Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2006-10-23 16:40:49

spchampion
Archived Plugin Author

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] spc_section_alias - Section renaming and management plugin.

it’s never easy with TXP

That’s one of the reasons I don’t hang around here so much anymore…

#98 2007-02-03 08:25:11

azw

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] spc_section_alias - Section renaming and management plugin.

Hey, SPChampion. What are you using now instead of TextPattern? I’m still up in the air about what to use. I really need something that can handle sections easily for a organization’s news and forum site. Your plug-in could help, but it’s discouraging to think that it may be damaged by future upgrades to Txp.

Last edited by azw (2007-02-03 08:26:06)

#99 2007-02-17 20:44:55

spchampion
Archived Plugin Author

Hi azw, I’m still using Textpattern at the moment but I need to make an upgrade to something else pretty quick. I only recently became aware of the security hole in g1.19, but a few of the plugins I use do not work with 4.0.4. Specifically, no new version exists for akw_date_aware and there are no suitable replacements for it in any form.

Seeing as how I’m going to have to redesign my site completely to get away from akw_date_aware, I’m more or less going to have to start over with Textpattern. That means that I’m not really bound to it and can consider other packages.

Sadly, I think my current issue with Textpattern is true for all blogging software: an over reliance on plugins. I’m stuck with g1.19 now and forever because of plugin hell, so that’s it for that. I’m not sure how to avoid the use of plugins, but in all honesty I think there’s something to be said for designing open source software communities in a way that encourages patching instead of plugins.

I liked TXP back in the day and I still consider it the coolest light weight CMS available. I love the section approach, and while I’ve disagreed with some of the decisions made recently about configuration files (I think some of the admin configuration options really do belong in a flat text file and not in the database), I still like the nature of the tool. I just wish the plugin situation was more straightforward, and I fear that the depth of plugin hell with TXP was made much much worse with the creation of admin plugins and by encouraging people to write hot patches for key library files as opposed to just patching the source itself. All of these things make me fear, as a blogging software user, that Textpattern’s future development is not scalable.

#100 2008-09-01 10:46:39

danieljacoby

I get the following error, even though there is a section_prefix form:

Tag error: <txp:output_form form=“section_prefix” /> -> Textpattern Notice: Form not found: “section_prefix” on line 1437

What can I be doing wrong?

Board footer