Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2009-05-29 06:31:34

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Full page caching in TXP core

artagesw wrote:

OK, so now the issue of interactive pages creeps back in. If the public domain is pointing at the static site, and we have configured wget to ignore certain interactive pages (forms and such), then how does the user reach those pages? Mod-rewrite on a per-URL basis?

Mod-rewrite on a per-URL basis sounds about right, if a user tries to access mysite.com/contact, then the dynamic site is used, wget would be denied access to the contact form.

We keep throwing ideas back and forth, and I’d like to apologize to Markus for continuing this hypothetical wget based full page caching mechanism idea afloat.

#26 2009-05-29 07:12:33

artagesw
Website

Yeah, didn’t mean to hijack his thread. But I think we’re developing some useful ideas here that he or someone else may be able to put to good use. :)

#27 2009-05-29 14:34:00

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

artagesw wrote:

Yeah, didn’t mean to hijack his thread. But I think we’re developing some useful ideas here that he or someone else may be able to put to good use. :)

Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines. Whatever full page mechanism is put in place, it will have to deal with similar issues. I haven’t had the time but when I get a break, I’m going to play around with wget against one of my Textpattern sites.

#28 2009-05-29 22:43:41

merz1
Website

Guys, as much as I adore your creative super powers regarding the creation of an FTP driven website hijacker but could you please (PLEASE) create your own playground.

PS: Pssssst, there are many existing solutions out there … online and offline software … but may I suggest you throw a discrete look at some web 0.1 directory like Yahoo?

Edit: The dilemma of disconnection

I admit you made a valid point: If interactive pages are cached as static HTML files to a cache directory and some insane soul would like to use those static files during a maintenance breakthen we have the dilemma of disconnected pages, forms, AJAX, etc.

How can TXP solve this situation?

Some little ‘code injection’ which checks for connectivity and throws a message if the site is in ‘static maintenance mode’?

Last edited by merz1 (2009-05-29 22:52:04)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#29 2009-07-23 12:54:26

merz1
Website

Alternative / Inspiration / Workaround

As the web-optimizator offers auto-updates wouldn’t an optional integration into Textpattern core be good? What do the devs say?

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#30 2009-07-23 15:24:11

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

No.

#31 2009-07-24 03:29:55

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

A new full page cache (or also a partial page cache) solution/concept (via plug-in or not) should at least implement that users don’t have to edit core files like the main index.php. This seems to be the biggest burden for asy_jpcache for new TXP installations or after TXP updates. A 2nd benefit would be that diagnosis doesn’t throw a ‘changed file’ warning.

If I could deploy asy_jpcache without hacking any files from the TXP core, I’d deploy it on every site. It has improved the performance of my site immensely, but I don’t like hacking the Textpattern installations I deploy for clients— I don’t want to introduce any barriers to upgrading.

If we could get a plugin that would do what asy_jpcache + aam_zcr_clearcache does without hacking TXP, that would be all I need.

Board footer