Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#265 2013-09-19 14:34:28

debeo

Re: adi_menu – section hierarchy, section menu and breadcrumb trail

gomedia wrote:

Not really sure what you’re trying to achieve here but using adi_menu to generate a <ul>/<li> structure, then stripping out the HTML tags to feed into txp:section_list to produce <ul>/<li> again seems a bit odd. Would it help to rewind a bit & tell us what the desired end result should be? There may be a simpler solution!

I just need few different article rendering based on depth and type of sections. Oleg’s solution will serve me well and save me from numerous pages/templates within project.

#266 2014-07-16 09:43:14

gomedia
Plugin Author

Time to get experimental!

Up until now, if you’ve wanted a menu item that is redirected somewhere else – the only way to achieve it with adi_menu has been to create a normal section. It has worked well but sometimes is not ideal, and having been given a nudge by wavesource, I’ve come up with an alternative.

In this beta version it’s possible to add virtual sections to the menu – i.e. sections that only have relevance in the adi_menu world and will not be seen anywhere else.

These virtual sections can be redirected to real sections, links or article categories (yes, categories is a new feature as well). Virtual sections can be woven into the menu hierarchy as children or parents, just like their real cousins.

… and one more thing, you can drag & drop to alter the order in which sections (real or otherwise) appear in the menu.

In summary, I’m after some brave souls to download the beta version and have a play with:

• virtual sections
  • redirection to article categories
  • drag & drop ordering

If there’re any takers, I’d be very pleased to receive feedback.

#267 2014-07-16 09:51:58

debeo

Yaaay! Thats a great news! I’ll give it a try soon. Categories and ordering are excellent addition, jut what I need for my next project.

One question though, will this thingy ‘output section names instead of titles’ from a posts above still work in this version?

Last edited by debeo (2014-07-16 09:52:21)

#268 2014-07-16 10:01:28

gomedia
Plugin Author

debeo wrote #282181:

One question though, will this thingy ‘output section names instead of titles’ from a posts above still work in this version?

Er, good question. The short answer is yes & no. The long answer is probably for real sections, but probably not for virtual sections – as they’re held in a different database table.

Remind me the reason for using names instead of titles? It’s probably a straightforward option to build in, maybe, possibly …

#269 2014-07-16 10:42:10

debeo

gomedia wrote #282182:

Remind me the reason for using names instead of titles? It’s probably a straightforward option to build in, maybe, possibly …

Hmm, to be honest I can’t remember the reason lol. I guess its when I need to show just a branch of adi_menu and eventually its subitems base on the section in which it resides. I had issues doing that with adi_menu alone just can’t remember the details why.

Anyway, many thanks for your efforts. New features are very useful.

#270 2014-07-16 13:30:36

gomedia
Plugin Author

debeo wrote #282183:

Hmm, to be honest I can’t remember the reason lol.

Let me know if you find yourself in a similar scenario, & I’ll help if I can.

#271 2014-07-17 14:16:33

wavesource

Howdy gomedia – nice job. Love your work. Installed and working great on a 4.5.4 TXP

And you got drag and drop ordering in there as well? Nice work.

Categories? I know we can direct to these by URL, but I’ve added a category, dropped an article into it, and can’t see how adi_menu is making that a little more accessible… But if that’s not intended, I think what you’ve got here is pretty fantastic.

#272 2014-07-17 17:48:58

raminrahimi

i request some new things for adi_menu :

1. that should be possible to link (redirect) with an article, example if i need a page of “ABOUT US” 2. if i need two menus to my website, with this version i can’t ! it mean that should be possible to make more navigations. example i have one mainmenu at the top and one else at the left side.

thanks

Last edited by raminrahimi (2014-07-17 17:50:52)

#273 2014-07-17 23:24:11

gomedia
Plugin Author

wavesource wrote #282230:

Howdy gomedia – nice job.

Thanks.

Categories? I know we can direct to these by URL, but I’ve added a category, dropped an article into it, and can’t see how adi_menu is making that a little more accessible

Just provides another option for menu items.

#274 2014-07-17 23:33:00

gomedia
Plugin Author

raminrahimi wrote #282245:

1. that should be possible to link (redirect) with an article, example if i need a page of “ABOUT US”

I take it “ABOUT US” is not in an “About” section? I normally set up sections for everything, & give them sticky articles.

There is an attribute articles="1" which switches on articles mode – but they’re listed under their sections.

I’ll have a think if it’s feasible to add a new redirect option to an article ID.

2. if i need two menus to my website, with this version i can’t ! it mean that should be possible to make more navigations. example i have one mainmenu at the top and one else at the left side.

Use the sub_menu attribute. So on a page you’d have:

<txp:adi_menu />
<txp:adi_menu sub_menu_level="2" />

The first tag gives you your main menu. The second is section-sensitive, and just gives you menu items under the current section.

Last edited by gomedia (2015-07-07 13:22:37)

#275 2014-07-18 00:51:27

tye
Website

Hey Adi – I’ve installed on a new installation, although not complicated… I’ll use this plugin… thanks :)

#276 2015-04-16 02:11:34

detail
Website

Adi

I have been using your fabbo plugin and it has worked a treat.

This is the code I am currently using.

<nav role="navigation">
<txp:adi_menu menu_id="" class="menu" active_class="current" current_children_only="1" parent_class="" articles="1" active_articles_only="1" article_attr='sort="title" status="live" ' sort="adi_menu_sort" article_position="before" />
  </nav>

Now I want to have a new subsection, B3, that takes in various articles from other subsections, kinda a “Best Of” type scenario:

• A
  • B
    • B1
      • B1a article
      • B1b article
      • B1c article
    • B2
      • B2a article
      • B2b article
    • B3
      • B1b article
      • B2a article
  • C

So, in the sub-section B3 menu I want to be able to pull out a few existing articles that are actually from another section.

Reckon this is in any way possible? Somehow I was thinking categories might be useful in this instance.

cheers,

graeme

Board footer