coolness.

jdueck: Real Solutions for Real People :P

#14 2005-03-08 00:17:48

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: jad_metadata

> jdueck wrote:

> phiw13 – thanks for bringing that to my attention. I’ve updated the plugin to strip out HTML & php from the excerpt before it gets put into the meta description tag.

Wonderfull, works nicely in my first tests. Thanks you.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#15 2005-05-08 19:34:56

kevinpotts

I like this plugin a lot , but I do not think it is performing how it should. When it is NOT installed, I get nothing for meta. When it IS installed, the plugin parses the META like this:

<code>
<meta name=“description” content=“the excerpt of the article” />
<meta name=“keywords” content=“description i typed into custom1” />
<meta name=“description” content=“the excerpt of the article” />
<meta name=“keywords” content=“test, keywords, from, custom2” />
</code>

So it is displaying the same description twice and rendering two different sets of keywords. Any clues? I have not messed with admin_config.php or edited the plugin.

UPDATE: nevermind. While I never got the plugin to work, the latest versions of RC3 allow direct implementation of cutom field data. No plug in required.

Last edited by kevinpotts (2005-05-09 18:42:09)

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#16 2005-06-19 20:18:53

Website

I’m confused now ;)

I would love having custom metatags in my Textpattern. I’m using the latest version. I tried Kevin’s hack to add the tags but end up with my header at the bottom of the page. It turns everything upside down.

So … can I still use this? Will this plugin work for the newest version of textpattern?

Thanks!

Darla

#17 2005-06-20 00:36:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

> newbie wrote:

I’m confused now ;)
[snipped]
So … can I still use this? Will this plugin work for the newest version of textpattern?

I use this plugin with the latest TXP, and it works perfectly fine.
For description, it takes the excerpt, for keywords, you can add them under the advanced options under the write tab in TXP admin.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#18 2005-06-23 01:57:57

jdueck
Plugin Author
Website

Accessing custom fields directly is all the plugin does, so yeah, to some degree it is redundant now that textpattern has that feature.

#19 2005-10-06 04:10:43

kharr
Website

Thanks! Great plugin and I have it working on v4. Works like a champ. So far, the only issue that I see, is that it only works on articles not lists. So…when viewing a list you get:
<meta name=“description” content=”“ />
<meta name=“keywords” content=”“ />

Other than that, it works beautifully!

[url=http://mesothelioma-cancer-info.us]Mesothelioma Information[/url] | [url=http://weddings-r-us.com]Weddings-R-Us[/url] | [url=http://offshore-service.us]Offshore Services[/url]

#20 2005-10-11 16:56:24

michael_hamm

This goes back to zero’s post on seeing the word “BLAH” when viewing an article list. I too experienced this but managed to get it working.

I edited the plugin from this:

if(empty($id)) echo “BLAH”;

to this:

if(empty($id)) echo “”;

Seems to work fine now. If anyone sees a potential problem in the code because I did this, let me know. I’m no programmer so I’m not sure what the ramifications would be.

Michael

Last edited by michael_hamm (2005-10-11 16:56:53)

#21 2005-10-11 17:54:52

zero
Website

Michael, I only got BLAH when I hadn’t installed the plugin properly. I too edited it out but it’s not really a solution. Try reinstalling it and then BLAH should go away on its own, I think. (I haven’t used it in 4.01, btw)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#22 2005-12-04 10:47:19

c41um

I am using 4.0.2 and would like to use this Plugin if possible. I put Article keywords in Custom1, and a description in Excerpt, but am getting the BLAH problem mentioned above.

jdueck, is there any plans to make this work in 4.0.2, or am doing something wrong?

EDIT

After a little playing around I’ve noticed that this works fine when viewing a Single Article, but doesn’t work when viewing a page that is an ‘Article List’. It seems that when a List of Articles is displayed as a page, $GLOBALS[‘id’] is not set, meaning the Plugin can’t work.

I want to set up my site so that when a page consists of a list of Articles, I can put the meta information in one particular Artile in the list, with Category set as ‘meta’. Then I’ll have a form for outputting the meta data like this:

<code>
<txp:if_article_list>
<txp:if_article_category name=“meta”>
<txp:jad_metadata />
</txp:if_article_category>
<txp:else />
<txp:jad_metadata />
</txp:if_article_list>
</code>

Any idea how I can make the Plugin detect the ID of the Article with Cat=“meta” when the page consists of a list of Articles?

Last edited by c41um (2005-12-04 11:54:27)

#23 2006-03-18 17:31:06

davidwang
Website

jduek, your plugin uses the whole excerpt as the description. Is there any way to limit the excerpt to something like 20 words? Also, if I have a textile link in my excerpt, "link":http://www.example.com shows up in the description meta tag.

See also my post on this thread

#24 2006-04-06 22:29:47

jdueck
Plugin Author
Website

thanks for the suggestions. I’ve updated the plugin to include a new wordcount parameter, and I also fixed the textile problem by using the pre-textiled excerpt text that txp stores in the database.

If you limit the words like &lt;txp:jad_metadata wordcount="10" /> then it chops the excerpt down to 10 words and tacks on “…” on the end, but if it was already shorter than ten words it just returns the excerpt as normal. Either way, all html/textile/php is filtered out, since there’s no need for it in the meta tags.

Finally, I updated the plugin’s help section too, to reflect the new changes and also the fact that editing admin_config.php for custom fields is a thing of the past…

Board footer