Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2013-10-04 06:29:10

jacques
Website

Re: Best Host hosting companies

Something needs to be fixed with the styesheets here.

However that said, I had to manually use google cache years ago when Hetzner royally screwed up and they did not have backups that they claimed they had. Moral of the story is to always have backups of your own stuff.

#38 2013-10-04 07:44:48

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

jacques wrote:

However that said, I had to manually use google cache years ago when Hetzner royally screwed up and they did not have backups that they claimed they had. Moral of the story is to always have backups of your own stuff.

I do every month or so but some people just don’t have the expertise or confidence.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#39 2013-11-04 08:48:52

jacques
Website

I have been working on various things to improve backups for users (I most likely need to still write some code to check that users rsyncs offsite are working etc, that you can restore database dumps, etc.).

The problem is that users expect that their webhosts are backing things up, but most webhosts have been silently dropping the responsibility of backing up users data onto the users themselves (i.e. Joyent who backed up their FreeBSD servers for their Shared Hosting product and dropped backups for users who were on Shared SmartMachines and SmartMachines) and silently added a clause to that effect into their Terms of Service.

We most likely need to see something like travis ci for backups where users can be sure that their backups can restore properly and that their backups are being dumped fine and synced offsite.

#40 2013-11-04 17:41:43

bici
Website Mastodon

I have no problem in manually performing my monthly backups of my Public folder and Database for each site. And i can recover and rsync back and reinstall. And I could as easily do it bi-montly were my sites updated on a daily basis. This makes me happy.

I have never managed to run a passwordless mysql db backup. For some reason this fails to execute.

…. texted postive

#41 2013-11-06 13:09:00

jacques
Website

bici wrote:

I have no problem in manually performing my monthly backups of my Public folder and Database for each site. And i can recover and rsync back and reinstall. And I could as easily do it bi-montly were my sites updated on a daily basis. This makes me happy.

I have never managed to run a passwordless mysql db backup. For some reason this fails to execute.

Private message me the account details again I’ll take a poke around.

#42 2013-11-06 22:50:24

bici
Website Mastodon

bici wrote:
bq. I have no problem in manually performing my monthly backups of my Public folder and Database for each site. And i can recover and rsync back and reinstall. And I could as easily do it bi-montly were my sites updated on a daily basis. This makes me happy.

jacques wrote:
Private message me the account details again I’ll take a poke around.

Well I take small comfort if you have also not been able to excute a passwordless backup.

I’ll ping you off forum, but don’t worry too much about it I am sure you have enough to keep you busy.

Last edited by bici (2013-11-06 22:51:00)

…. texted postive

#43 2014-02-16 19:57:34

lgpiper

bici wrote #275644:

I am very comfortably ensconced on Textdrive and don’t feel like there is any attempt to force us out. I love their second-to-none CP : Webmin. And I think their future is bright.

But i am wanting to find an alternative as i have come to realize that I shouldn’t have all my eggs in one basket.

Do you still feel that there is no attempt to force us out? ;-)

Spouse, pop, guy in the choir, physical chemist, computer/web dilettante, child care provider

#44 2014-02-16 19:58:58

lgpiper

bici wrote #275607:

And how does one install Textpattern on WebFaction?? after uploading the textpattern directory all it does is download the index.php file rather than install TxP.

So far not very impressed with their UI.. very confusing.

UPDATE. after a few hours i have managed to “grok” their system, TxP site installed.

So, do you have some quick hints so I don’t have to piss away a day figuring it out myself? That is getting TxP up and running on WebFaction.

Spouse, pop, guy in the choir, physical chemist, computer/web dilettante, child care provider

#45 2014-02-16 21:08:08

lgpiper

lgpiper wrote #278993:

So, do you have some quick hints so I don’t have to piss away a day figuring it out myself? That is getting TxP up and running on WebFaction.

Never mind. It was trivial, although the TxP instructions weren’t quite right. They said to create the DB first. By which I figured it would be ok to populate it with my back up as well. Nope. Just create a blank DB, let TxP populate with default stuff, then subsequently import my stuff into the DB.

#46 2014-02-16 23:39:07

JimJoe
Website

I use crosswinds.net for my paid account/domain and cwahi.net for my two freebie accounts. They recently updated their cadre help site: Crosswinds Cadre I tried to get textpattern on the cadre site, but since the majority of users at crosswinds use WordPress, that is what the new cadre site uses. They are hosted in Canada.

#47 2014-02-16 23:50:42

bici
Website Mastodon

lgpiper wrote #278993:

Was out riding my cycle today. now back to digital life.

What i did was create the websites/domains. Create the databases and give access to all db to my master account, then i create db Users that correspond to my existing DB on TxD. Move my public/ dir to new location. Import my DB changing the username and DB name if different. then I head over to my DNS and point it to new location. and within 10-20 mins new site works. Did this for EE and TxP sites. no failures or problems.

…. texted postive

#48 2014-02-16 23:52:07

bici
Website Mastodon

lgpiper wrote #278992:

Do you still feel that there is no attempt to force us out? ;-)

;-) I think i see a punting tees being setup.

…. texted postive

Board footer