Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2009-10-01 17:11:52

RedFox
Website

Re: bot_admin_tooltips

redbot wrote:

edit: actually – while you can change the look of the anchor as you like – you can’t change the anchor into some other characters if not modifyng the plugins code (just a line). If you really need it ask me and I’ll tell you how.

Please do … :)

#38 2009-10-01 19:22:52

redbot
Plugin Author

RedFox wrote:

Please do … :)

Ok. Go to plugins tab > bot_admin_tooltips > edit.
Search for  [ ? ]  and replace with whatever you want (the   is the html entity for blank space, I used it because of ie not displaying normal spaces).

Last edited by redbot (2009-10-01 19:23:26)

#39 2009-10-01 19:37:52

masa

No problems here so far on an 4.0.8 install (without glz_custom_fields).

I was wondering though, whether it’s technically possible to extend the hover-sensitive area to include the label text, so users wouldn’t have to point exactly at the [?].

#40 2009-10-01 19:52:58

RedFox
Website

redbot wrote:

Ok. Go to plugins tab > bot_admin_tooltips > edit.
Search for  [ ? ]  and replace with whatever you want

:)

Last edited by RedFox (2009-10-01 19:55:32)

#41 2009-10-01 21:50:18

redbot
Plugin Author

masa wrote:

I was wondering though, whether it’s technically possible to extend the hover-sensitive area to include the label text, so users wouldn’t have to point exactly at the [?].

Yes. Not only it is technically possible but it’s actually easier and my “beta” versions worked this way.
I’ve come to think, though, that my solution is better because:

1. After a while it’s not so funny for a real user to see all this tooltips (which – at a certan point – they have presumably memorized) jumping around every time you move the mouse.
  2. I needed to be able to put links in tooltips so I couldn’t use the “hover” event but only the “click” event. This implies – given that I’m gonna use an image replacement technique to create a button – that the “sensible” area should coincide with the button image.
    To tell the truth, I’m all in favour of buttons and “click” events as opposed to hovers, at least in this scenario. It’s subtler and serves better the pourpose I think.

edit: But you asked to expand only the hover (while maintaining the existing area for clicks). Sorry, I don’t think I’ll do it because this would imply adding more complexity to the code and the plugin to be a pain to mantain.

Last edited by redbot (2009-10-01 22:05:30)

#42 2009-10-01 22:03:32

masa

redbot wrote:

To tell the truth, I’m all in favour of buttons and “click” events as opposed to hovers, at least in this scenario. It’s subtler and serves better the pourpose I think.

I can now see your point – after a while the automatic hover pop-ups could indeed become annoying.

#43 2009-10-02 12:46:00

gomedia
Plugin Author

redbot wrote:

This plugin allows to add fancy tooltips to the admin interface …

This is something I’ve been working on for some time to implement in adi_notes but it seems that you’ve beaten me to it.

And thank goodness! I’ve mucked around with various methods, but have never been satisfied and you’ve done a much better job on it anyway.

Thanks, it’s a blessed release!

#44 2009-10-02 12:53:55

FireFusion

redbot wrote:

FireFusion wrote:

I’m getting very random behavior from the different tabs. Some have no tooltips, other have some and in this case both

Hi,
Can you give more details? Maybe this has to do with the repeated jquery outlined by maniqui.
Which other plugins are you using?

On the local site just this and glz_custom_fields.

On the remote site the following…

ebl-image-edit
cnk_versioning
jbx_multiple_image_upload
rah_external_output
rah_sitemap
rvm_privileged
smd_calendar
smd_lib
smd_gallery
zem_nth
hak_tinymce
rvm_css
adi_gps
lam_browse_by
stm_article_order
glz_custom_fields

Does the site with hak_tinymce have the “Show editor toggle” option set to “yes”?

Yes but with or without is the same

When you are experiencing the problem shown in the picture I presume you have the “hide pophelps” option set to “yes” otherwise this is the correct behavior.

“Hide txp pophelps” is ticked

#45 2009-10-02 12:56:29

uli

uli wrote:

Why isn’t that invented since ages?

gomedia wrote:

This is something I’ve been working on for some time to implement in adi_notes

Adi in adi_notes. I could have guessed :) Thanks for the efforts!

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#46 2009-10-02 13:31:35

redbot
Plugin Author

gomedia wrote:

And thank goodness! I’ve mucked around with various methods, but have never been satisfied and you’ve done a much better job on it anyway.
Thanks, it’s a blessed release!

Hey thank you. Glad you find it useful

All

Yesterday I took some time to look at the code.
There are actually some things that need to be fixed and I’ll try to do it as soon as I can (unfortunately not in the next few days).
These errors were caused by some “feature” I decided to add at last moment without running adequate testing (my bad).

Thank you all again for the help!

#47 2009-10-08 23:18:51

redbot
Plugin Author

Ok, version 0.2 is out.
There were some errors and some inattentions which have been fixed.
I’m rather pessimistic about it but I hope this solves also the problems with firefox 3.5 on Macs.

Changes:
  • fixed this bug (tooltips not working in “users” tab)
  • Fixed repeated js call outlinead here
  • had to remove “categories>title” item because its jquery targeting was conflicting with other items in the same tab
  • added another submit button as per this request
  • Some other minor fixes

Any help in testing is appreciated
Download v. 0.2

Edit: Oops! Sorry, for the first 5 minutes I have uploaded the wrong files. Please try again now

Last edited by redbot (2009-10-08 23:44:16)

#48 2009-10-09 00:12:13

uli

Thanks for taking care of the issues, redbot!

To put the settings on top of the prefs page was a great idea, as well as adding a second Save button. The page tends to become longer …

After quickly glancing at each supported tab everything seems to work fine. :)
I’m especially grateful that for the Users tab there’s a possibility to illuminate the difference between login and user name.

Will have to test why one glz_cf doesn’t show up in the Write tab, maybe I renamed it or redefined its use.

Thanks again.

Last edited by uli (2009-10-09 11:10:32)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer