Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#313 2012-11-02 12:01:09

Destry
Website

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

wet wrote:

IMHO, Textile is no more or less an “insidious” markup as Markdown, BBCode, or Wikitext. What would you suggest as a replacement for Textile in this forum?

Please don’t use BBCode. Please.

@Stef:

A couple suggestions on the Comments master pref in 4.6dev:

1. Instead of “Accept comments”, change to Deactivate comments functionality? (And then “Yes” as default, because it’s an opt-out question.)
  2. In the popup help tip, change it to: Saying “Yes” turns off the global website commenting functions and hides these features in the admin UI.

Much more clear in both cases.

Edit: Note I changed it from “removes” to hides… a better word.

Last edited by Destry (2012-11-02 12:07:28)

#314 2012-11-02 12:05:50

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Bryon wrote:

The way I see it is that sending static content like pages/css via XML would be the greatest savings both to DB queries and in transfer time.

That’s already possible with some plugins for css/js/other external files, with all the benefice of browser caching.

If there were a fast and complete XML implementation in PHP, I would say “let’s go for XML” without hesitation. The few XML-based CMS I know use somewhat outdated SimpleXML, without very much success. But PHP DOM is promising, it’s fast and implements more and more XML components. Could it compete with DB storage some day? I think we should be ready (dreamed I were txp dev, sorry :)

#315 2012-11-02 12:11:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote:

Instead of “Accept comments”, change to Deactivate comments functionality? (And then “Yes” as default, because it’s an opt-out question.)

I don’t think this is too likely due to backwards compatibility, since you’re reversing the current logic of the pref option. Maybe “Enable comments functionality” would be satisfactory (with a default of ‘yes’).

#316 2012-11-02 12:13:00

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote:

Instead of “Accept comments”, change to *Deactivate comments functionality? (And then “Yes” as default, because it’s an opt-out question.)

And opt-in question makes more sense, imho. Perhaps the label could read ‘Activate comments’ rather than ‘Accept…’ (and default is ‘no’)

In the future, actively set the pref to ‘yes’ could trigger some subprefs – choice of comment system: Built-in, Discus, other.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#317 2012-11-02 12:17:29

Destry
Website

It shouldn’t be affecting backwards compatibility as long as nobody who’s been using comments decides to say “Yes”. By default I meant only that “Yes” is showing by default. But now that you mention it, I was envisioning a Yes/No drop-down, not active-state radio buttons, so that could be a problem, yes.

Point is, I’m less concerned about which way the opting goes, and more concerned about clarity of words. :)

Last edited by Destry (2012-11-02 12:19:39)

#318 2012-11-02 12:34:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote:

Please don’t use BBCode. Please.

BBCode shudder

Deactivate comments functionality?

I’m not a fan of negative logic ‘cos it makes things awkward at the conceptual and programming levels. If the wording needs to be clearer then fine it can be changed easily enough, but swapping the logic round isn’t my idea of fun.

EDIT: Phil said it better.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-11-02 12:34:39)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#319 2012-11-02 12:42:49

Destry
Website

Oh I love negative logic. Don’t you know? I love jumbo shrimp too.

What I’m trying to say is that “Accept comments” didn’t really convey the magnitude of what the preference could do. It’s a wonderful preference and needs to be put in words that make it clear it doesn’t just controll whether or not you accept comments on articles… it has the power to make it all disappear! Like sweet white magic.

#320 2012-11-02 12:44:07

Bryon

wet wrote: IMHO, Textile is no more or less an “insidious” markup as Markdown, BBCode, or Wikitext. What would you suggest as a replacement for Textile in this forum?

At least add BBCode as an option. It is what is expected. It is what 99% of people are already familiar with. It’s not pretty and it doesn’t save time but it completely avoids standing out and giving a bad first impression. As more and more WP installs get hacked, and they will (not because WP is weak but because it has the most exposure), Textpattern will draw more interest. I see it as not just as a matter of personal taste like it once was. Give people the option of becoming familiar with Textile instead of just dropping them into it like cold water and expecting them to be comfortable.

etc wrote:
That’s already possible with some plugins for css/js/other external files, with all the benefice of browser caching.

Yes, but if XML were a core component there would be no need for such work arounds and the benefit of having XML as a go-between for situations like comments would simply be available.

etc wrote:
If there were a fast and complete XML implementation in PHP, I would say “let’s go for XML” without hesitation. The few XML-based CMS I know use somewhat outdated SimpleXML, without very much success. But PHP DOM is promising, it’s fast and implements more and more XML components. Could it compete with DB storage some day? I think we should be ready (dreamed I were txp dev, sorry :)

I fully agree. It needs research. I just put it out as a suggestion considering that v5 is probably 1.5 – 2 years away. Now is probably the best time to start gathering logs before they get thrown onto the fire / put every option out there before it’s time to make final decisions.

#321 2012-11-02 13:09:59

Destry
Website

Not to drag out this trivial discussion about forum text formatting, but here’s my 2¢ on it, which is a better place to discuss it anyway.

#322 2012-11-02 14:52:40

Destry
Website

Stef,

What about the scenario where someone has past comments, then decides they don’t want comments (ever), nor to bother saving those in the past. In this case the expectation might be to select “deactivate” comments, or whatever you want to call it, and the Comments panel would go away, even if it had comments in it.

However, just tried, and that doesn’t appear to be the case. Comments panel is still there. So what happens, then. Must they first manuallly delete all comments and then the panel disappears? Maybe there needs to be a “flush comments” function next to the master pref in those cases so the panel does go away?

Last edited by Destry (2012-11-02 14:54:38)

#323 2012-11-02 15:05:26

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I take it you are talking about comments on the public-side Destry, not the admin-side?

#324 2012-11-02 15:08:48

Destry
Website

No. Admin-side.

I have article forms setup so no comments are used on public side at all. But I have old comments from years ago in the Comments panel. I’ve chosen to “Accept comments?” No. Everything goes away except the Comments panel. But I want that to go away too.

Board footer