Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#241 2011-10-03 10:49:29

alanfluff
Website

Re: The direction of Textpattern 5

Still grateful for the pointer, this post suggests the plugin is perhaps not 100% wrinkle free for, say, latest TXP with a few plugins?

I suppose that’s one reason why it would be good if this functionality was core to TXP. But I’m guessing getting something to be core to TXP is both a big ask as it’s a lot of work and also the devs need to be super careful to keep the core focussed.

My vote (like I had one): Once TXP is installed the two large uses it is put two are the designer/builder getting the site up and the user(s) using the CMS to publish content. A third lesser (usually, but over time not inconsiderable) use case is the designer/builder maintaining and adapting it. As a large part of the designer/bulder’s interaction with TXP are solely what they type and save in forms and Pages, I think if this were a core part of TXP it would be a considerably popular and useful new (to the core) feature.

After reading that post, I am dubious about adding that plugin :/ but I am still most grateful to you Julián and Ross for the posts.

I think I need to do some more digging to see how likely that problem raised would be to affect me.

Cheers, -Alan

At LAST I’ve cheerfully donated to the core devs at #TXP. I only wish I were able to give more. Thanks to the devs and ALL fellow TXPers. -A

#242 2011-10-03 11:04:27

alanfluff
Website

Thanks Ross. Assuming this mod is the only one I need to do, in your experience is cnk_versioning then 100% robust regardless of plugins you’ve used?

Guessing the answer is “yes” so sorry for asking.

PS: I know I use it at my own risk etc :)

Cheers, -Alan

At LAST I’ve cheerfully donated to the core devs at #TXP. I only wish I were able to give more. Thanks to the devs and ALL fellow TXPers. -A

#243 2011-10-03 11:50:25

alanfluff
Website

Scrub that useless last post, sorry Ross you’d answered my Q’s, and of course it works a charm, using it now.

I also changed where the files are stored and the extensions, excellent. Thanks again! Cheers, -Alan

#244 2011-10-03 13:14:31

Algaris

Yes that’s the one.

I haven’t experienced any major issues myself. Most of the relatively minor issues I’ve had were due to me not creating the correct folders or one time where the plugin didn’t install correctly. You can see my posts in that thread for more information.

The only thing I keep forgetting to do is to toggle the Production Status to Testing after I’ve set it to LIve for a DB export for the Live site. I suppose there is the risk of getting the database / files out of sync if you toggle the plugin off edit things in Textpattern and then re-enable it.

So long as your cautious and do a DB backup, etc before you installing you should be fine.

Last edited by Algaris (2011-10-03 13:31:53)

#245 2011-10-03 13:18:48

alanfluff
Website

Excellent, thanks for the wisdom Ross! Cheers, -Alan

#246 2012-01-06 14:14:29

Destry
Website

This thread seems to have devolved into affairs of current abilities and solutions. I’d like to bring the focus back to the future — Texpattern CMS 5.

Would the devs mind giving a status report about how many more years we can expect? (Latest progress, existing barriers, new exciting things, etc.)

#247 2012-01-06 18:01:04

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

The article “The road to Txp 5” date of June 2010. And not much visibility since this article.

Maybe an update of the section “Community” of the wiki. There is a section “Community Projects” that displays old projects. Perhaps it would be good to include

• Txp 5
  • TxpMag
  • Redesign “textpattern.org”.

With a list of members and a roadmap on each project ?

#248 2012-01-06 20:14:12

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Are you guys psychic or something? Every time I write a .com blog post and set it to draft ready for publication, someone writes on the forum a day or two beforehand “when are we going to hear about X” which is the very thing I’ve written about :-\

EDIT: no roadmap, I’m allergic to them. And you’ll see why when you read the blog post.

Last edited by Bloke (2012-01-06 20:14:55)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#249 2012-01-07 02:18:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

There you go. I’d say something cheap like “better late than never” but it’d only remind me of how tardy I’ve been.

Anyway, this’ll either change everything or nothing depending on the community input. Let’s hope when it comes to the crunch we’re as collaborative as we tell ourselves we are!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#250 2012-01-07 08:47:55

Destry
Website

Thanks, Stef. I’m going to go read that now. You know I was just chipping ice of topside, right? :)

#251 2012-01-08 06:35:45

mrdale
Website

Big ups Stef. You’re doing a great job.

#252 2012-01-08 14:43:51

Destry
Website

sacripant wrote:

Maybe an update of the section “Community” of the wiki. There is a section “Community Projects” that displays old projects. Perhaps it would be good to include

• Txp 5
  • TxpMag
  • Redesign “textpattern.org”.
    With a list of members and a roadmap on each project ?

Those old projects should be taken out of the wiki. They’re just clogging up the search engines with useless information. That goes on the to-do list.

I can’t speak for the Txp 5 activity.

I fully endorse using a project wiki page for the Plugins site though, because Stef certainly needs help on that and maybe a dedicated project page would give it some visibility. Frankly, as many times as Stef has put out a call for design help there, and as many designers as this community has, I’m very surprised nobody ever wants to give him a hand.

Regarding TXP (the mag), however, it will be content handled in the magazine itself. Everything will be more clear after the first issue is published (middle of next month). But basically it’s not an open community project. There will be channels to contribute in the way of articles, but it’s otherwise run by a small editorial team, already established (though openings will be announced in the first issue), with a team project environment behind it. Anything in the wiki is unnecessary and redundant.

The communication channels between (or around) TXP and the public are principally the @txpmag Twitter account and the new TXP G+ page for longer discussions. Since the magazine’s scope is more than just Textpattern CMS users, we choose channels that reach a greater audience base. We don’t presume to expect people who’ve never heard of Textpattern before to have an account in this forum and read it regularly. By being in the social ocean, we are more likely to get more eyes. That’s where the energy will go.

I really won’t be sharing to much about the magazine in this forum beyond what I’m sharing now, because the mag will pretty much speak for itself after the first issue. (Les “lazlo” Smith might share some things as TXP’s de facto community manager.) But I—and others on the editorial team—will be holding court in the G+ page for any and all discussion. Come join us there, it’s public.

Last edited by Destry (2012-01-08 17:40:09)

Board footer