Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2011-02-11 14:16:21

maverick
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] cxc_templates : front-end template management

Doc

It’s really polishing up :)

sorry for the poor timing. late last night I installed v0.8 on a multi-site install and definitely wasn’t newbie friendly. Granted, a newbie isn’t going to probably be setting up Txp as multi-site. So perhaps its not of great importance.

It was late, and I did not have a lot of time to play with around, but among the issues that I found:

• In the case of last night, I was logged in using the main domain, and the standard symlink to the admin (domain.com/admin). It required that I change the hardcoded sitepath.textpattern to admin and that worked
  • each muti-site gets its owm tmp directory
  • Even though I have php 5.3.x running, the upload of the zip would start and then fail. Several errors telling me it failed mixed with “successfully upload” messages. Weird. I ended up ftping an unzipped file and everything worked.

#26 2011-02-11 20:08:17

~cXc~
Plugin Author

I do not fully understand the multi site set up, I had planned to work on it before beta release but forgot.

I’m going to guess that the upload issue is also related to the multi site feature of TXP, if successfully uploaded is displayed then the upload is successful but there are issues with the export/import. I’m thinking this might also be related to the location of the default template directory.

I’ll try to setup a multi site on my server tonight and see if I can get around the issues, I may end up having to add pref’s to the plugin so that multi sites are supported, sorry for the inconvenience :( thank you very much for the report, I’ll get to work on it as soon as I get multi sites figured out.

#27 2011-02-11 20:24:41

maverick
Website

cXc wrote:

if successfully uploaded is displayed then the upload is successful but there are issues with the export/import.

The tpl director was empty until I ftp’d. I’m pretty sure it had to do w/ paths. That seems to be the biggest gotchya w/ multi-sites.

I’ll try to setup a multi site on my server tonight and see if I can get around the issues.

No problem on the inconvenience. Just was the first time I tried it on my m.s. install.

When you use the m.s. option you have a lot more flying — you have the public, private, and admin folders, symlinks, and the ability but not the requirement to set up the admin as a separate/subdomain. Plus you can but don’t have to move the websites (and/or sites folder) out of the txp install. Again – it all has to do with how you set up your directory structure on your server, and how good you are with symlinks.

#28 2011-02-11 21:19:30

~cXc~
Plugin Author

maverick wrote:

When you use the m.s. option you have a lot more flying — you have the public, private, and admin folders, symlinks, and the ability but not the requirement to set up the admin as a separate/subdomain. Plus you can but don’t have to move the websites (and/or sites folder) out of the txp install. Again – it all has to do with how you set up your directory structure on your server, and how good you are with symlinks.

You are scaring me, lol only time I have used symlinks on my server is when I’m adding vhosts containers … o.O … and to be honest, that consist of me copy / pasting one of the existing vhost containers and editing paths and domain names to the new vhost, I barely understand my server o.O

… I guess the good news is “I don’t give up” and I’ll eventually have it all figured out (goes for both M.S. and the plugin code) lol

I’ll either update this post with my progress or add a new one if there are posts made between now and then, probably be about 12 – 16 hours before I can get started on this :( so please post any other errors/issues discovered in standard or M.S. installations ;)

[ EDIT ] Which setup do I need to use? Are you using M.S. option A or B setup? [ /EDIT ]

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-02-11 21:54:51)

#29 2011-02-11 22:40:03

maverick
Website

M.S.‘s not hard. Just . . . quirky :)

Yesterday I started a post on some of the ins and outs of multi-site installs

My host allows me to set the path for each domain (the public folder). So I’ve been setting the main url to the public folder, and a subdomain to the admin folder. I’ve just begun to experimenting with moving the each site folder out of textpattern/sites. The site I was using was in textpattern/sites.

symlinks are actually pretty easy using a command line. I usually google one of the online references just to refresh my memory.

I normally use a subdomain for my admin. Which is the case with this. Except I left a symlink intact so I could log in at tld.com/symlink (work around so rvm_privileged would work properly for me).

I’m on another project for work for the next few days, and won’t have much time free. But if I get a chance I’ll try to test it out more. Just can’t promise I’ll get to it.

Thanks, and good luck! :)

Mike

#30 2011-02-12 03:29:42

~cXc~
Plugin Author

Thanks for all the info, I actually guessed wrong and setup for the other type M.S. but I needed to get it right for both setups anyway so that doesn’t matter much ;) good to know I got a few days to get something ready and do some troubleshooting lol I was trying to have a full fix ready overnight lol that’s usually a bad idea for me o.O it would have worked but it might not have been clean code this will let me relax a little and work any kinks out of my code, I think I have it working already just need to find better code to do what I’m doing now if there is a better way I can find to do it :P

I’m not sure how I missed that post but I will use it to help set up my other test environment.

As far as my vhost containers go they all had “Options +FollowSymLinks” already anyway so hopefully I’ve done it right.

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName coding.zapto.org
ServerAlias www.coding.zapto.org
DocumentRoot "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/cxcedge.com/sites/coding.zapto.org/public"
    <Directory "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/cxcedge.com/sites/" >
	Options Indexes +FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
	AllowOverride All
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
    </Directory>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/coding.zapto.org/cgi-bin/"
ServerAdmin email2chaos@yahoo.com
CustomLog logs/coding.zapto.org.log combined
ErrorLog logs/coding.zapto.org_error.log
LogLevel error
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName admin.coding.zapto.org
DocumentRoot "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/cxcedge.com/sites/coding.zapto.org/admin"
    <Directory "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/cxcedge.com/sites/" >
	Options Indexes +FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
	AllowOverride All
	Order allow,deny
	Allow from all
    </Directory>
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "PATH/TO/SERVER/htdocs/coding.zapto.org/cgi-bin/"
ServerAdmin email2chaos@yahoo.com
CustomLog logs/coding.zapto.org.log combined
ErrorLog logs/coding.zapto.org_error.log
LogLevel error
</VirtualHost>

I really only have a live server for dev and so I can show things to friends or prove to clients I can do what I tell them I can, I am a horribly inexperienced and incompetent sys admin lol

I’ll work on the other setup tomorrow ;)

[ EDIT 1 ] Oh wow what a mess o.O this is going to require quite a bit of thought before I can figure out how to fix these M.S. errors, I’ve got my setup messed up anyway … tomorrow is going to be fun :(

So far I have no admin themes on my M.S. sites and all kinds of errors when I import because its still trying to use my textpattern “tmp” directory and its having trouble moving files to the “tpl” directory its created because the paths are messed up o.O it uses the “tmp” folder in my main textpattern directory and the “tpl” directory from sites/site1/ o.O oh wonderful headaches lol [ /EDIT 1 ]

[ EDIT 2 ] I’ve finally managed to get M.S. option A sites set up and have a modified version of the plugin working for it and standard installs but I can’t even get M.S. option B sites to do anything o.O for some reason M.S option B sites don’t redirect properly for me :(

Maverick, if you are interested let me know and I’ll get you the new version for testing but until I can get a M.S. oB test site up on my server I won’t be able to work on it much [ /EDIT 2 ]

[ EDIT 3 ] MSsupport Branch added to the project, once fully tested this will be merged back into the main project. [ /EDIT 3 ]

Last edited by ~cXc~ (2011-02-15 01:37:23)

#31 2011-07-10 18:47:00

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

Hi there,

I really like cxc_templates, but is there a way to enforce certain site-wide preferences (such as date format, url style, comments and such)? Also some plugin settings (for example smd_bio, which fields are set up) would be nice to include into a theme.

Since the documentation did not help me so much maybe someone here could help me out. How can I include txp core preferences and plugin-specific preferences to a theme that can be imported using cxc_templates?

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#32 2011-07-10 18:52:26

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

cXc wrote:

Nobody complained about the last couple releases so I went ahead and added language string support (until I can figure out textpacks) and moved the release to public beta. The cxc_templates v0.1.0 plugin is now available at Google Code and I’ve updated the first post of this thread :)

Is the language string support also applicable to themes? So that I could create a theme that in installation 1 would be in english versus installation 2 it (i.e. the exact same zip file that a user imported) would result in a french localized theme? That would be terrific!

Yoko for Textpattern – A free blog themeMinimum Theme – If all you want to do is write.
Note: I am currently not actively using Textpattern, so I am not in the forums very often

#33 2011-07-11 20:23:46

Manaus
Website

Love it.
Would be wonderful to have a ‘export articles’ just to move websites from local to remote and back, and some way to automatically install a page/form/article whenever it’s changed.

#34 2011-08-02 02:19:13

tye
Website

OK – I just started to use this to import the yoko theme – and I got it to work great :)

Then I thought cool, I’ll import another theme – so tried TXP Tumbog – but this didn’t seem to import correctly at all (would the version of TXP have an effect on using this, I just noticed that TXP Tumbog was built for 4.3). Just to check – I uploaded the template into the /tpl folder selected it from the dropdown, then press import – I did nothing else – is that right? I didn’t import, just a message about preimport-data being deleted.

So I tried the translucence template, which didn’t work either – it mentioned that it was all imported OK, and the yoko theme exported (so TXP Tumblog can’t have worked) – but when I view site – I get this error (front of site and admin):

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare theme_variables_tip() (previously declared in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/txp-441/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(653) : eval()'d code:66) in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/txp-441/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(653) : eval()'d code on line 66

I know both themes have variables… is this a possible bug? Or just something I have done incorrectly at some stage in the import – like clear all previous settings?

#35 2011-08-02 04:36:28

stephan
Plugin Author
Website

The thing is, that you cannot have the plugin yoko_theme_variables active at the same time as any other “flavor” of adi_variables. So if the tumble blog theme also uses a variables plugin, please deactivate the other plugins before starting the import using cxc_templates.

#36 2011-08-02 05:41:37

tye
Website

Thanks stephan – that was the problem :)

Loving the template btw :)

One more thing using cxc_templates though – if you delete a template, it doesn’t seem to remove the old template?

Is that correct or again am I doing something wrong?

Board footer