Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2014-10-29 15:52:47

michaelkpate
Website

Re: [howto] Date-Based Archives - Yearly, Monthly, Daily, and Complete

ingleslenobel wrote #285218:

Hello Michael,

I’m almost certainly doing something silly but this isn’t playing nicely for me – see this example page

It may very well be because I didn’t know what header-archives is meant to be – I guessed a misc form but I suspect that’s completely wrong?

I think you are pointing out how bad I am at writing directions. :)

header-archives is indeed a miscellaneous form – I noted that on version 3 but not on version 4. Technically, you could just add the code to the page forms but I prefer to separate out the code when I can – especially when it will be used more than once.

I noticed that in your example the url of the first blog post is: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/extremist/extremist+blog+test

I am assuming this means you haven’t set the Permanent Link Mode to /year/month/day/title in your Preferences. Because I would expect to see something more like: http://www.datebasedarchives.cmsstyles.com/2014/10/29/blog-test which shouldn’t be strictly necessary (I just tested and this worked anyway) but seems more logical.

The subdirectory though may be a problem. Let me check on that.

#12 2014-10-29 17:07:28

ingleslenobel

Cool, I guessed right:)

In truth I’m completely new to textpattern and hadn’t realised that I needed to change the permanent link mode to use this. Doing so is a bit of a problem for me from the SEO point of view sadly.

What I’m really after is the ability for users to browse to articles several ways. By category, and by date but all those having a permanent url which uses the title. Ie a topnav item that says archives, that goes to some page which has a treelike list descending by date, and the items link to /pagetitle/ pages, with the latter being the permanent link.

Does that make sense – does your work do something like this or am I way off :)

Thank you

#13 2014-10-29 17:15:14

michaelkpate
Website

ingleslenobel wrote #285221:

Cool, I guessed right:)

In truth I’m completely new to textpattern and hadn’t realised that I needed to change the permanent link mode to use this. Doing so is a bit of a problem for me from the SEO point of view sadly.

What I’m really after is the ability for users to browse to articles several ways. By category, and by date but all those having a permanent url which uses the title. Ie a topnav item that says archives, that goes to some page which has a treelike list descending by date, and the items link to /pagetitle/ pages, with the latter being the permanent link.

Does that make sense – does your work do something like this or am I way off :)

Thank you

Actually you don’t have to – as I found out a little earlier. If you land on a url like year/month this will still work. I just tend to think of people hand-altering Urls wp-style by maybe I am the only one that does that.

There is definitely nothing stopping you from doing a single page – that was the first method I came up with. When I have some free time later, I’ll take a look at how to setup that up again.

#14 2014-10-29 17:25:03

ingleslenobel

michaelkpate wrote #285222:

Actually you don’t have to – as I found out a little earlier. If you land on a url like year/month this will still work. I just tend to think of people hand-altering Urls wp-style by maybe I am the only one that does that.

There is definitely nothing stopping you from doing a single page – that was the first method I came up with. When I have some free time later, I’ll take a look at how to setup that up again.

Brilliant, thanks. That thread you linked to was one I’d looked through a few days ago but like many which talk about date based archives are just a little over my head at the moment. And I don’t know how many work with this latest version as well.

Thanks again

#15 2014-10-29 21:56:26

michaelkpate
Website

I uploaded a new 1.1 version of the plugin to Github. This one works correctly if Textpattern is installed in a Subdirectory.

Board footer