Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#181 2011-03-09 16:55:35

nabrown78
Website

Re: bot_write_tab_customize: rearrange and style items in the write tab

redbot wrote:

Meanwhile you can easily do it yourself installing some firefox add-on such as the “Web Developer Toolbar” or “Firebug” or “Css viewer” or another of the thousands available.

This is such a great plugin. I wanted to recommend CSSEdit for helping with the CSS customization of the TXP backend along with this plugin. It has an inspector where you can easily see the ID’s classes of an element and all its ancestors. Also, you can make changes to your CSS locally, which are instantly reflected in the “Live Preview” of your TXP admin (or any other site for that matter) and then you can upload the CSS when you’re satisfied.

#182 2011-03-10 01:21:56

redbot
Plugin Author

nabrown78 wrote:

…This is such a great plugin. I wanted to recommend CSSEdit for helping with the CSS customization of the TXP backend along with this plugin. It has an inspector where you can easily see the ID’s classes of an element and all its ancestors. Also, you can make changes to your CSS locally, which are instantly reflected in the “Live Preview” of your TXP admin (or any other site for that matter) and then you can upload the CSS when you’re satisfied.

Thank you Nora! I fear your suggestion will be useful only for mac users though. For all the others I still reccomend firebug or/and the Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox.

#183 2011-03-10 03:49:35

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Safari also has a very useful Inspector that’s part of its integrated web developer toolset, and Safari isn’t just for Mac users these days.

#184 2011-03-22 15:15:05

maniqui
Website

Hi redbot.
I’m having an issue with the plugin, and I’m not sure where to start debugging.

On my local environment, when I try to apply some changes to bot_wtc rules (on bot_wtc tab) by hitting any of the “Update” buttons, I got redirected to the “Write” tab.
Weird thing is that on a remote deployment for the very same site, the plugin works fine.

Well… wait a minute… let’s try something quickie.
Let’s uninstall the plugin (just triggering the database cleaning step) and re-installing the tables again.

OK, it seems that worked! Of course, I’ve lost all bot_wtc customizations. I’ll dump the remote DB again and see if I can reproduce the problem.

I post this just in case someone is having the same issue.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#185 2011-03-22 16:20:10

redbot
Plugin Author

maniqui wrote:

…OK, it seems that worked! Of course, I’ve lost all bot_wtc customizations. I’ll dump the remote DB again and see if I can reproduce the problem…

Phew! I’m so glad you solved it by yourself Juliàn. You know, spring is approaching and I’m really not in the mood for bug hunting these days ;-)
Anyway is it something similar to this? This is a bug I never managed to solve or even reproduce.

Last edited by redbot (2011-03-22 16:21:40)

#186 2011-03-22 16:49:19

maniqui
Website

Hi redbot.

I still can reproduce the issue on my local host: I export the bot_wtc table from the remote server, dump it on local DB, and the issue comes back. And yes, its symptoms are similar, if not exactly the same, to what mrdale reported.

I’ve been trying to isolate the causes, but no luck yet.
A first guess is that it’s related to the amount/size of data being sent by bot_wtc form, could that be a place to start debugging?
Or maybe some issue when serializing the data, if that’s what bot_wtc is doing behind the curtains… I don’t know.

The fact that bot_wtc works on remote server (which has the same info on bot_wtc table) makes me think that this may be related to some obscure config on my local server, something related to the amount/size of data that can be posted to Apache/MySQL/PHP/TXP/bot_wtc…

What do you think? May I send you the dump for bot_wtc table?

#187 2011-03-22 17:30:13

redbot
Plugin Author

maniqui wrote:

…A first guess is that it’s related to the amount/size of data being sent by bot_wtc form

Hi again,
This is what I thought at the time but I found no evidence this could be the cause

The fact that bot_wtc works on remote server (which has the same info on bot_wtc table) makes me think that this may be related to some obscure config on my local server, something related to the amount/size of data that can be posted to Apache/MySQL/PHP/TXP/bot_wtc…
What do you think?

Currently It’s the end of a busy working day and I think nothing. I’m virtually dead ;-)

May I send you the dump for bot_wtc table?

Yes please, I hope I can have a look in the next few days.

#188 2011-03-22 18:22:10

maniqui
Website

Fixed!
Uffff, this one made me sweat a little…

As said, I thought this was related to some kind of POST size limit, but after trying the usual suggestion (raising values for memory_limit, post_max_size, upload_file_max_size) with no luck, I was about to quit fighting.
But then, I found this message.
It seems that if you have Suhosing module (some security-related module for PHP which I didn’t know it was installed), you have to edit the corresponding config file (on my system, it was located in /etc/php5/conf.d/suhosin.ini) to raise the corresponding values.
I’ve set them to:

php_value suhosin.request.max_vars 2048
php_value suhosin.post.max_vars 2048

And then, all was good: I was able to post large bot_wtc forms :)

#189 2011-03-22 21:48:58

redbot
Plugin Author

maniqui wrote:

Fixed!
Uffff, this one made me sweat a little…

Great Maniqui!!
I bet I would never be able to discover it. Thank you!
(I’ll put this in the help for the next release).

Mrdale
I doubt you are still following this thread but in case you can try if this fix works for you.

And now a little self celebration: my “customer service” kicks ass!
All in all the solution to this issue took only one year and two months and wasn’t even found by me! Wooo

P.S. Thanks again Juliàn

Last edited by redbot (2011-03-24 19:26:11)

#190 2011-04-25 20:25:03

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I’m having a problem I don’t know how to troubleshoot. bot_wtc doesn’t seem to be loading at all on the write tab of one site. It was working fine back in January, and since then then only thing (to my knowledge) that has changed is that the site’s TXP install was upgraded from 4.3.0 to 4.4.0.

The site uses both glz_cf (v1.2.4) and bot_cf_titles. The majority of custom fields pertain only to one section, and until recently bot_wtc was hiding all the irrelevant custom fields in all other sections. Now, all custom fields are showing in all sections.

Until today, it was using bot_wtc v0.6.3, but I upgraded to v0.7 to see if that would resolve the issue, but that doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Edit: Just wanted to add this— “Help!” ;)

Last edited by johnstephens (2011-04-25 20:41:23)

#191 2011-04-25 22:35:18

redbot
Plugin Author

johnstephens wrote:

I’m having a problem I don’t know how to troubleshoot…

Ok John stop the panic.
Are you experiencing this only in firefox 4?
Are you using firebug?
If so it’s only a compatibilitity issue between ff4 and firebug. It has nothing to do with Textpattern.
To fix it just open firebug, go in the ‘Console’ panel and switch off the “Show XMLHttpRequests” option.

P.S. Thank you to bring it to my attention.

#192 2011-04-25 22:55:31

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks, Red! I’m not actually panic-stricken, just not sure where to begin.

redbot wrote:

Are you experiencing this only in firefox 4?

I have not looked at it in any version of Firefox yet. I’m getting the same results in Safari (v5.0.4), Opera (v11.10), and Chrome (10.0.648.205). It seems like something is impeding bot_wtc from loading on the Write tab. Can I look for something in the HTML source to verify that bot_wtc is active in the Write tab?

Board footer