#13 2008-06-27 13:09:25

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Who's afraid of XML-RPC?

Zanza wrote:

Why? Is this considered dirty?

Unnecessary, I’d rather say.

Wouldn’t this open to a failure scenario?

No. As I’ve stated before, Textpattern won’t rely on the presence of the /rpc folder. Not even in the Preferences tab, if we really needed a preference setting for this.

#14 2008-06-27 13:13:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

masa wrote:

I never understood why one would want to use yet another piece of software to add content

I’ve only just taken the time to read what Desktop blogging actually is (yeah yeah, behind the times as always!) and don’t really see the attraction either.

Aside from what Stuart said about being on the move or for content writers who just want to add articles, maybe it’s a good feature to not have to “learn” the nuts and bolts of, say, TXP or WP?

Being able to blog independently of the system used for the site might be an advantage; disregarding the fact that a certain percentage of bloggers would probably set their own server/CMS up, at which point dtb becomes of questionable value. Unless you set up a tonne of blogs on different systems! *shrug* I can’t see me using it much, but that’s probably just me.

Perhaps OT, but interesting that in the ultimate list of dtb tools listed, not one ‘supports’ TextPattern (apparently) despite the XML-RPC download being available since TXP4.0.3.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn’t XML-RPC for dtb a sort of loosely defined standard? Surely if a server is available for a content management system that translates requests for “get such-and-such” into the actual information, it should just work with any client… right? Or is that a simplistic argument?

There must be clients that support TXP out there. Are they not in that list or do the ones there support it and the list simply neglects to mention this fact?

EDIT: Back on Topic: perhaps the existence of the rpc folder is enough then? Maybe the switch just adds confusion and the “switch” should be whether or not you upload the damn thing in the first place :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-06-27 13:15:41)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2008-06-27 13:19:33

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Zanza wrote:

Wouldn’t this open to a failure scenario?

No. As I’ve stated before, Textpattern won’t rely on the presence of the /rpc folder. Not even in the Preferences tab, if we really needed a preference setting for this.

Yes, but the system wouldn’t work as expected. It’s about facilitating non-expert users. I can’t see a reason not to implement this. What would be the point of allowing one to set a preference that would not do anything?

If you think it’s not necessary only because it wouldn’t break txp, yes, I agree. It won’t. But, as some user may safely delete the folder to prevent abuse (so I understood the thing, but maybe I’m wrong), then the check may facilitate some users. I suggested this because I think it’s a trivial check. If this would demand high programming resource, I would agree not to include.

Anyway, this is my rationale. I’m just trying to see where it fails (if it does) from a dev pow.

Maybe I misunderstood some thing at some point, though.

#16 2008-06-27 14:11:46

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:

But by way of reversing that aren’t we going to be shipping xmlrpc by default with 4.0.7? How come we feel safe enough to do that and they don’t?

I was wondering the same thing, how safe is the XML-RPC service inside of Textpattern?

#17 2008-06-27 14:19:29

maverick
Website

Is this a correct understanding?

• security risk = known issue that can be exploited?
  • reduced attack surface = any code that someone could try to exploit with or without success at some unknown time in the future?
  • XML-RPC for Textpattern is secure or it wouldn’t be included.

Would the preference button enable or disable XML-RPC by changing folder permissions?

Having read past threads, XML-RPC seems to be a feature that mature CMSes are “supposed to have”. I think it helps perception as well as usability for some people. I think it was the right decision to bring it in-house as an official development and to ship it with the default install. It’s easy enough to delete for those who don’t have a use for it, and don’t want it taking up space.

I suppose one could set it up as an option during the install, then its either installed or not – no preference needed . . . .

Mike

#18 2008-06-27 14:20:32

hakjoon
Website

btw the xmlrpc package also provided the TXP wrapper class which is a great way to interface with TXP from outside scripts, tools, etc. the RPC package is one client that accesses it, but it can be used for a bunch of other things.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#19 2008-06-27 14:21:32

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

This actually came up in another thread about a week ago Bert.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#20 2008-06-27 16:55:22

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

When I was using Nucleus CMS, we had an XML-RPC security issue, but we were using the XML-RPC for PHP library.

In Textpattern’s case, the XML-RPC interface was written by Pedro Palazon and then Wet took it over. That’s why I was asking about the security of it, but Wet has answered that in the thread you link to. I can now leave the rpc directory around every time I synch with SVN, no need to worry about script kiddies who can’t afford a blog but want their voices heard.

#21 2008-06-27 17:06:31

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

+1 on having a preference that defaults to off (no diagnostics, no “has user removed part of TXP” detection) that makes the xml-rpc interface respond with a HTTP 503 error at a very early stage during execution.

Personally, I don’t expect to actually use XML-RPC myself (apart from testing/debugging).

#22 2008-06-27 20:22:12

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

personally i dont even see the point of xml-rpc for textpattern seeing as i’m assuming you cant use metaWeblog.newMediaObject (so no file uploading/attachment to articles, no article images, etc), no way to input custom fields which all of my txp sites have to some extent, etc etc. unless these changes were made in the past while?

#23 2008-06-27 21:38:08

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just thinking about how TXP copes with this, I don’t think it needs to do anything whether in Prefs or anywhere else. For those of us that use SVN we will probably be aware that the rpc folder can be deleted without any effect on TXP. If you sync directly from your host server you will end up with the folder being re-installed on each update but you can then delete it. If like me you sync from your PC/Mac you simply wouldn’t bother uploading the folder or any modified files within it.

The main sector we are looking at here I think is new installs. If that is the case then I think some blurb could be added to the install instructions suggesting that if the user has no use for xmlrpc then they needn’t bother uploading the folder in the first place. I think that is all that really needs doing. No messing with TXP for checks or Prefs or anything.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#24 2008-06-28 10:07:52

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

ruud wrote:

+1 on having a preference that defaults to off (no diagnostics, no “has user removed part of TXP” detection)

Ok, the “no” is definitely clear. ;)

What is not so clear (and I’m interested on) is the “why”. “Unnecessary” is not an answer: nothing is really necessary apart a post-and-publish function…

Why do you think this isn’t a worthy option for user interfaces? Not to be argumentative: I’m professionally interested in dev’s opinion about that. Even privately, if this is not the appropriate place. Anyway, I won’t go further with that.

Thanks.

Board footer