Re: Running TextPattern on nginx

minusf wrote:

any devs reading this? i think it’s high time teaching
txp_diag.php about other webservers, apache hasn’t been
the only gig in town for years now. no self-respecting
c10k web server comes without basic stuff like url rewriting
these days. though i am not a fan of cherokee/lighty,
i am sure txp runs on them just fine.

I’m evaluating txp and one of the considerations is also support for non-Apache servers. In my case, I use Hiawatha which is very secure, easy-to-configure and light on memory.

Since we have to run several sites under our hosting which is something like webfaction, iow. in between shared hosting & VPS, we’re concerned to save on memory wherever it is possible which clearly eliminates Apache.

When discussing some problems I did encounter when running Tiki CMS under Hiawatha web server which runs behind nginx working as reverse-proxy, the author of Hiawatha suggested the following:

“…transfer the routing business logic to where it should be: inside your application and away from the webserver’s configuration.”

(Here is the whole thread.)

iow. to make Tiki rewriting rules server-agnostic and make it SEO-friendly for non-Apache servers-

What do you think about this idea in regard to Textpattern?

#14 2013-01-19 10:07:40

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

gour wrote:

What do you think about this idea in regard to Textpattern?

Textpattern already does just that. The page routing logic can work with any server system as long you can direct requests to index.php. Apache or mod_rewrite aren’t used for anything more than that and the routing is system agnostic, handled on the applications end.

#15 2013-01-19 10:38:41

gour

Gocom wrote:

Textpattern already does just that. The page routing logic can work with any server system as long you can direct requests to index.php. Apache or mod_rewrite aren’t used for anything more than that and the routing is system agnostic, handled on the applications end.

This sounds great. Does it mean one just needs to rewrite (small) htaccess and that’s it?

#16 2013-01-19 10:56:08

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

gour wrote:

Does it mean one just needs to rewrite (small) htaccess and that’s it?

In theory yes, in the limits of the other web server of course. Apache’s mod_rewrite is used just for this.

#17 2013-01-19 12:43:06

gour

Gocom wrote:

In theory yes, in the limits of the other web server of course. Apache’s mod_rewrite is used just for this.

Great. I’ll try to make it for Hiawatha server and contribute back.

Board footer