Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2008-09-04 13:52:05

Si
Website

Re: adi_menu – section hierarchy, section menu and breadcrumb trail

yes, that’s exactly what I mean :)

edit: I think, there is another issue — if I use sections="child1, child2, child3...." and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id="mainmenu" class="section_list"></ul> when rendered.

cheers!

Last edited by Si (2008-09-04 14:44:07)

#32 2008-09-04 19:16:06

freischwimmen
Website

edit: I think, there is another issue — if I use sections=“child1, child2, child3….” and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id=“mainmenu” class=“section_list”></ul> when rendered.

that`s exactly what i tried to explain earlier, perfect. i`d like to have all children of a section displayed without the parent, is there any way to accomplish this?

thanks!

#33 2008-09-05 05:35:18

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

Si wrote:

I think, there is another issue — if I use sections="child1, child2, child3...." and don’t include the parent in the list, I get an empty list, it looks like <ul id="mainmenu" class="section_list"></ul> when rendered.

I need to make the sections attribute functionality a bit more intelligent. I’ll ponder such things over the weekend.

freischwimmen wrote:

i’d like to have all children of a section displayed without the parent, is there any way to accomplish this?

Hmm, another twist to the tale. I guess you want to use adi_menu to make a logical grouping of sections – the family of a deceased single parent! More food for thought.

#34 2008-09-08 12:18:53

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

Version 0.5 is now available. I’ve changed the sections attribute functionality in response to requirements from Si & freischwimmen. Thanks to freischwimmen for testing the new version.

See post #1 for download & help links, and a more detailed description of the sections attribute update.

If I’ve broken anything for anybody, let me know.

Summary of changes:
  • fix: adi_menu errors if ‘default’ section excluded (thanks Uli)
  • fix: adi_menu tab section hierarchy would generate lots of errors if adi_menu not installed
  • enhancement: sections attribute functionality improved:
    • children now output automatically
    • new tags ‘include_parent’ & ‘include_childless’

#35 2008-09-08 12:27:46

freischwimmen
Website

This is a good example for what reinstates my faith in the textpattern community, plain niceness. Great to “work together” Gomedia. I wish more plugins would be updated + maintained like this one.

#36 2008-09-08 14:36:20

Si
Website

Hi Adi, that’s a very fast update!
I only saw your message and had a chance to test it today — and it works like a charm, just what I needed. Million thanks!

#37 2008-09-24 19:20:04

macTigers

Thank you, adi!

Your plugin is great. I was just looking for something like that, and a navigation based on sections is a great idea. I would like to use it in present and future projects.

Would it be possible to add attributes to omit child sections (i.e. omit_children=“all”, omit_children=“inactive”)? This would enable me to have a splitted navigation. The (included) main navigation items would always show up in the main navigation. The sub navigation items in another navigation area would show up only, when the parent navigation item is active. It would work as in http://www.elch-lifestyle.de/index.php?s=Konzept. Presently i am using a mixture of section/category for navigation. Would be great if you could help me. I was trying to add this to your code, but I don’t want to mess it up! Maybe you got a better idea.

Thanks

#38 2008-09-24 23:36:28

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

macTigers wrote:

Would it be possible to add attributes to omit child sections?

Sounds like a good idea, I’ll look into it.

BTW, I looked at your website and the lovely lady is obscuring the navigation (at least on Mac Safari & Firefox) but I did glimpse some of what you are trying to achieve before her image appeared.

#39 2008-09-25 08:11:15

macTigers

Thank you adi for your quick reply!

macTigers wrote:

the lovely lady is obscuring the navigation

She is not supposed to do that :) I checked it with Firefox >2 and 3, and Safari 3.1.2 as well as with the IE 6 and 7 both on Win Vista and it looked ok. Well, so much about W3C, browsers and design :)

In this case there are two horizontal navigation bars. For each of them I would use the adi_menu tag with different attributes. In the upper main navigation all selected sections would appear. In the horizontal sub navigation bar below the items appear only when the corresponding parent section is active. In this case the main navigation consists of sections and the sub navigation of categories. With your tool it could become much easier, since I could organize the whole content by sections only.

There could be another approach by telling your script which levels should be used like use_level=“all”, use_level=“1” (only parent sections), use_level=“2” … and the depth of the levels below like limit_level_depth=“1”.

I know, this is a lot of work and maybe you got better ideas. Yet, it would be worth some consideration. I am looking forward for your answers.

#40 2008-09-25 22:16:40

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

macTigers wrote:

In the upper main navigation all selected sections would appear. In the horizontal sub navigation bar below the items appear only when the corresponding parent section is active.

Couldn’t this be implemented using CSS? adi_menu was written with dropdown menus in mind. These are done by hiding all the sub-menus (i.e. sub-lists containing children) by default apart from the one under the top level section that’s being hovered over. In your scenario, you could hide (i.e. display:none;) all the sub-menus except the one that is below the currently active section.

There could be another approach by telling your script which levels should be used like use_level=“all”, use_level=“1” …

Possibly,but the “omit children” approach might be safer.

Board footer