Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2011-09-29 21:52:52

uli

Re: Textpattern.org v3.0 project

Gerrit van Aken, a well known German web designer with a huge followership, recently posted (praegnanz.de/weblog/aktuelle-cms-stimmungslage) he’d almost completely turned his back on TXP because there hadn’t been larger progress in the TXP project since 2005.

My first thought was, already in 2008 (new parser, variable/if_variable tags) he didn’t follow the project any longer but that rather underlines the following argument.

My second thought was he didn’t have enough time to look after and for those lots of plugins that have been released since and that do fill many gaps he seems to perceive. With its lean core, TXP heavily(!) depends on plugins if it shall serve the increasing demands of the web. But they are there, they just need to be known more widely and accessed more quickly.

Enter TXP Resources v3 as a central hub for plugins.

Why not reveal in advance which tags and attributes/values a plugin offers, right on the central repository for plugins, in order to offer better decision support? Why not reveal even plugin code for those who can judge the quality of a plugin by browsing its code?

I can’t count the times I was sick and tired of having to install each and every plugin just in order to be able to read if I can use it, if I get the tools together to get the job done. I’m just talking about the quotation stage, not even the real jobs.

Think of tagging: there are tru_tags, smd_tags, cbe_tags and even rss_uc is used for tagging. Do all of them offer image tagging? If not: which one does so?

Think of counter plugins (I have 10 of them on my HD): what are they made for, which tables do they have access to, do they write or can they only read?

Having more plugin information at hand would make our lives easier, no doubt. And would help gathering a larger followership behind TXP instead of migrating along WP-wards with Mr van Aken.

Edited to add: I wouldn’t have written down all this if Stefs post had been there when I began writing.

Last edited by uli (2011-09-30 00:06:36)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#38 2011-09-29 22:06:47

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

uli wrote:

cbe_tags…

[OT] more tag competition? I’d better step up my game and get mine working better ;-)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#39 2011-09-29 22:19:38

uli

Bloke wrote:

[OT] more tag competition?

Oh right, cbe_keywords was the name, but it is tagged “tags” on TXP Ressources

Maybe another use case for improving the ressources page selectively. What does this plugin, does it really belong in my list? Can’t find out without installing it.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#40 2011-09-29 22:29:53

uli

Stef, finally finding the time ;) to thank you for clarifying what TXP Ressources will do. Thanks as well for all the efforts and time you’re putting into it! I’m excited what TXP Res will be, and really looking forward.

Bloke wrote:

A link to a forum post that highlights […] some important info that would otherwise be buried
[…] Any other thoughts please share them.

Only just yesterday I thought about bolting on some task -> solution repository with a wiki approach.

Edited for correct Textile

Last edited by uli (2011-09-29 22:30:55)

Board footer