Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#277 2012-01-12 17:33:23

mrdale
Website

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

I unquestionably prefer Mac OS 10.x to OS 9.x… but at the time of transition I wasn’t so sure. This may sting a bit, but…

#278 2012-01-15 13:09:24

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK, so I’ve cloned the textpattern5 repo on Google Code, made a couple of minor revisions, how to I do a pull request back to the official textpattern5 repo?

#279 2012-01-15 18:43:11

artagesw
Website

Create a new issue using the “Review request” template. (We should probably create a “pull request” template that is a bit more specific.) Include the address of your clone in the request.

#280 2012-01-16 11:40:10

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

artagesw wrote:

Create a new issue using the “Review request” template. (We should probably create a “pull request” template that is a bit more specific.) Include the address of your clone in the request.

Sorry, I can’t seem to find a review request template. Can you be a bit more specific as to where I’d find that?

#281 2012-01-17 13:51:09

Neko

The future of TXP has often been a future driven by clients, in the sense, for example, that Zem once got a feature request from a client asking for an effective contact form, and zem_contact was born. Same goes for plug-ins: Rob Sable was asked to integrate Google Maps and rss_maps was born. And so and so and so.

In the same fashion, I can see, or at least sense, why developers would like to switch to a new framework. May be the case that S/P will allow them to code more efficiently and/or the framework will natively take care of the many issues they are tackling with the current technology. I don’t know, I’m guessing. Frankly, I don’t care that much since I don’t write plug-ins, I just assemble TXP tags and design stuff. And as long as TXP remains fast as hell and retains its XML-esque tags, I’m happy with it.

My point is, a client-driven CMS is still the ultimate goal? I mean, is TXP still being build to accommodate its developers needs or it is being build in order to gain market share, gain adoption from users and so on? Because if it’s the latter, a new framework won’t change a thing. What TXP needs, IMHO, is a bunch of features that have little to do with the underlying technology.

TXP needs easy theming, easy image uploading/posting and galleries creation, easy ways to manage custom fields, a WYSIWYG editor built on top of Textile, a multi-language functionality similar to WP’s WPML. These are the things that, IMVHO, should be the priorities if one’s goal is world domination. If that’s not the case, sorry, I understand and I will keep using and cheering for TXP because it’s still great.

#282 2012-01-25 17:00:46

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I want to fork and contribute code (to TXP4 and possibly TXP5) but I’m finding Google Code a total pain in the preverbials to use. Mercurial might be ‘the shit’ to some people (including my brother who swears by it), but if nobody can contribute to a project that is in dire need of more contributors then it’s a moot point.

Also, the (official?) mirror of TXP4 SVN on Github needs to be kept more in sync (it’s showing latest commits being from November last year). Needs some cron job set up or something like these people do.

Sorry to sound like I’m griping here.

#283 2012-01-25 17:56:01

Destry
Website

What I see is that Textpattern 5 may be a long time coming if contributions don’t happen, and not many people are stepping up. For those who are (e.g., Phil) they’re hitting barriers. The math seems simple to me; if you need contribs, make the inline vector as facilitated as possible for those you’ve got on the wagon.

Neko wrote:

[I]s a client-driven CMS is still the ultimate goal? [I]s TXP … being build to gain adoption from users and so on?

I sure hope so, because all the time/effort going into making TXP (the official name of the magazine) a quality publication is not simply for a few dozen forum veterans who couldn’t care less. The objective is to fill a void always missing in this project (PR), and thus putting Textpattern back on the map. I.e., the assumption is, yes, the Textpattern project is looking at gaining better market share.

TXP needs easy theming, easy image uploading/posting and galleries creation, easy ways to manage custom fields, a WYSIWYG editor built on top of Textile, a multi-language functionality similar to WP’s WPML. These are the things that, IMVHO, should be the priorities if one’s goal is world domination.

Agreed. World domination is probably over the top, but these are certainly features Textpattern should be considering if it wants to remain a viable option in the market.

#284 2012-01-25 18:50:38

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I’ve also submitted at least two revisions of the new front-side theme since it was first rolled into SVN and neither have been implemented. Not exactly filling my desire to continue working on it guys.

On a happier note, I’m writing a kick-ass new admin theme for TXP4 based on some of the work done for TXP5, so look out for that sometime soon.

#285 2012-01-25 21:46:50

mrdale
Website

phil, keep going. Your admin theme work is really good.

#286 2012-01-25 22:08:26

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale wrote:

phil, keep going. Your admin theme work is really good.

+1 googol

#287 2012-01-26 06:26:21

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

philwareham wrote:

Also, the (official?) mirror of TXP4 SVN on Github…

Strictly unofficial. We have no access to these repositories at all although Github’s plumbing manages to show my face there:

An unofficial mirror of the Textpattern SVN codebase. Maintained for your convenience by Steve (netcarver). (From https://github.com/textpattern/dev4.0)

philwareham wrote:

I’ve also submitted at least two revisions of the new front-side theme since it was first rolled into SVN and neither have been implemented.

Your theme will act as the default theme of the next release (Textpattern CMS 4.5). I thought this has been made absolutely clear previously – why else would I have commited your first delivery? Your subsequent refinements from late last year will land as soon as I have sorted out some HTML5 issues is core.

Not exactly filling my desire to continue working on it guys.

Sorry to hear. Thanks for your contribution so far. I think it provides an excellent starting point for new users in its current shape.

#288 2012-01-26 08:14:16

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Jolly good. Thanks for clearing up those points Robert. I was in a general strop yesterday due to battling with Google Code and MacHg.

Board footer