Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2010-11-15 13:25:31

aswihart
Website

Re: bot_image_upload: upload, sort, edit, show images in ‘write' tab

BUMP

A multi-upload, multi-thumbnail display from the Write tab would be a real game changer for article image management in Textpattern, and if it isn’t in the works for part of the core program, please redbot, consider adding it to your plugin. I would be happy to pay tribute.

Your plugin shows great promise, but for me, the current ability to upload and display one image per article is just not that useful, although it does provide some nice eye-candy for the back end.

Last edited by aswihart (2010-11-15 13:44:54)

#38 2010-11-15 16:54:50

redbot
Plugin Author

jens31 wrote:

…in fact i landed here because i want to show all (like 50..) article images in the write tab..

aswihart:

… A multi-upload, multi-thumbnail display from the Write tab would be a real game changer for article image management in Textpattern….

Ok then. You have got to help me now ;-)
Given that an article can have one image or 100 images, could you tell me how would you manage them from a visual perspective?

I suppose if there are 100 images you’ll need to show very little thumbnails, otherwise if there is only one (or two, ore three?) image/s you’ll need a bigger thumbnail. How would you deal with it? Or – Just thinking aloud – probably this problem would be overcome by moving the article-image thumbnail/s altogether in the central column, say after the “body” field.

Any suggestions? What do you say?

P.S.
As for multiple upload you can use jbx_multiple_image_upload. By default it is hidden from bot_img but it can be shown with a minimal mod, just ask me in case

#39 2010-11-15 17:01:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

redbot wrote:

Given that an article can have one image or 100 images, could you tell me how would you manage them from a visual perspective?

fwiw, this is precisely why we have never (and likely won’t) offer this sort of thing in the core by default: the number of options and potential variations in user input, configuration, desires, etc would mean that someone is always unsatisfied. From the core’s perspective it is far better to offer the lowest common denominator (a textbox for a single image to be attached by ID) and then let plugins customise it from there to suit the individual application.

Sorry to hijack your thread redbot; I feel your pain as I’ve not yet reconciled how to do it best from the myriad options available without tying myself in coding knots trying to suit everyone! Hope you can figure something out, though.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-11-15 17:02:46)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#40 2010-11-15 17:07:29

redbot
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

…Sorry to hijack your thread redbot; I feel your pain as I’ve not yet reconciled how to do it best from the myriad options available without tying myself in coding knots trying to suit everyone! Hope you can figure something out, though.

Hi Bloke,
thank you for these words, I really appreciate your solidariety ;-)

#41 2010-11-15 17:19:33

maruchan
Website

I can tell you what I’d be happy to put in front of my clients: Show the first few images with a “See all…” link underneath that opens a window or dialog with the full display. If you’ve used Facebook before, they do this with lists of friends.

the number of options and potential variations in user input, configuration, desires, etc would mean that someone is always unsatisfied

True, but IMO companies like the aforementioned Facebook are effectively establishing standards for this stuff now, which puts us into “safe bet” or maybe even “most people prefer it to an input field” territory.

(But of course, redbot is top notch so I’m happy to see him working on it in a plugin. :-))

#42 2010-11-15 17:25:43

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

redbot wrote:

aiiight, then!

for me, i think its a good point to move the whole block below body / excerpt. then you have 500px instead of 160 and are able to show like 5 next to each other and let them just go as far as needed.

i for myself dont need too many options for that feature. simply use the thumbnails so everyone can choose by himself how big these should be. give the img-tag the title attribute with the id and i guess that would be all thats needed.

and for the multi upload (just suggesting, dont need that feature): insert a radio button, for the case that a user wants to use both plug-ins..?

and i do have another idea, but dont get me wrong, i dont need that feature. i guess some clients would love it:
if those imgs were dragable the users could rearange them by drag-n-drop.

plus i agree with bloke, i dont want to make too many whishes.
and im no porgrammer (like you), but maybe i could help with a little bit of jquery. no don here eather, but workin myself through..

#43 2010-11-15 17:45:36

redbot
Plugin Author

maruchan wrote:

…If you’ve used Facebook before, they do this with lists of friends.

Ok you caught me. I hate don’t like facebook and I never really used it. I suppose I’ll have to borrow some friends account now

(But of course, redbot is top notch so I’m happy to see him working on it in a plugin. :-))

Top notch? Ah ah.. funny ;-)

jens31 wrote:

…and for the multi upload (just suggesting, dont need that feature): insert a radio button, for the case that a user wants to use both plug-ins..?

Yes, this can be done, but is more likely an option in the plugins code, I doubt I’ll ever build an interface for this plugin

i guess some clients would love it: if those imgs were dragable the users could rearange them by drag-n-drop.

Sorry, I feel this is very unlikely to happen

…and im no porgrammer (like you),

Eh, you are right I’m really no programmer (like you) – but thaks you anyway for the offer to help ;-)

Last edited by redbot (2010-11-15 17:46:27)

#44 2010-11-15 18:08:50

aswihart
Website

redbot wrote:

I suppose if there are 100 images you’ll need to show very little thumbnails, otherwise if there is only one (or two, ore three?) image/s you’ll need a bigger thumbnail. How would you deal with it? Or – Just thinking aloud – probably this problem would be overcome by moving the article-image thumbnail/s altogether in the central column, say after the “body” field.

What about just floating the image thumbnails? They will wrap around whatever width your column is, and that could of course be controlled with bot_wtc (people who are typically using a ton of images could put it in the center column). Optionally, make the thumbnail display area collapsible. Does that seem like it might work?

A cool feature that might help deal with a huge number of thumbnails would be to use different CSS conditionally on the images based on the total number of article images, so if you had greater than 20 images, it would change the width from 75px to 50px or something.

Potentially giving the user control of the image number thresholds and image sizes would be great.
The control parameters might look something like this:

column width = 600
display 5 images per row for equal to or less than 15 images
display 10 images per row for greater than 15 images
display 20 images per row for greater than 50 images
add more

Last edited by aswihart (2010-11-15 18:33:26)

#45 2010-11-15 18:48:50

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

maruchan wrote:

If you’ve used Facebook before, they do this with lists of friends.

OT: Yes, and imo Facebook’s UX is bloody awful! Just ‘cos it’s popular doesn’t make it right :-)

I’m not qualified to say how it should be done; merely leave it to others to do it properly!

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#46 2010-11-15 21:47:43

redbot
Plugin Author

aswihart wrote:

…What about just floating the image thumbnails? They will wrap around whatever width your column is, and that could of course be controlled with bot_wtc (people who are typically using a ton of images could put it in the center column). Optionally, make the thumbnail display area collapsible. Does that seem like it might work?

Hmm… that’s exactly the direction I was considering but I must admit your explanation helped to make the concept clearer in my mind, thanks!
Of course I think this won’t satisfy everyone but probably it’s the best compromise

…A cool feature that might help deal with a huge number of thumbnails would be to use different CSS conditionally on the images based on the total number of article images, so if you had greater than 20 images, it would change the width from 75px to 50px or something.

That’s interesting but will require more work. I’ll consider it.

…Potentially giving the user control of the image number thresholds and image sizes would be great.
The control parameters might look something like this:
column width = 600
display 5 images per row for equal to or less than 15 images
display 10 images per row for greater than 15 images
display 20 images per row for greater than 50 images
add more

That’s interesting too but it will require a lot more work. Maybe I’ll consider it in a remote future.
Maybe.

Ok, having said all this I still have to find some free (and peaceful) time. I hope this will happen relatively soon but I can make no promises.
Thank you all for the ideas

#47 2010-12-08 00:54:23

redbot
Plugin Author

Ok,
here is a quick fix for txp 4.3 compatibility:
Go to admin > plugins > bot_image_upload > edit
Copy the plugins code, paste it in a text editor then do a serch/replace:
Change all occurrencies of this:

form[name=article]

In this:

#article_container

Once done copy/paste the new code back, save and you are done until I release an update.

#48 2010-12-09 11:31:31

ibob

Ty redbot, it’s working well now!

Board footer