Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#73 2012-07-16 00:52:39

tye
Website

Re: Where does all that spam come from?

I think most spam registrations are just for the Profile website backlink – how about making the website link rel=‘nofollow’.

Doing something about immediate signature use is something I have used and it works – something like this mod

But you guys do a great job anyway…. Its only the odd few which seem to get through

#74 2012-07-16 05:00:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

New members do not get the opportunity to add a website to their profile at all. They also cannot add a signature unless they have proven worthy.

#75 2012-07-16 11:03:31

uli

wet wrote:

New members do not get the opportunity to add a website to their profile at all. They also cannot add a signature unless they have proven worthy.

That’ll either make them reveal their intentions in BBCode in their posts or maybe even promote the use of Textile ;)

But seriously: thanks!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#76 2012-07-16 23:11:46

tye
Website

Nice one Robert…. I probably should have checked that before posting :)

I do remember seeing a long while back that http://forum.textpattern.com was on a list of forums who didn’t use rel=“nofollow” in their profiles…. which is why people keep trying to spam – they just haven’t updated their lists, or checked their submits

#77 2012-07-17 12:37:00

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

colak wrote:

Hi ruud, what you say is very true but shouldn’t the ‘listed’ IP block the registration of the particular user in this forum?

Yes, if the IP was listed at the time of registration. I suspect it wasn’t. I’ve seen spammers register weeks before posting.

Board footer