Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-08-23 14:00:13

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Plus/minus signs in expandable side menus [3373]

maverick wrote:

the +/- is much more a windows convention.

Shhhhhh… you’ve just exposed Stuart as a Windows guy :-)

After one minute in photoshop with a copy of Remora’s expandcollapse.gif I made plus-minus as arrows. I dunno if it’s as pretty as it could be or if the axis of twistiness is quite right — I’m sure interface gurus will tell me — but if you drop that in your textpattern/theme/classic folder it’ll give instant arrow-based gratification from which better efforts can spawn.

If the arrows make more sense I’m sure someone with a good eye for graphics could make a gif we could include instead of the plus/minus. And perhaps with a more semantic filename! Any takers?

datorhaexa wrote:

Whatever it is, I’d stick a class so that theme designers could disable it or change it.

It’s already part of a rule in classic’s textpattern.css. If you don’t like it, make a theme without it. smd_admin_themes can help.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#26 2010-08-23 14:15:23

datorhaexa
Website

Bloke wrote:

It’s already part of a rule in classic’s textpattern.css. If you don’t like it, make a theme without it. smd_admin_themes can help.

I’m glad this will remain so. As for making a theme, I already did at least once :)

#27 2010-08-23 16:46:39

maverick
Website

Bloke

You go above and beyond everyday! Totally unexpected :)

Thanks

Mike

#28 2010-08-23 16:49:27

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote:

Shhhhhh… you’ve just exposed Stuart as a Windows guy :-)

oops! sorry Stuart.

(cough) I’m sure there a Windows Anonymous for that (cough)

I’m just saying ;-P

#29 2010-08-23 22:06:55

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Ha haa. Actually I’m an XP and Ubuntu guy. Both at the same time. I’d love a Mac if someone wants to send me one. At £1200, that’s pounds not dollars, I find them a tad expensive when I can kit myself out for around £350. But please, a 24”, not one of those piffling laptop thingymajigs. I like big monitors and big speakers, none of this fold-up stuff.

In any case there’s nothing wrong with XP sp3 and I’m proud to be a user, plus I’m loving my 24” wide-screen HD monitor and this rather solid speaker system. You don’t have to own a Mac to own the best you know. ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#30 2010-08-23 22:36:31

maverick
Website

Youch – £1200; They are beauties, but that’s a killer price spread. Sorry I can drop one in the mail to you ;)

From the little bit I’ve seen, I actually find XP and Win7 to be not so bad :D

But I’m an old dog I guess. I’ll stick with Apple for a bit longer :)

#31 2010-08-23 22:53:03

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ve only had a little play with 7, setting up my sister’s laptop (yuk), but it seems solid enough. Thank heavens they replaced Vista. That’s actually the reason I’m still on XP but I’m in no big rush to jump. What I do know is that both XP and 7 take a heck of a lot longer to boot and shut down than Ubuntu. Boy does it fly!

Anyway, after that short intermission, let us return you to the subject of this thread. ;)

So are we running with the new “arrows” then Stef? For myself I don’t mind which we use but I wasn’t aware that the +/- and rotating arrow was a Win v. Mac thing. Of course, if that is the case, then we ought to stick with the +/- as apparently it is more widely recognised.

Plus I don’t see why the minority Mac users should always come out on top, at least not until someone has sent me one.

I’ll go away now whilst you fight amongst yourselves. ;)

Last edited by thebombsite (2010-08-23 23:02:34)

Stuart

#32 2010-08-23 23:21:58

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

thebombsite wrote:

So are we running with the new “arrows” then Stef?

Can do, I don’t mind. I’m used to Windows (for my sins) so the plus-minus thing didn’t even register as a problem. But thinking about it in a new light, perhaps the twisty arrow is more Internationally recognised than merely a Mac-vs-Win thing? If that’s the case I’d prefer the arrows if someone can do them justice in the graphics department instead of using my one-minute fiddling in Photoshop.

OT: if anyone does find a spare MacBook Pro lying around I’ll be a welcome donor :-) I’ve seen it running OSX with a bunch of terminals in one switchable window thing (don’t know the Mac term for it), Firefox in another, Final Cut in another, and some video conversion software inside Windoze 7 in another virtual window. Totally seamless workflow and it appeared to run Win7 smoother than on a PC. But maybe my perception was altered by my jaw dropping to the floor.

It did get bastard hot though (the Mac, not my jaw).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#33 2010-08-24 10:30:31

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well I think your images are fine. I’m not sure you can do much more than build them up a pixel at a time. They stay fairly sharp for 2 or 3 enlargement steps after which you start to see the jagged edges but you will get that anyway methinks.

Stuart

#34 2010-08-25 04:18:58

Natalya

What’s the reason why the arrow graphics from Remora won’t fit as-is?

#35 2010-08-25 06:02:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Natalya wrote:

What’s the reason why the arrow graphics from Remora won’t fit as-is?

The graphic is too ‘short’ — not enough whitespace between the expanded and collapsed states so if you have multi-line items you see both states simultaneously.

Board footer