You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2011-07-06 20:47:08

joebaich
Website

Re: hosts for txp 4.4.1

Assuming here that you are still looking:

Media Temple’s Grid Service at USD 20 pm
or
Web Faction at USD 9.50 pm, or less if you pay annually, bi-annually etc.

The support I have received from both is better than average and they stay professionally up to date with the technology. The former is based on the US West Coast and the latter in London but with servers in Texas and Amsterdam. I prefer Web Faction of the two but it’s not based on the price differential.

#14 2011-07-06 21:01:49

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

Yeah, in case 100 or more patches are released, every software, including Textpattern should have leading zeros in every number sequence. v004.004.001 is much more understandable than v4.4.1. Now everyone understands that there is a ten after a nine.

I first ran into this with MRTG years ago – 2.17.2 being the current version, or the third iteration of the 18th release of version 2.

I have always thought it indicated bad planning. If you need to go above x.9, you should just raise the version number. In the case of MRTG, there is a major codebase refactoring planned for version 3 (sort of Textpattern 5). Unlike Txp 5, which was announced a few months ago, MRTG 3 was announced around 2005, in the era we would refer to as the third iteration of the 1st release of version 4.

As for hosting solutions, I am still using this same Dreamhost account.

#15 2011-07-07 01:27:00

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

If you need to go above x.9, you should just raise the version number.

In case the number sequences stand for major.minor.patch, should a featureless security patch become a feature update? I disagree. That would just make the version numbering scheme meaningless, and in that case you could as-well just use roman numerals. Would be funny if, for example, Apple jumped to 10.7 right after 10.6.9 without doing any changes.

#16 2011-07-07 02:58:20

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Gocom wrote:

In case the number sequences stand for major.minor.patch, should a featureless security patch become a feature update? I disagree.

I agree, but you should never get there. If you have released say 1.0.0 all the way up to 1.9.9 it is probably time for 2.0. Textpattern has never had a problem that. Wordpress has never had a problem with that. I realize that MySQL has to be careful about doing major releases but 6 years between major releases is a very long time, especially considering that versions 4 only lasted 3 years and 1-3 for a total of 7.

And there is always the option 1.9.9.1 rather that 1.9.10.

#17 2011-07-07 03:51:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

michaelkpate wrote:

And there is always the option 1.9.9.1 rather that 1.9.10.

What does the additional number sequence stand for in major.minor.patch scheme? Number sequences can be used so that you can easily tell what the release is. If you are going for that route, you could as-well use something far more consumer friendly like major.update scheme (v1 update 19), date based version numbering or the plain revision id. Why would you have sequences if you don’t use it.

#18 2011-07-07 05:08:31

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

@Joe

Thanks sooo much.

Do clean URLs work fine in MT?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2011-07-07 05:14:17

joebaich
Website

colak wrote:

Fine and dandy straight out of the box.

Last edited by joebaich (2011-07-07 05:15:03)

#20 2011-07-07 05:39:38

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

colak wrote:

As Joe said, yep. MT’s grid service has the most common modules installed including ModRewrite and everything should be decently up-to-date software-wise.

If you are looking into the grid service, keep in mind that it is real grid hosting. Your site(s) (plural as you can use the service to host anything you want to, including SVN) will be packed by cluster of servers, but just like other grid services (or insert word “cloud” here), they will charge you for what you use. The base $20 gives you set of resource you can use, but if your sites are popular and you use more resources, you will have to pay more. Your sites won’t be “closed” if you get blasted by traffic spikes, instead they will allocate more resources for you.

That’s the great part of the service too which is what normal smaller shared hosting package providers can’t do. If we are talking sites like neme.org, you likely won’t have any problems with the allocated GPUs tho.

#21 2011-07-18 18:32:19

frickinmuck

I absolutely swear by Media Temple. To me the real test of any service isn’t just what it can do, but what happens when something goes wrong. Media Temple are proactive about potential problems and have multiple ways of keeping people up to date on issues. I’ve almost always found out about problems from them, before I even noticed anything was wrong. That’s saying something. Also, their customer support is second to none. They have knowledgeable people on board who are obviously paid well and like their jobs, because they’re always friendly and helpful.

Over the years I’ve been through possibly dozens of companies, and I tell you, I’m practically an evangelist for MT now because of the huge difference dealing with them has made to both my freelance work and my day job running a web department (I’ve made MT our hosting partner there). I just hope they keep it up, because I dread ever having to go back to dealing with hosting nightmares.

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

#22 2011-08-01 04:25:55

colak
Admin

I’ve been reading some testimonials on MT and I now have my doubts as they say their support sucks.

Recommendations for a txp compatible host are still sought.

Yiannis
——————————

#23 2011-08-01 16:18:30

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Yiannis

I’ve been quite happily hosting TXP sites on Dreamhost for a few years now. There were a few issues with their server availability the first 6 months I was with them but I’ve not had any problems for over 2 years.

TXP works right out of the box — in fact I think it is now a one-click install.

Steve

#24 2011-08-01 17:10:22

colak
Admin

Hi steve,

Is Dreamhost’s support ok?

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer