Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-09-26 10:25:47

Si
Website

Re: TXP Tips site goes live!

That’s a great idea, Jonathan! Goes straight into my bookmarks.
Thanks!

#14 2008-09-26 14:59:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

No problems with me Jonathan though I’m still working on sorting out the forum here. ;)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#15 2008-09-26 16:15:49

maniqui
Website

Grat initiative!
I hope it get filled with clever tips and makes it easier for both newcomers and experts to find new ways of using Textpattern.

re: the design. I like it! Although… the code chunks are still a bit… mmm… difficult to read. Not sure if it’s the gray background (too dark, imho) or the different font size (different to the surrounding non-code text).

Talking about clever tips, there is a superb idea by a clever guy, but I think no one has tried it yet.
Maybe, its time has come, and you (Jonathan) could try to implement it on the backbones of TXP Tip.

Creating a lab section to manage classic ‘example.html’ pages

If it works, it could go also as a tip! :D
And if it works, TXP Tips may have some sort of blank canvas to create real examples for the listed tips.
In some cases (simple tips, not too many JS or TXP plugins involved) it could be easy. In other cases, it may be near impossible to create an example.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#16 2008-09-26 16:35:34

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

Ok – I’m going to sound like an impolite, manipulative jerk, which is close enough to the truth.

I think the code should be on a lighter background too, and a line-height of 1.75em is a bit much I think.
Also in my not so humble opinion: courier is the worst font ever. Every time it is used for more than 2 consecutive words it makes me scream like a little English schoolgirl who has a knot in her pigtails. Those who know me will agree it’s not a pretty sight. Courier is the devil’s font.

I do like the site though, really. I hope we can still be friends.

Last edited by JanDW (2008-09-26 16:39:10)

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#17 2008-09-26 18:57:29

masa

Well, I’m on a Mac so I get Monaco which is a great font to view source code. However here it’s huge (17px) and some lines run under the side column.

IMHO Monaco looks best at 9px and you might want to add Andale Mono for the Windows users.

#18 2008-09-26 19:21:02

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

sæll Martin :-)

this typeface is no longer distributed with modern versions of Microsoft Windows (from Windows ME onwards)

wikipedia

TXPDream – A Textpattern Tag Library for Adobe Dreamweaver. (updated for 4.2.0) | jdw_if_ajax – Only serve certain parts of a page when requested with AJAX

#19 2008-09-26 20:11:20

masa

JanDW wrote:

sæll Martin :-)

Blessaður Jan, where did you pick that up from? :-)

this typeface is no longer distributed with modern versions of Microsoft Windows (from Windows ME onwards)

OK, scrap that. What’s a decent alternative then?

Edit: looks like Consolas or Lucida Console are the current alternatives.

Regarding the discontinuation of Andale Mono and the other core web fonts…

Even though the fonts are legally available from SourceForge and other Web sites and are included with Mac OS, Håkon Wium Lie (CTO of Opera Software) cited the cancellation of the project as an example of Microsoft resisting interoperability.

Last edited by masa (2008-09-26 20:22:48)

#20 2008-09-26 20:30:07

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

masa wrote:

Blessaður Jan, where did you pick that up from? :-)

In my early twenties I lived in Iceland for a while: selfoss and in laugarás, near skáholt – working on farms.
How’s the putrefied shark this year? :-)

OK, scrap that. What’s a decent alternative then?

If it has to be a monospace font “lucida console” I suppose?

#21 2008-09-26 21:22:53

masa

JanDW wrote:

In my early twenties I lived in Iceland for a while: selfoss and in laugarás, near skáholt – working on farms.
How’s the putrefied shark this year? :-)

I see. Well, the Hákarl is as delicious/revolting as every year, ha, ha! (Whatever you think of it.)
Although I won’t know for certain until the Þorrablót festival in January/February. :-)

#22 2008-09-27 04:09:26

renobird
Website

jstubbs,

Thanks for being patient and welcoming all the comments. :)

Here’s a quick mockup of my 2 cents on displaying the tutorials – done in kind of a rush so please forgive any glaring errors.
Take it for what you will – it’s just a rough idea. :)

Fonts are a little larger than normal – IMO tutorials should be VERY easy to read and follow.

edit: doh! Just saw you made some more changes – gray background removed

Last edited by renobird (2008-09-27 04:10:19)

#23 2008-09-27 05:22:06

JanDW
Plugin Author
Website

renobird wrote:

Fonts are a little larger than normal – IMO tutorials should be VERY easy to read and follow.

Nice work – I agree but I never can decide wether easy-to-follow means larger font-size or overview.
I always like fonts that are legible at lower sizes so that you can fit more content into the viewport.
Merci beaucoup for bringing courier down the fontlist, monsieur Stubbs, I think it did just that.

Last edited by JanDW (2008-09-27 05:23:23)

#24 2008-09-27 11:38:24

jstubbs
Website

Hello again. I have now adjusted the CSS so that hopefully the code is easier to read. I don’t have Windows at home, so any feedback for IE would be helpful.

I should reiterate that this site was built in one day, so its still a work in progress. I won’t start adding content until the basic styles and functionality are in order.

Any comments are helpful – as are your own TXP Tips!

Board footer