edited by Destry (2015-07-09 11:05:04)

#35 2015-07-09 11:26:19

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #292956:

Sorry to mislead you there. We shouldn’t interchange the notion of “business site” with basic “editorial workflow”, which is what I was talking about.

Yeah, sorry. Disregard what I said. Wasn’t thinking straight.

I always Draft first too so I’d be fine with that as default. But I’m a cautious perfectionist.

Given the number of basic typos and grammatical errors in tweets, blogs and Facebook posts (we can’t blame damned autocorrect for everything) I suspect I’m very much alone in wanting what I say to come across as high quality prose. The “Quick quick, post post so I’m seen to be first to think this amazing thought” crowd seem to outnumber me many to one. Incidentally, they’re probably the same people that try to leave a comment then complain it doesn’t appear on the site when they didn’t see the first step was a Preview.

Publish first, worry about the consequences later. Are they Txp’s core demographic? Does making Draft first give a statement about how grown-up the platform is, or is it pretentious and a barrier to immediately publishing and our Just Write philosophy?

Given there’s now a pref to set it, does it matter? And if it matters, does it matter that it matters?!

#36 2015-07-09 17:33:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #292963:

Given there’s now a pref to set it, does it matter? And if it matters, does it matter that it matters?!

It depends on how you use Textpattern.

In one of the many threads we’re carrying on at present, someone said that they use articles just like any of the other building blocks. They are right, an article can be anything, compose it and add it to a chronological section, or it can be the section.

In another post, someone alluded to the fact that out the gates, Textpattern is a blogging tool, with comments, an archive section, etc. I tend to agree, which puts the user in that mindset from the get-go.

In yet another thread, I see talk of a default core install with just the basic building blocks, and letting the user decide his/her direction. Want to do blogging, press here, want a company front page site, that’s the next option down, want a clean slate, then proceed to your site, you can always re-rerun Tasksel.

Board footer